675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Headlight misting

Discussion in 'General' started by Penfold, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Penfold

Penfold

Has anyone else had a problem with the headlights misting up? Hi beam side on mine has started to mist up, low beam is fine. Started last week when it was raining and now it's abit colder does it all the time. Starting to get on my t***! :evil: Took it back to dealer who took a picture as they've never seen it happen before and are going to contact Triumph bout it. :(

2. andysjt

andysjt

yes ,
    my 675 has done it from new , it soon clears when the bike gets warm , i never bothered to take it back to the dealers its too much trouble t/b/h

3. Rowly

Rowly

Penfold, get your other halves hairdryer and blow the hot air through in the general direction of the headlamp, the access is a bit tricky but it will eventually clear but it will return when you use your bike in cold weather :roll:
    But other than that you'll have to live with it I'm afraid, joys of our great British climate.
    PS don't forget to remove the protective cover off the back of the headlamp first ;)

4. Penfold

Penfold

Cheers fella's, did try using a hairdryer on it over the weekend did clear it but came back next day when i went to work :twisted: . Will try it again today before i go to work. Still waiting to hear something back from dealer. Will let you know outcome.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not experienced this, is your bike kept outside or garaged?
    Is this is on the low or high beam?
    Reason for asking it that I have a twin driver thingy fitted that enables me to run with both lights on

6. Penfold

Penfold

High Beam mate. Work late evenings so bike is outside under shelter at work and stored in my garage at home. Misting does clear while in garage but comes back when i take it out, also clears if i have high beam on all the time.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Maybe a twin driver thingy is the way ahead?

It works by putting a reduced amount of power to the high beam but full power when high beam is selected.
    Been using it for years and no probs. (Looks better too)

8. henrymc

henrymc

If you have time or know how to do it Penfold, take the unit off the bike look for cracks or check the seal around the edge of the unit, on the back of the headlight unit there are two locater's that locate onto the bike, check for cracks on them cos i had a misting headlight and i found that one of those locaters had a crack at the base of it due to someone being heavy handed fitting the headlight unit on the bike (not me) i used some plastic metal to repair it and i have no probs since.

9. mine do steam up as well but it think its only the nose cone lenses that steam up, i think the bulb/light unit is sealed am i wrong?

but no probs other than that

hoping do do my hids in the new year as well

10. kris675

kris675

My low beam has done it from new but no probs on the high beam, dealer has had look and can't find a problem.

He said it may be down to storage but the bike is garaged, think i'm being fobbed off thanks for the handy hints above.

11. Penfold

Penfold

Well got a call from dealer and Triumph say it is due to weather conditions and headlights have built in vents. So abit disappointed with them :( . Dealer has told me to let them know if it keeps happening (which it does) and they will get back on to Triumph. Seem weird that it only the high beam side that is misting. Tried the hairdryer fix a couple of days ago but no joy. So left riding a great looking bike that everyone likes with a misting headlight!

12. JDB

JDB

Low beam doesn't mist because bulb provides heat which gets rid of the condensation.
    Dual light drivers will get rid of it in both sides.
    I complained to Triumph and got no support.

13. Penfold

Penfold

Thinking about doing the same, are they easy to fit and where can you get them?

14. JDB

JDB

Dont have them myself, search on here or the "other" 675 forum. Loads of chat about them.

15. Penfold

Penfold

Well finally had a results! My dealer asked to keep them informed as to wether the misting headlight has cleared or not so i've been e-mailing them every few weeks and Triumph want to inspect the headlight and are going to change it for me. Just have to book it in when weather clears as my street is like an ice rink :cry:

16. JDB

JDB

Good luck - I sent my dealer the photos of it happening and got this reply -
    "I have had a response from Mark Swepson Head of Triumph UK Warranty.
    They have had a look at the pics etc and have let me know that they cant help out under warranty.The misting can happen and is not a manufacturing or material defect
    ."

Trust you get some more sense than I did.

17. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

It has started happening on mine, too - right h/light misted over. Bike is garaged, garage is a bit draughty and isn't heated. The headlight looks awful. Roll on spring.

18. I think it happens to them all. Put the high beam on for a few minutes and it clears.

19. Deegee

Deegee Moderator Staff Member

Guys, it's worh checking the little rubber breather elbow on each headlight assy is as near as vertical as possible, unkinked, and that the pipe and end are clear. (like a resident spider inside)
    It's a fairly poor design in truth, but if the air in the light cools and contracts after use, it draws air in to prevent a partial vacuum. Moist air, or water possibly.

Or it could be cracked. :(

20. fkkr1s

fkkr1s Moderator Staff Member

Mine was doing this back towards the end of last year - (2009 model) could not tell you whats happening now - AS I CANT get her out of the garage. watching the news right now it looks like it won't be the weekend either... :x