675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

I'm thinking of buying a SatNav for my bike

Discussion in 'General' started by Aceman, May 7, 2016.

1. Aceman

Aceman

I understand that Tom tom are selling their new top of the range model Tom Tom 410 with a £100 discount if bought at the Peterborough bike show next week. It retails at £399, so £299 at that event.

So here is my question: What are the questions I should be asking? I know that some SatNavs can connect to mobile phones to make and receive calls, which would be really useful. But what other factors should I be considering?

2. What phone you have mate? Most people have phones these days that are more than capable of all the features on sat navs. OsmAnd and Google maps both have the feature to use maps with no data connection. You can load tyre routes into OsmAnd. £20 waterproof phone case vs £300 satnav, might be worth a think, I've used my phone for years now (used to have a tomtom rider v2) and never had any issues.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Same as above.. I use my phone and a ram x mount, don't bother with a waterproof case as I'm a sunny rider ️. Seems to work perfect for me!

4. Seems like phones are the way forward but I have a Garmin Zumo 590 and love it. Useful for car and bike. My old man just got the 410 and has had some issue's I.e couldn't programme a route in and all sorts. But the 410 will be capable of doing anything you need. Connecting to Bluetooth headset phone etc. Dunno bout music capabilities.

5. Rossgo

Rossgo

I have the rider and to be honest I only use it for the sat nav, I don't use it for phone calling or for music etc, I am very happy with mine, I have used it everywhere and it hasn't let me down yet!!

6. W_esty

W_esty

Aceman if this is of interest my father has a garmin Zumo 660 with life time mapping - spare as he went and got a BMW & their "navigator" instead!
    Intension is to list it shortly

I looked at using my iPhone; for the mileage I have done with the sat nav on I have no regret

7. emma-lou

emma-lou

FYI Martin. Btw the only thing I can think of is when you're wearing gloves it's a nightmare to push buttons, so voice control? Maybe?

image.jpg

8. Stu675

Stu675

Whatever you get (I recommend TomTom) make sure it has winding routes feature. Saves you literally days that it takes to plan decent routes.

We're in America at the moment and using google maps on our phones while charging off the car both my iPhone & @treesr Samsung batteries are being discharged. Plus the screen is hopeless to easily plot decent routes.

• Like Like x 1
  9. D41

D41

I'm with Emma...I tried one once but the gloves won't work, so then you have to stop, etc. Then I tried the fecker at work, but because I'm in construction none of the new streets are in the database, so it's bloody useless!!

Plus....I'm kinda of the opinion that it's nice to get lost when you're out on a ride...you never know what new little gem of a road you might find.
    Before you run out of gas. F***!!!

10. Get a stylus and makeshift a holder for it next to your phone

• Like Like x 2
  11. We have a Zumo, tbh I don't find it amazing, nothing wrong with it, just not particularly fast and the scale seems confusing.

I would get a Tom Tom if doing it again because it has the 'twisty roads' mode that is really useful!

12. I use an android smartphone with Here navigation app (app made by Nokia) and it works well in the car, but on the bike sometimes it's problematic. If the sun hits the screen of the phone, it will heat a lot and freeze. The touch screen will not respond for a while. I have to keep it in the shadow and let it cool down for a minute or two, but it was reliable enough to get me from Brussels to Hinkley last year, and I am going to use it again this year.
    If you want to use smartphone with android, I recommend Here and maps.me apps. They both offer offline maps and turn by turn voice navigation.

Here is a quick comparison between the two.
    Here:
    - has an interface better suited for vehicle usage
    - shows current speed, speed limits and speed cameras
    - uses less CPU
    - you can plan your trip and set waypoints on their website and will sync with the app
    - more natural and more helpful voice indications
    - can't import routes (only waypoints from here website)

Maps.me:
    - highly detailed maps, if you get lost in forests or construction zones
    - lighter maps (less MB)
    - can import KML tracks, created with Google Maps or converted from Garmin routes
    - takes longer to calculate route and offers no alternative routes to choose from.
    - basic navigation. No current speed, no speed limit, no speed cameras.
    - more CPU intensive (heats more)
    - basic (very) voice indications.

Both of the apps are free and have free offline maps of the entire world. I mainly use Here and I keep maps.me as a backup, when Here's maps doesn't know about a strange road I'm on.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  13. Aceman

Aceman

Thank you all very much for your replies. As usual, you've all been helpful.

I know a guy who is about to sell his Aprilia for a Daytona 675. I've advised him to get onto this forum, saying that it is the most helpful and friendly bike forum I've used.

14. Aceman

Aceman

Please keep your experiences, both good and bad, coming.

I understand that some satnavs let you play music through them, and some let you play music from the phone. I'm trying to find out about the functions that I am not aware of too.

15. gary1966

gary1966

I have used a garman Zumo 550 for last few year excellent nav, if anyone's interested I will be putting it in for sale section over the weekend.

16. D41

D41

I tried it mate.....but then I was like..."How much effin' bullsh*t do I need to carry to use this thing?? I mean seriously...using a fecking 'stylus' to get about on a bike...it lasted approximately one ride before it went in the trash.
    I'm usually trying to get away from phones & stuff like that when I ride....I carry one in case of emergencies, but just as much in case of if someone else has an emergency...downed biker, etc.
    We as bikers are usually the first on the scene of another rider...whether he/she is part of your ride group, or because we ride the roads less traveled, etc....I did a course a while back through our local fire dept. on how to remove a lid, stabilize a downed rider, etc.
    It was pretty badass.....had myself a ride in a medivac helicopter for my efforts.
    Actually...I wasn't "in" the chopper....they have you in that capsule on the side....the lower temp. keeps your core at the ideal temperature or sommit (ie. fecking cold!).

I dunno if I've ever mentioned it before, but I'd encourage anyone with an old lid they want to trash to do the same....give it to the Fire Dept. instead of throwing it out....that lid may come back to help you out one day, even when you're NOT wearing it.