675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

hibernation?

Discussion in 'General' started by spike, Nov 1, 2009.

1. spike

spike

well its november the 1st and winter is on its way at mach 2 with its arse on fire!
    so are you a big girly pants like me and hibernate the bike for winter, or are you like scott of the antartic and brave the elements?
    i seem to be putting off the day for hibernating to get in that last ride but its starting to get a bit hairy by me with all the wet leaves (i dont do slow and its getting a wee bit dangerous for my style of riding :( )
    im curious what do you guys do ride or hide?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I won't use mine in the winter, I bought purely for recreation purposes. Roll on summer

3. D41

D41

What's "winter"???? :cool: :cool: :cool:

4. Rowly

Rowly

Stop winding us up D41 or I'll phone US immigration and tell them your over there
    illegally and they'll ship you back to cold county Durham where you belong :lol:

5. Rowly

Rowly

Well Spike, I suppose we could say that we've had an extended summer just to compensate
    for what nearly turned out to be another washout, so I'm tempted to wait just a tiny bit
    longer, but as soon as they start throwing the salt around then thats it for me.
    It will soon be spring again :D :D :D :D :D

6. jimjam39

jimjam39

I will ride all year round as long as its dry when I set out. I was out for an hour on it last christmas day :) . Roads were empty :D . I do ride slower when its colder though, and I make sure there has been no salt down for a few days.

7. henrymc

henrymc

I am with you Rowly and Spike,
    was going to have my last ride of the year friday as i am traveling to work every day at mo,
    its one hour forty minutes in the car,
    down through the fens to Ely in Cambridgeshire, some good corners but some deep ditches if you got it wrong,
    as i was haveing the weekend of i was going to finish early and get home before dark as normaly i have to wait untill eight pm for the security guard to start his shift,
    up and dressed in the leathers out to shed,
    went to push bike out of shed and shit flat rear tyre,
    checked it out today and found the valve was leaking, so not sure if i will get the chance again this year,
    if the weather is good for the Triumph factory tour i may brave the cold, otherwise Marmite is in the garage untill the buds come on the trees,
    not spent all that money on it for to have it eaten by salt,

8. henrymc

henrymc

Ps, hey Rowly the down side of D41 liveing where he does is he has to put up with the yanks,
    rekon i will have the bad weather,
    good fish n chips,
    good real ale n good Guinness,
    maybe even a bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale, :beer: :smileup:

9. I'm like jimjam, I ride through the winter,weather permitting, though I do have the advantage that it's warmer down here in Cornwall :D The only time I won't go out is if it raining when I go to start out, but if I get caught in the rain, I deal with it :roll: They don't put too much salt on the roads down here, except the A30, which I avoid if possible, it's as boring as hell & the favourite hunting ground of Devon & Cornwall's finest fun spoilers :evil:

10. Rowly

Rowly

Do you mean a good couple of pints of the finest Black Sheep followed by
    a brisk walk round Whitby then onto the best Fish & chip restaurant in
    Yorkshire the Magpie, :up: Oh yes!!

11. andysjt

andysjt

Im with jim-jam , i ride all year round , winter rides are a bit shorter , slower & less frequent but i don’t worry about the rain unless its pissing down, icy or snow then i don’t go .
    So jim-jam if you fancy it one of the dark days of winter ? one advantage there are less cops about looking to bust bikers

12. henrymc

henrymc

yea something like that Rowly, i like a drop of Black Sheep now and again,
    not been to Whitby, but the chippy round the corner from me does a good bit of Cod and the Haddock aint bad either,
    chips are good also, :rotfl:

13. D41

D41

LOL - Just givin' you lot a hard time (so I won't mention that it's 29C today!). Seriously though, the canyons where I ride will get v.cold soon enough. We have plenty of English pubs over here, which are all odd considering that they bear no resemblance at all to a real English pub....there is one about 3 miles from here though that is EXACTLY like an English pub & the food is excellent - but at $7 a pint I don't go there too often unless the sporran is full.

Funny, I went there a couple of years ago during the World Cup - the waitress (Yorkshire lass) assured me that the place would be packed, - and it was - at 6.30 in the morning!!!! After England beat Uruguay or whatever 45-nil all the British ex-pats were piling out of the pub - "Whoooaaahh!! - Is that a f*cking Triumph? Whooah! That bike f*cking rules, mate! Whoooah!!" - It was awesome!!

14. henrymc

henrymc

Here is one for you D41, i was in Tallin in Estonia about four years ago and they had Newcastle brown on draught in three or four pubs in the old town,
    have never seen Newcastle brown on draught anywhere but Newcastle,
    as to the canyons getting cold at this time of year i would think that they get pretty cold of a night even in summer, i take it they are in a semi arid area?

15. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

+1

I'm looking for a winter hack. D/K what yet. I like riding in winter.

16. paws

paws

I used to ride my sv650s all year round, but the 675 is kept tucked off the road up on paddock stands, cover on her and battery charger on :cool:

17. redseven

redseven

Well It's been a nice day in sunny Essex today but a tad fresh. I forgot to put my thermal top on,so my arms started going a bit stiff. All the same I don't ride much in the winter months but prefer to keep it running because of condensation building up on the internal parts. The leaves on the roads will soon pass. My bike is used as a toy and I'm really lazy with cleaning, so I won't be using it much.

18. i ride throughout the year come rain or shine, just gotta be extrta careful and clean bike often
    got caught out last year at the ace in the snow:

alondonbikers_com_img_ashx_56971c47be2a486d3967693a1197145b._.png

19. redseven

redseven

Brave man curtis. You could take a pic with a proper camera? Graphite 675 in the snow would make a good picture?

20. Rowly

Rowly

Rather you than me Curtis, never ever ride in snow or ice, not cause I'm scared
    of falling off but the possible damage to the bike, even on a low speed off you can
    have £££££ of repairs, you may be a good rider but the risk is far to great for me.