675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Ignition barrel / steering lock

Discussion in 'General' started by MattHarris, Jan 1, 2019.

1. MattHarris

MattHarris

Hi all
    Hoping to get some advice.
    Some less than pleasant folk tried to steal my '07 675 daytona. Only damage is that the steering lock is broken. At some point I'm hoping to replace it but I've been using the bike since.

I've been keeping my eyes peeled for spare parts on ebay - but what I'm curious about is if I get a replacement barrel lock etc, is it possible to remove the security screws and literally drop my existing key barrel into the replacement steering lock column? Meaning I'd be able to continue using my existing keys and just have a new steering lock surrounding the key barrel?

I'm aware the security screws will need some machining to remove, but I can get that done.

If it isn't possible and I have to use the new key that comes with the ignition barrel, would this require reprogramming the ECU for the new key?

Thanks! s-l1600.jpg

2. scaramanga

scaramanga

early bikes do not have coded keys

3. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Yes it is possible to remove the key barrel from the lock

4. MattHarris

MattHarris

This is interesting to know! Thank you!

5. MattHarris

MattHarris

This is great news, thank you. Have you had any experience with this or just aware it can be done?

6. StMarks

StMarks PTG

I broke my key blade off when I crashed on track a couple of years ago.
    Removing the snapped section was proving to be frustratingly difficult, so I removed the complete lock & stripped it down.
    However I am going from observations regarding the key barrel removal, because I didn't need to do that in the end. I just seem to recall thinking that I should be able to swap the internals.?
    :-?? Because I didn't take mine out in the end, I'm now considering that my previous post have been rather presumptuous.? :-??

• Like Like x 1
  7. Best Answer
    Its easy to do with a bit of patience. If you put hacksaw slot in security screws you can unscrew the electrical end. Then lever off the lock back plate. And take apart the lock mechanism which you will need key for. Then you can see the inside end of the lock barrel. There is a sprung plate which you push in to release the barrel. You can do all this without remaval from yokes and if needed get new security screws from Triumph. Any probs give me a message.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. As you’ve found out steering locks are next to useless and you are much better off with even a disc lock
    You can’t to my knowledge get replacement parts unless you change the whole ignition & key and would be much easier to replace the fuel cap and the seat lock is just pop riveted on