675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Hand numbness

Discussion in 'Riding Tips' started by gibo675, Apr 28, 2009.

1. gibo675

gibo675

Hi all
    This is my first time posting anything so please forgive me if there are any mistakes :?
    I have only had my 675 se a few weeks my first sport bike and not been on a bike for a few years.
    I was out at the weekend with all the good weather, and had only done a few miles when I was getting pins and needles in both hands and some numbness. :(
    The only thing I could think it was it the gloves? They are a summer gloves.
    When I picked the bike up I had on my winter pair due to it raining did not notice a problem.
    Has anyone else had this problem or know of a solution.

2. Hi Gibo....check out the post below....someone already asking about numb fingers!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=504

I also suffer this problem....but only in my right hand....I think it something to do with my gloves tho...but the forward riding position probably doesn't help either!

3. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

gibo, I don't get any such problems with my 08 bike. Are you sitting comfortably... relaxed grip on bars, gripping tank w/knees, supporting torso w/stomach muscles? (I actually lean on my tankbag!!!)

4. gibo675

gibo675

Thanks Sparky, thought I had looked for a post about this but not good enough though.
    Thanks Edski675, I will try to adjust my riding position as for supporting my torso with stomach muscles that’s another question (will lean on my barrel!!! lol) Also need to get some protection for side of tank any surgestions?

5. kingfixer

kingfixer

Gibo, I have just ordered tank protector & sides from tech spec, they're in usa but will post to uk. they came highly recommended, does any one else use them or know what they are like? :)

6. bubbaf

bubbaf

Just ordered some Stompgrips from this lot £34.99 + p&p

http://www.intobikes.co.uk/products?bf=1&bk=8011640

7. Getting Stompgrips helped me loads with this problem.

8. I have been thinking about getting Tech Spec as I think they look better than Stompgrips. What was the total cost in £s including shipping also you will have to let us all know how long they take to arrive.

Midgeman.

9. kingfixer

kingfixer

Midgeman,

$56.95 i just calculated the exchange rate and it would be about £40.00 all in : :) , i will let you know how long thet take to arrive it has been 7 days so far :)

Mick

10. Thanks for the info not a bad price.

Try and put some pics on the site if poss.

Midgeman.

11. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Watch out for the import tax.............. It will be aroung £14. No tax no delivery.......

12. kingfixer

kingfixer

jap, just to let you know and everyone else there was no import tax!! :D :D :D

13. i've had the Tech Spec pads on my tank for a year now, no probs, they haven't budged at all, and all things considered they do a good job and in my opinion they look better than the stompgrips..... BUT, if i was in the market again for some tank pads, i would seriously consider the Stomps because they are made from a more flexible material which lets you easily mould it to the contours of the tank. that allows you to go all the way up the side of the tank including the overhang bulge sort of bit...... and that must be more effective.

The Tech Specs definitely look like the smarter option (that's why i bought them) but with hindsight, i don't think they can be as functional as the Stomps.

14. I had this problem with the Gixer I had.

Summer gloves didn't help.

Have you tried using glove liners ??

Hein Gericke sell a good set, or alternatively go to Boots (chemist), buy some cottton gloves - they work just as well.

15. gibo675

gibo675

Thanks scarlet
    not used my summer gloves last few rides out and not been too bad, also adjusted my riding position which also helps.
    Was at Squires cafe on Sunday and was looking in the shop they do Stompgrips but did not have any in for D675, going to see if they can get some in.

16. ozzer76

ozzer76

I know everyone has gone for the hand position here but I have just sold a street triple r and I used to suffer from this and it was definately caused by my gloves.

Had some Alpinestar SP-1's a size too small which caused numb hands and a humb finger. Also, if I tighten my GP Pro's up too tight at the wrist i get a numb sensation in the hands. The GP Pro's are designed to be pretty tight anyway so I only velcro them tight enough to do the job.

Problem solved.

17. Davetona

Davetona Moderator Staff Member

I had the same problem and put it down to my gloves being too small. A lad who works next door to me said he'd buy them, so I bought the same gloves only one size larger.
    I still occasionally suffer a numb index finger on my right hand.
    Coincidentally the gloves are Alpinestars SP-1 !!
    I am going to try some others to see if the problem goes away.

18. i too get this on my right two fingers and thumb but in those cold mornings i get whitefinger which is caused by using air tools for the last 16 years so im on an uphill batle ,the things ive tried are larger gloves ,helped a little ,softer grips which helped alittle ,heated grips good for about half an hour ,thicker gloves helped too im looking for some gel grips for the daytona but havent decided which yet

19. fkkr1s

fkkr1s Moderator Staff Member

I have them on mine and they are really good, they allow me to take the weight and strain off the bars reduces any issues with my wrists and arms.
    As a side note, I thought Si was now selling the tech spec pads?

20. fkkr1s

fkkr1s Moderator Staff Member