675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Helmets

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Stu, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Stu

Stu

How much do you spend on your lid. I'm looking at spending £430 on a Schuberth C3. Am I mad. Discuss :)

2. Garf

Garf

How much do you value your head?
    Fit is more important.

That reminds me... I should get a new lid.

3. Stu

Stu

At the moment £99. Not much really is it. That damn Caberg has to go :evil:

4. ive tried arai, nolan, kbc, caberg..even a 30 quid nitro...nothing fits properly ( i have a strange shaped bonce )...the only thing that fitted was a shark, £230...i think its worth trying everything you can and make your choice from there...i dont think you get a better helmet the more you pay as they all conform to standards anyway as long as you go for a recognisable name, not some cheapo imported crap

5. I was once told never pay less than £100. I have the cheapest Arai in XS as this was the only one that fit (I blame forceps during being born). I need a new helmet and so does the wife but keep putting it off. Your brain is pretty important so in theory money should be no object in this dept.

My thought is, if you can afford it, then get it.

6. I have a Shoei X-Spirit which came in at £489. If I am honest, I bought it because it fit perfectly, no other reason, if a £100 or £200 'skid lid' fit any better than I would have bought that instead. If the helmet doesn't fit properly then no number of safety stickers and/or endorsements are going to help it protect your head! General rule has to be try on as many as you can and only when you find a selection that fit perfectly do you start looking as snazzy paint schemes and price.

7. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

Ive got an HJC AC-12 Shiva. Not expensive at all, only £89 I paid for it, but fits very well and has a 4 star safety rating apparently. I got this one over 2 years ago, so it wont be long now before I start looking for a new one, as my visor hinge is starting to wear out.

8. I bit the bullet and got a C3. Its a great design and definately less noisy than previous. My only minor gripe is the fit which is generally v.good all round but at high speed (130+) I find my nose can just touch the sun visor. I contacted Shuberth and although they don't do a padding 'kit' they did agree that I could just add a bit of something to the head band to reduce compression. The flip up front is great if your genetically deficient in the eye department and the vent sytem seems to cope even in icy winter conditions.
    I'm not sure I'm convinced about the pin lock visor as the edge of the 'double glasing' part is right where your line of sight is when exiting some bends but I'll either get used to it or tilt my head at a better angle!
    Overall its a really well thought out and quality product. If you can afford it now you might get a good deal.
    Jim

9. Stu

Stu

C3 on order in matt black. It should be here on Wednesday. Good deal from Hein Gericke as they are letting me have it for £410 and I can pay on the never never. :)

10. I wear a Shoei X-Spirit small fits like a glove perfect. Cost a bit but your head is the most important part.

11. I want an AGV as they have all the best colours and designs. Unfortunately, no matter what AGV I put on my head I either feel like its loose at the sides or trying to crush my forehead. So I find that only Arai and Shoei fit.

12. jimjam39

jimjam39

Just ordered a Shoei XR1000 (Tom Sykes rep) for £200, they were originally £360 ish. Not bad if you dont mind wearing a year old colour (and to save £160 i dont mind at all :D ). Also got a dark tint visor for £34 quid from racevisor .com

13. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

I haven't heard that expression for many years. Stu mate you're showing your age :D

I have a Shoei XR1000 from the bike show. I forget the price but maybe £250? It was the previous year's model. I don't care, I'm not vain (much ;) )

14. Stu

Stu

Young at heart :D

15. JimJam, Where did you get the XR1000 from?

16. jimjam39

jimjam39

Got it off ebay (its actually from race leathers, but m and p and j&s are all on there for the same sort of price). Also try MCN website, they had a few for the same price (all depends on size).

17. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

I got the Shoe from aacrington Suzi Centre £220

It's a great lid but not happy with the de mist insert it dont work that well and causes me loads of greaf :?

18. jimjam39

jimjam39

Are you talking about the pinlock thingy Jap ? Not had a chance to test mine out yet, but only heard good things about it of others :?

19. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Yes the pinlock thing worked for two or three mornings then started misting up between the lenses........it's Bobbin :(

20. Has anyone else had this problem with the pinlock as I was hoping that this would be the answer to all my misty problems?

I currently use a foggy face mask which works perfectly but leaves a nice mark across my face for 20 mins. I want to use my bike for work when I have meetings in Cumbria and don't want to look like a muppet when I stand up to present.