675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

first ride since wales 675 fest

Discussion in 'General' started by triple n, Dec 12, 2009.

1. triple n

triple n

woke up this morning, looked out the window and wooohoooo...blue sky...yesssss..quick coffee and get geared up, thermals, extra t shirt, 2 pairs of socks, leather suit and triumph over jacket...waddled out into the garden, switch on bike, push starter and .......nothing.....bollox......plug in battery charger for ten minutes....try again....nothing.....more bollox......brain wave moment, see neighbour, have you got a battery booster, yes, can i borrow, yes, waddle back to bike carrying booster which weighs the same as a 1978 mini, cant plug in booster, no room in battery compartment, fiddle and swear at it, managed to get neg terminal on, hold pos terminal on by hand, problem...cant hold booster lead and pull clutch in and press starter with only 2 hands....mmmmm...call daughter,tell her to pull the clutch in while i start the engine, whats a clutch dad..that silver lever there, pull it in...no, pull it and HOLD IT IN, thank you... try starter...nothing.....even more bollox...notice big red switch on booster, turn switch, try starter again and.....yessss, we have lift off...leave to tick over while i have more coffee and a smoke...return booster to neighbour, thanks mate, youre a life saver...waddle back to bike, still trussed up like michelin man and sweating like a good un...another smoke to releive the stress and its helmet and gloves on and we're off to tintagel to see my mate....nice run through saltash, callington and launceston and meet my mate at davidstow airfield.....follow me down here he says, so i duly follow, a mile or so and he pulls over and says this road is dead straight and half a mile long, theres no people and no old bill, see if you can keep up....so off he goes and off i go.....warp one....two....three....shit, this cars fast...but not fast enough, stuck on his bumper all the way....pull over and turn around, ...right mate, says i, see if YOU can keep up this time and off we go again...get the bike rolling and NAIL IT, first gear, front wheel up, second gear, front up again, third, fourth, fifth and sixth, rev limiter in first 4 gears.....run out of road....aaargghhhh....hit brakes and pray....phew...pull over and stop....how close were you says i, you was pulling away from my mate, how fast was we going says me, about 135 says him...check speedo....131......big grin....man that was fun.....jump in says my mate, so in i jump and off we go...roll it in first, floor it in second and up the box, arse goes back in the seat and cant hold my head up, christ, this thing moves...a couple runs up and down and we pull over, both with huge grins.....then off to tintagel for a coffee and a smoke then home via launceston and tavistock, via burger van for more coffee and bacon roll....all in alll a thoroughly good ride....cant wait for the next one....and just in case you were wondering, the car is a subaru impreza sti, running about 450 bhp....and he couldnt keep up......cars....bollox....who needs em when you can have a 675 instead....god i love this bike....cheers all.....sorry about the long post but thought it was worth telling :twisted:

2. Nice post nige, I had a car once that beat a CBR600 in a traffic light grand prix :)

3. Rowly

Rowly

Hey up Nige, I take it that's the end of the one liners from you? Phew!!! playing dangerous there with a Scooby, you may have been quicker on the day but someone else determined to piss you off how far would you have gone to get the better of him, good fun yes but take it easy, some of these petrol heads stop at nothing to get the upper hand.

4. triple n

triple n

i dont race things generally, apart from the odd sports car that fancies a play, this was just a spur of the moment thing to find out who was fastest and my mates a good driver....was fun though but i wouldnt like to race him when hes using methanol...he reckons he gets another 120 bhp on that :eek: :D

5. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

Great yarn!!! I enjoyed reading it. I know the road you took - nicccce :cool: Have you sorted the battery problem?

6. Good day was had by all, and at least you managed to get out on your bike today, roads were damp all day today were i live, so it was a together day.

7. triple n

triple n

yes ED, battery is sorted, gonna leave it wired to my optimate till i go out on it again....next week with a bit of luck...ive managed to get THE readout to 131, ill have to nip to bude to see if get get it higher :D :D

8. henrymc

henrymc

Ah up Nige sounds like you had some fun there mate. :smileup:

9. triple n

triple n

reckon i did, henry...reckon i did....all at legal speeds of course ;) enjoy the trip mate, im not at all jealous....really...im not