675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Flat battery !!

Discussion in 'General' started by koosh, Nov 9, 2009.

1. koosh

koosh

Hi. can anyone help me ? Ive got a 06 plate 675 and the batt keeps going flat, I use it every day.
    I had a new batt fitted about a month ago and a new voltage rec. Then the other day out of the blue the batt was flat again !!!! PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP ME :(

2. Rowly

Rowly

Get it back to your Triumph dealer or the where you had the work undertaken you should be covered by a warranty for both battery and regulator and of course for the work carried out.

3. D41

D41

Are you using an alarm on your bike, koosh - it's the 1st thing that springs to mind if you've already installed a new batt. & rec.???

4. henrymc

henrymc

yep my thoughts also, if so, get a good trickle charger and plug it in every night, in my case if my bike sits for more than about three days the battery will go flat, its a bit of a pain, i have thought about getting rid of the alarm but sods law that will be the time when it gets nicked, :cry:

5. hmm i have an alarm fitted and i can leave the bike over 2 weeks and still starts first time,
    must be different alarm or something?

6. i got a datatool 3 and if the bikes left 3 days without use or on the trickle charge the battery's fooked, big alarm + small battery= problems

7. Rowly

Rowly

I got one of those alarms fitted to mine Godzilla? yeah its called "oy get off my bike you thieving bastard" :lol:

8. LOL but seriously i can leave it almost over 3 weeks and it still starts. wierd.

9. koosh

koosh

Cheers people. Ive got a alarm fitted just seems stange how it goes flat after being okay for about a month. I had heard that they are shit with batteries.
    Cheers again

10. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

The battery is very small. Have you tested it? I'd guess your alarm is responsible and I also guess that the battery doesn't get enough charge - get an Optimate.

11. kingfixer

kingfixer

Unfortunately i have no power in my garage so can't trickle charge the battery, but it has lasted for 3-4 weeks before going flat :?:

12. Rowly

Rowly

Two options for you Kingfixer? first, use extension or buy another spare battery and keep,it trickle charged in your house then when your other goes flat change them over and re charge the dead one, then you'll always have a fully charge battery just in case ;)

13. henrymc

henrymc

Hi Mick, thats strange cos i know you have the same alarm as me, scratching my head on that one as i had my regulator tested at the time and it was ok.
    On the subject of your bike you could not get in the house could you?
    i thought on doing that as the garage i got mine in is concrete and lets in water after heavy rain.

14. Rowly

Rowly

I have the same problem Henry despite have a rubber seal on the bottom of the garage door plus one on the inside and rain still gets in especially when there's a westerly wind blowing, I have several old towels at the back of the door to soak up most of the water cause it goes flows to the back of the garage otherwise, not good for keeping things stored on the floor and even worse creating a damp atmosphere for your pride and joy.
    Or and her in doors complains about having to wash & dry extra towels, I have got no chance in hell of ever bringing my bike into the house even if it did go in, fooking hell D.I.V.O.R.C.E :eek:

15. henrymc

henrymc

have you thought to concrete a channel in the ground in front of your garage door?
    Its all along the side of mine thats leaks Rowly and there is a dip in the floor that looked like Rutland water before i drilled a 30mm hole in it to let the water away, moveing house next year so will be looking for someplace where i can build a proper garage, had the ok to bring it into the Conservatery tho but there is not much room.

16. Rowly

Rowly

Its like everything else Henry good intentions but never get to do it, where abouts in Lincoln do you Live?
    The reason I ask is my mother was born in Lincoln in a little place called Bishop Norton its just off the A15 north west of Market Rasen

17. kingfixer

kingfixer

I have no problem with water as the drive to the garage runs downhill slightly, but having a spare charged up battery is good idea thanks Rowly :D

18. henrymc

henrymc

So you are part yellow belly then Rowly? :quack: I live not far from there, near the Hospital and around the corner from the Lincoln Prison, (have been told thats where i belong :rotfl: ) i got a great little road for testing the 675 on, its the b1398 it goes all the way from Lincoln to outside Scunthorpe, can get the 675 singing well on that one :heaven: by the way the term Yellow belly comes from the uniform the Lincolnshire Regements wore during the Napoleonic wars, the all had yellow faceing's on them hence the name (just in case anyoue thought i was being a smart arse) :smileup:

19. Rowly

Rowly

Funny that Henry, I nearly got a yellow Daytona, and had my eye on a Ducati 999 in yellow and finally I did look at a Gixer in yellow and black, must be true then :lol: :lol:

20. T9Steve

T9Steve

Your problem sounds very similar to my friend whos Apprilla 1000 kept doing the same thing a few months ago. In the end the replacement of the Alternator fixed the problem for good. Your local dealer should be able to check the Alternator output to see if its failling under load.