675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Hello 675 people

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Branagorn, May 12, 2020.

1. Branagorn

Branagorn

Hello Everybody,

Im a prospective owner. I've been bikeless for about 3/4 years now. Its an itch I have been trying to scratch, but since becoming a home owner it simple hasn't been affordable this whole time.

I previously had a Kawasaki ER6F, and then a Honda CBR600. These were great first big bikes. But I had started to feel I had control of the power, and it had left me wanting something more.

During this fallow period I've scoped out various models, and I can safely say I've made up my mind and have been able to start saving. Im in the market for a 675. It is just one gorgeous looking bike.

I'd ideally like a 2012 model, so that it was as new as possible, but retaining the underseat exhaust. for me that is such a great look.

During my search I got to know the standard colour schemes and to my eye, the red is the most attractive. Until a week ago.

I was unaware of the Super 3, limited edition bikes. The yellow/black models, of which there were only 75. Which also retains the underseat exhaust. That for me, would be the ultimate.

However, given that there were limited numbers. I may find it difficult to find one. I may have to stick with the red. I can see two available on ebay. No. 19, which is unfortunately highly priced, (at £8500, merely £500 less than the original sticker price). And No. 6, which is located in Norther Ireland, making it impossible to view, unless anybody on here is aware of its history?

Anyway, I thought I'd join the forum, as one way or another, I see myself becoming a 675 owner.

Looking forward to chatting with you all,

Alex

2. Frequent Flyer

Frequent Flyer

Welcome in Alex - a 675 is a great choice of bike and compared to a cbr600 it will be a lot more engaging/fun to ride, especially on the road.

Obviously it’s a bit difficult to test ride anything right now, but I’d suggest you still do, if you can wait. I rode all the current 600’s/750/848 bikes back to back on one weekend to make my mind up back in 2009/10 - if I was doing the same now with an 8.5k budget, I’d try some early 2010’s 1,000cc as well - they come with the electronics and some extra hp Having ridden an S1000rr on track for two days (and chased plenty on the 675) it makes a difference there - but the Daytona is still very capable and lots of fun!

If you still want to buy a 675 without riding one (maybe stick to dealers with warranties then), then for £8,500 you know that you can get a 675r with Öhlins/Brembos and most of the common upgrades (Arrow exhaust, rear sets) and then still have plenty of cash left over for some tasty modifications such as a slipper clutch, engine work or even carbon wheels... there are 2011-2012 underseat 675r’s going around the £6,000-6,500 asking price.

Someone else chip in if I’m wrong, but apart from paint, some carbon parts and maybe a quick shifter/cowl/exhaust https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news...tober/oct0112-triumph-daytona-675-super-iii-/ - not sure what else you get with the limited edition bike? A good stock 2012 bike should be obtainable for around £5k - and it’ll probably have some of the “limited edition” mods on it too.

That’s £3,500 extra with a standard bike (or £2,500 with an r model) to spend on other stuff like - BST’s £2,500, Suter slipper clutch £500-£600 (or a 13’ one), new tyres and suspension work £500...

3. starman

starman

Hi Alex and welcome...

Some great advice above.

I like yourself also thought the under exhaust Gen2's looked the nicest out of the Gen's and was originally looking at a 2012 675R version because I liked the spec and colour, however like you mentioned are at a premium. Lucky I spotted a Diablo Red on auto trader with a similar spec and I was hooked! I've had it since the end of feb and only ridden it about 4 times since then, so looked at it more than riding it, however looking forward to riding now the lockdown is starting to ease.

I've seen the super 3 version on ebay however I personally don't think its worth the extra wedge for its exclusivity, do you want to be polishing it and keeping the mileage down to keep it's value up or enjoying it? Get a 2012 675R instead!

Good Luck in your search whatever you decide.

red1.jpg

(Recent Lockdown Clean)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Welcome to our friendly little forum Branagorn.

Some great advice above, & having previously been a CBR rider I must affirm Frequent Flyer's recommendation for a test ride. The D675 is
    quite a different type of ride imho, and perhaps not to everyone's liking.

I would have thought it may be a bit of a buyer's market? ( things being how they are), so perhaps a little patience will serve you well.

Good luck, & keep us posted on progress (I'm sure plenty on here will be pleased to offer you their advice & opinions on any specific bikes you see offered).

5. Welcome in, I’ve also had a CBR but found it rather bland, the Daytona has a nicer engine character and fills in the midrange to feel a bit more like a ‘big bike’ without giving much away at the top. Facelift 2009-12 is your best bet for sure. If you test ride remember to still rev the thing! I remember letting a mate ride mine and he was underwhelmed because it has such a flat torque curve he didn’t see the point in revving it past about 7k rpm. The only other thing to mention is that the Daytona has a strange steering feel compared to the cbr, hard to explain, perhaps the front while steering quick enough feels a touch raked out. The CBR IMO has a superb neutral steering feel. Good luck with whatever you decide, a nicely spec’d standard model will get the job done with an upgraded rear shock, the R just is a little better in a few areas such as feeling stiffer at the front with more instant bite from the brakes. Also the adjustability in the R suspension is fantastic.

6. I should also add, again just my opinion... the Daytona does NOT react well to having more touring based tyres fitted, if you test ride one that’s had monster truck tyres fitted with flat profile then cut it some slack

7. StMarks

StMarks PTG

That example that Lenny's spotted for you looks like it's taylor made to fit your wishes, and the fact that it is 6 of 75 would appear (imho) to make it the most desirable one of that whole edition.?

8. KetteringChap

KetteringChap

9. Branagorn

Branagorn

Hello again all, thanks for all your advice here.

While its likely a very different bike, I did have a test ride of my friends 03 Daytona, 650 I believe? And was mightily impressed with it, twas a great fun ride.

My budget very much isn't at the top end. I Initially thought I could get away with £5k, getting to know the market bit better, might have to get stretched.

Your example looks simply amazing!

I had spotted this one, its the number 06 that is unfortunately located in Northern Ireland. I think where it is, and not being able to easily view it is the main issue here. As there are a few small details that give me an uneasy feeling about it. Almost as if it were the classic case of being 'too good to be true'.
    The asking price started out at £5800, and shrank to £5220 in under a week. Excellent for the buyer, but It makes me wonder if there is anything wrong with it.

Another detail I have spotted is the ebay sellers username, trackattackthomas. Its probably a fair assumption to make that under his ownership, the bike will have be ridden HARD, and who knows however else under the other 3 owners in its 14000 mile life. Maybe the opinion of the forum would be like I'm expecting to much in this regard. But Im sure we'd all like to think our purchases haven't been ragged before we take ownership. What do we all think about this particular bike?

10. bladebiker

bladebiker

11. Captain Steffydog

Captain Steffydog Moderator Staff Member

Best make sure that bike isn’t Si’s one. He had no end of issues with his Super Plop 3, pretty sure he had 16k plus miles on his. So if this is low it won’t be his.

I saw it and tbh it wasn’t for me. Yet I like the yellow.

Happy hunting, plenty about so don’t rush.

Welcome on board.

We all know Blue is the fastest, so any of those slower colours will be fine hehehehe, kidding!

12. R4CKS675

R4CKS675

Welcome aboard (hopefully literally for you in the near future).

The 03 daytona will be a completely different bike and far outclassed by any of the current crop of daytonas. If you enjoyed that you'll love any year of the recent models.

£5k should be able to find you a decent bike if you look around hard enough. You might not end up with the super 3 that you've looked at but no doubt you'll be able to find a clean low mileage example somewhere close to that. I recent got my 13 model with 8k on the clock for just over £5k so there are definitely bargains to be had. I got mine in the depths of winter though when prices drop.

13. Branagorn

Branagorn

I have had a funny relationship with buying cars/bikes. I decide initially which colour I like best, and to this day I don't think I've managed to get one yet. Something reasonably priced/specced pops up and I've always conceded my preference. Perhaps not this time eh?

No. 06 is currently at 14k miles, there is however as blade biker pointed out, No. 08 in Yorkshire which im interested in. Currently at 17.5k Miles. Does anybody know if Si is still active on the forum, and if he could tell us which bike was his?

14. Captain Steffydog

Captain Steffydog Moderator Staff Member

I messaged him for you, he thinks it was 33 or 34.

15. Bigmac

Bigmac

I’ve got a bit of a soft spot for those super 3’s

16. KetteringChap

KetteringChap

As for 6 of 75 and the price drop
    MCN is reporting that most bike dealers are down 80% year on year sales for the month of April. It may be that the dealer needs to get some cash flow and wants to move metal.
    It may be worth a call to the dealer to ask if they will deliver to England, many in Northern Ireland will. Also ask for a 7 day acceptance window, where if there is any obvious damage, defect or deviation from the bike as advertised, it is taken back for a full refund.
    Plan B
    Arrange for it to be delivered to your local bike workshop/dealer and ask them to put it on the bench for an hour for a nose to tail inspection, again to be returned if there is damage, defect or deviation.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. Branagorn

Branagorn

Unfortunately in this instance, No.6 is being sold by a private seller. So it won’t be possible to get those assurances. Would be much easier if I could meet the chap and have a look in person. Even if there wasn’t a lockdown and I could travel. It’s a relatively expensive trip to then find out it’s a lemon.

18. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Well, that is the colour,,, ;))

• Like Like x 1
  19. KetteringChap

KetteringChap

Looks like number 8 in Leeds is your best bet then :)
    I am sure there will be some wiggle room on the £5,990 price in today's market. I feel it will be the dealers discounting bikes before private sales too.