675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Insurance Premium

Discussion in 'General' started by superpete675, Nov 26, 2009.

1. superpete675

superpete675

I am forever being quoted ridiculous numbers for insurance premiums. My last quote for fully comp was over £4K which is just stupid. I'm currently insured with CIA and am paying just over £1K - I'm told the premium is so high because I haven't held UK licence for long (only a year and a half) and that it's not kept in a garage - although I have been licenced for more than 10 years (in Australia) and keep the bike in a secure car park in my apartment building!

Is anyone able to recommend a good insurer and broker or give an idea of what they think a reasonable premium would be for central London?

Much appreciated.

2. may be worth trying the bike insurer and as a last resort, bennetts, other than that, just ring as many as you can...compare the market may be worth a shot

3. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

I found the cheapest policy using the old fashioned method of sitting with the yellow Pages and the Telephone for the afternoon wading from company to company. A lot of effort but well worth it i have always found. Cheaper than anywhere i've ever found on the internet!

4. henrymc

henrymc

Hi Pete
    pm paws, she works for MCE insurance and may be able to help,

5. paws

paws

Cheers hun, yup i indeed do and i will try my best to help anyone out with cheaper quotes :cool:

6. tesco compare is what i used. Managed to get fully comp from express insurance for £390. aged 25, 1 years ncb and 1 year riding.

7. superpete675

superpete675

Thanks everyone for tips and recommendations - so far I've found mce offering the best at just under £700, cheers paws :toast: but wow d8mok, you've done extremely well there :clap:

Well, I'm a keep lookin' :!:

8. try H&R insurance too mate. on my R6 i paid 300 tpft quid as a first bike

9. Rowly

Rowly

I can understand folk going down the tpft route to save money, but if you value your pride and joy pay the extra for full comprehensive especially if your bike is fairly new, it goes without saying if you spill your bike on tpft and its a total loss then then you'll get naff all back if its down to your mistake.

10. yeh i agree, but my R6 was only a 2000 W reg worth £2500 so wouldnt have been end of world. I were simply suggesting that they do cheap quotes. My renewal on the 675 with them was 500, but obviuolsy swapped cos express were only 390 :D

11. Rowly

Rowly

I personally am looking to get cheaper insurance but my problem is not so much age but not having any no claims bonus after been out of biking for a few years so I know it can be extremely expensive, I think like myself its just a matter of waiting it out until it comes down in price, but as you have said there are savings to be made but one policy doesn't necessarily suit all individual needs, I suppose there is a point at which the value of a bike is not worth the extra outlay of what comprehensive insurance offers but £2.500 is still in real terms a lot of cash and if you had your wallet nicked with that amount of money in it you would be well and truly miffed? ;)