675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Immobiliser

Discussion in 'General' started by Ninjaboy, May 13, 2009.

1. Ninjaboy

Ninjaboy

Just paid the deposit and done the deal on a new 675SE and when I went to change my insurance I was told the bike does not have an immobiliser as standard. :eek:
    Schoolboy error on my part for not asking when doing the deal. Gutted as I am that I need to get one fitted to comply with the insurance has anyone got any recommendations as to what system to fit. Needless to say, the deposit and the forthcoming 4 days of Northwest 200 binging means funds are somewhat limited. :!:
    Cheers chaps - 675SE

2. Rowly

Rowly

Yeah, go for Triumphs own plug & play system, its a Datatool S4 I believe, justs
    plugs into the connector on the bike without compromising the wiring integrity

3. Just tell the insurance. You only get a very small reduction anyway which is not worth the outlay or the grief of an alarm IMHO

4. spike

spike

an alternative is to get a data tag fitted, recognised by insurance as adaquate deterent and it only costs £60
    plus you can buy gap insurance which covers your excess on your standard insurance for £100 tops ;) speak to your bike dealer about this
    thats the route i went down anyway, not had a good experience with bike alarms on my previous bikes :?
    but thats just a personal point of view :D

5. This is a really important point. Often the initial outlay for the security is actually more than you will ever save in insurance for the lifetime of you owning the bike. A good thatcham approved disc lock and/or chain can sometimes save you almost as much!

If you are wanting to save on your insurance, go and get IAM. If you are wanting to stop your bike being stolen, get a very big chain (most bikes are lifted after having expanding foam sprayed under the seat to stop the alarm, rendering an alarm and imoboliser useless). If you are wanting to get your bike back after being stolen, get a tracker (this again will probably cost more to install and maintain than it will save you in insurance though).

6. Quick resurrection on this one, anyone know if the 2011 Tona has an immobilizer as standard or only aftermarket options?

7. StMarks

StMarks PTG

The only immobiliser that a 2011 bike has is the Datatool alarm (if it has one, it was an optional extra).
    Unless someone has installed one retrospectively.

8. Cheers mate!

9. Stu675

Stu675

No, Yes.
    only started with the 2013+
    Although the alarm which was dealer/manufacturer option could be mistaken for standard and that has an immobiliser.

D'oh! pesky mouse getting in before me!

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Cheers as well Stu, good to get a bit more info on it!

Was getting a quote from bemoto and the lady was saying it must have one! least i know for sure now thanks to you both

11. I have got a datatool s4 alarm unit for sale plug and play. £50 posted. With fob .