675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

house painting advise

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by andysjt, Jun 2, 2009.

1. andysjt

andysjt

Absolutely nothing to do with bikes i know , but was just wondering if anyone on here has any knowledge of painting the outside of a house , i have three gable ends which are quite high & the house is completely rendered the render is in good nick just need a new coat of paint . but i am wondering
    A) can it be done off a ladder if so how do you hold the paint ?
    B) can you use a roller or has it got to be a brush ( its rough face render )

sorry if these are stupid questions( please feel free to take the piss ) but i have never painted outside before , any advise would be appreciated
    cheers
    andy

2. Stu

Stu

Andy

We had ours painted 3 years ago by an unemployed mate. He sprayed the render with pva glue as the render was a little loose. He painted it from a ladder using a shaggy roller but I can't think where he had the tray. I think he used a can hanging off the ladders.

A scaffold tower would be safer though.

Stu

3. hi andy, it would be better to use a tower scaffold, do the high bits first and youll probably get away with just a days hire..ladders are dodgy to work off :eek: but you can get gadgets to hold paint cans...as for brush or roller...buy a cheap one of each and try it, see which works best, failing that, have a word with your local decorator center or ring up a decorator and ask...hope this helps... a little bit

4. spike

spike

dont know if its any help but b+q do a cheap telescopic roller pole of different sizes, i used one for my staircase walls and found it really handy, there only about a tenner as well ;)

5. Stu

Stu

And don't forget to park the car close by if you are using a roller :scramble: :whaa:

6. andysjt

andysjt

thanks for the advice , i going to get a 7m tower for a few days , just need a slow few days at work to do it but at the moment i am stacked out till end of june , so will have to be july

7. crj

crj

or organise a 'bring a brush and bottle party' and set up a barbecue over a weekend

8. hi Andy, my wifes a painter and decorater she said do it from a ladder with roller and extension pole also best if you have some one at the botom of ladder to load the paint onto roller.

9. Stu

Stu

Don't do it when the tennis is on - guaranteed rain :mysterymachine: (nice smilie but I don't know what it's for). :D

10. andysjt

andysjt

scoobi doo ???

11. henrymc

henrymc

Hi Andy. I would advise the tower as its cheaper in the long run than if things go wrong ie you fall of the ladder. I work as a shopfitter/joiner foreman with over 30 years in the job and have seen some real stupid things done on site to save a few quid, go down the local Dulux center and they will have rollers for exterior render + you will need a 4 inch brush for cutting in your paint to the soffit and barge boards (edges where you cant get at with the roller,) While other paints may be cheaper to buy, Dulux is the best cos you will use 3 to 4 coats of the cheap stuff and you will only need 2 of Dulux to get the same effect.

12. andysjt

andysjt

hi henrymc,
    thanks for those wise words , i agree with everything you said ( now that it’s done ) I thought I could do it with a ladder but not a chance, so I got a 7m boss tower for the week @ £ 106 well worth the money it would have taken me forever with a ladder , I still needed an extension pole to reach the apex even of the tower, ours must be a high house & it has 4 gable ends for some reason .
    I used 80 liters of santex & 15 liters of undercoat to do the whole house & garage & It took me every night after work & two weekends to finish it , it looks nice now it’s done but I wouldn’t want to do it again anytime soon .
    as a treat for finishing im off to the WSB at Donnington on Sunday ( should be good )
    maybe see you about someday who knows
    ride safe mate
    cheers
    Andy