675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Gen 1 - Gold wheels

Discussion in 'General' started by SW73, Sep 30, 2021.

1. SW73

SW73

Folks, as most of you will know I've a tornado red gen 1 which I've owned from new since 2009. Occasionally, we northerners find a bit o brass and think about updating our 'look'. I've seen total triumph have gen1 gold rear wheels bnib. New old stock but no fronts. I don't recall seeing any Daytona or street with wheels this 'brassy gold'. Can anyone?
    As it happens, I've thought about buying one and trying to find a matching front or colour match with powder coat....but it all seems too hard.
    I suspect having a set powder coated in the gold Swatch colour below would achieve a better balance and match.
    Thoughts? I've not seen a red with gold wheels but works in Ducati land....and I've never seen the wheel colour total triumph have.
    Someone might be looking for one so thought I'd post it up. Screenshot_20210925-190059.jpeg Screenshot_20210929-173304.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using 675.cc mobile app

2. I could be wrong…. But I think there was a 2008 (just before the 2009 bike update was released) black bike that had gold wheels, it may have been a factory special to shift older bikes, it was sort of a JPS lotus type thing. Back in those days though triumph seemed to do a fair amount of batches of ‘specials’ as such with the only official ‘special edition’ colour officially being the blue/white bikes.

The gold wheeled bikes I’m aware of are the 2011 (model year but released late 2010) Caspian Blue which had gold wheels, and IMO the best paint they ever did, and the 2011/12 Phantom Black which was a metallic black and had gold wheels as stock.

Maybe look at the Ducati gold wheel colour, I can’t remember it but the 1098 tricolore used a really nice flat gold that wasn’t too in your face and really close to the ones mentioned above

Sent from my iPhone using 675.cc

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. SW73

SW73

I recall the black with gold wheels. I just simply can't recall a real brassy gold like the n.o.s. being sold. Who knows. I'll have a think and give it a go over the winter. What's the worst that can happen .

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  4. scaramanga

scaramanga

i have black and gold 2011 model
    hard to say from photos but they do look a little deeper gold than mine

5. IMG_3203.JPG

There you go, it was 2008, black, and the wheels are a much deeper gold, the later caspian blue ones were a lot less bling, as below:

IMG_0413.JPG

Maybe they still look bling but they are a more neutral gold

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. SW73

SW73

@Phill748 that's really interesting. The wheels on your black one look about a match for the ones on eBay. I've only ever seen the lighter gold...even on the black ones. I suspect triumph often just put on what they had on the shelf! I think on balance I prefer your colour. Right....off to the Powder coater with a picture

7. Yeah you can see on the picture of my blue bike the gold almost has a white look to it under bright sunlight, the gold that was on the 2008 bike was much deeper, and stands out more, much more like the older Ducati bronze wheels.

The 2010/11 bikes though were all the same gold consistently and are different wheels as they changed them in 2009 and are marginally lighter

• Like Like x 2