675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

HID's - Road Legal???

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by DaytonaSparky, Mar 26, 2009.

1. DaytonaSparky

DaytonaSparky

Hi everyone,

You may or may not be able to help....but i'm sure someone is bound to know.....

I have read somewhere that HID headlights aren't road legal if you just chuck them in the original light fittings.

Does anyone know if this is just utter tosh?

Or is this correct? Don't really want to spend all that money just to get pulled by plod.

Cheers
    Mark

2. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Hi Daytonasparkey, great logo. Hope they are legal or Edski is going to be well miffed. :eek:

3. jimjam39

jimjam39

He's probably not got round to putting them on yet :lol:

4. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

In the Department's view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon. If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new Xenon HID headlamps. The reason for this is that the existing lens and reflector are designed around a Halogen filament bulb, working to very precise tolerances. If one places a HID "burner" (bulb) in the headlamp, the beam pattern will not be correct, there will be glare in some places and not enough light in other places within the beam pattern.

Ouch :eek: :( :?

5. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Highly unlikely but bet he will be Cussing Now :? :? :?

Edski have you gone "ileagal" on us ;) :? :lol:

6. Graham H675

Graham H675

fitted many hid kits to cars from cheap to dear one and all produced a good light output and correct beam pattern the only thing to be weary of is the d675 runs a projector type headlight and the heat from a hid buld is alot more than ur h9 bulb so might cause probs along that side!!!!!

7. DaytonaSparky

DaytonaSparky

Cheers guys....I think i'll have to think a bit more carefully about this one!

8. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Are there any H9 Upgrade bulb's woth trying, I've seen the "Blue" light ones and the Halfords "All Weather" Bulbs" at £27 a pop. Has anyone given these a go or do they not do the H7 & H9's we use :?: :geek:

9. DaytonaSparky

DaytonaSparky

I have seen some H7 "Xenon effect" bulbs on Ebay....claiming 30% more light....but I have seen other places on the internet stating that these fake HID's actually reduce the light emitted due to the colouration of the bulb.

I guess you can find both sides trying to fight their corner if you look hard enough!

10. Graham H675

Graham H675

u can get an up rated h7 and h9 can get them at trade price if u like but the only thing is the wattage of the bulb is higher and don't know if the 675 loom will take it

11. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Cheers Graham i'll stick to the standard bulbs. Jap :ugeek:

12. Graham H675

Graham H675

you could go for a bulb that emmits a cleaner white light i'll look in the bulb book tommrow and see what we got

13. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Any joy Graham :?: Could do with a bit of light for the trip :?

14. SteveH

SteveH

Not to throw a spanner in that argument (as I've checked out the link and it seems that's the government line ;)) But surely a light reflector is just a passive item that will reflect the same pattern regardless of what type of light is shone on it?!?!?!

I think this is a more prudent argument as a projector headlight will have a more focussed beam and with a brighter or hotter light, you may risk melting the front of the lens or burning it and discolouring it giving less light output. Even worse though you could get the lens so hot that it blisters the paint on the fairing round the headlight (which I'm guessing isn't going to be a cheap fix, or worse again get a part so hot it bursts into flames causing, well to be honest probably writing the bike off.

Personally I don't think it's worth it for me I do most of my riding in the daylight. I'm only our in the dark if I get caught out. My old 1997 916 gave enough light for me to ride at night (when I got caught out) with a dark tinted visor so if I want more light I'll just change to a clear visor ;)

Cheers

Steve