675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Just started some turbo cider

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Edski675, May 26, 2009.

1. Edski675

Edski675

Administrator Staff Member

4 litres of apple juice, 250g sugar, and a package of wine yeast from Wilkos. £5.49 for a demijohn, plus I bought a siphon and an airlock.

Will let you all know how it goes :D

2. If you drink a load of that shit you'll be running around like an empty wetsuit Ed.

3. Edski675

Edski675

I'm looking forward to it :lol:

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi Ed is this to run the bike on instead of petrol . :D
    Anything to make your bike go faster :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

5. Edski675

Edski675

No. It's a substitute for my meths :twisted: It's bubbling away, I don't think I'll try it just yet :D A few weeks and you'll have to come sample the brew :D

6. Edski675

Edski675

Because it's so warm my brew is going really fast. The airlock can barely keep up. Very exciting to watch the bubbles shooting through. I'm going to buy a bit more hardware so as to get #2 going :D

7. I've got all the kit to do this (in my Gran's garage) but haven't a clue where to start. Is there somewhere on the tinterweb that you can recommend?

8. Edski675

Edski675

It's really easy. Clean the demijohn thoroughly and then sterilise it and everything else you're going to use - you will need a funnel, and a syphon with a long tube attached (they sell them in Wilkos - essential so as to give the mix a stir) with diluted Milton or similar - not household bleach!!!!! Rinse thoroughly. In practice this is the most time consuming job.

When the kit is ready, pour 250 - 270g white sugar into the demijohn, and then pour in 4 - 4.5 litres of apple juice. You don't need an expensive brand, ordinary Morrisons stuff from concentrate is fine. Then add the yeast.

Wait 10 mins or so and give it all a good stir. Add the airlock. Leave it in a warmish place for a week or so, depends whether you like your brew fizzy or really fizzy. If you like it really fizzy, it'll be ready after about 6 days. If you like it just fizzy, then leave it till it stops bubbling and starts to clear.

To bottle it you will need a sterilised syphon and sterislised pressure bottles. Fizzy wine bottles are ideal but you can cheapskate it perfectly well by using recycled sparkling water bottles - as long as they have held pressure and are scrupulously clean and sterilised, they will do fine. To make the cider fizzy you will need to add a small amount of sugar to the bottle to prime it, typically a level teaspoon. If you've decided to bottle it while still cloudy there should be enough yeast still in suspension: if not, you will need to add a very small amount of yeast to the bottle. Siphon in the hooch, remember to leave a gap for expansion!!! Screw the cap on very tightly to stop an explosion. Store at room temperature away from light. Should be ready to drink after a few weeks. remember that it might still be cloudy, if it has started to clear then be careful not to disturb the sediment when you open the bottle.

9. Thanks mate, sounds easy enough, looks like I'm off to visit the Gran this weekend.

CRAP, I can't go on the bike if I'm to carry back some demijohns!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ed you seem to know a lot about this, have you got something to tell us :lol:
    Do you brew wine as well :?:

11. Edski675

Edski675

I like a tipple :D Government is always warning about people drinking too much but hell we all need some relief from the stress that they impose and anyway it's not as bad as valium :cry:

Wine? - I used to, but stopped when we lived in a small flat in London as we didn't have room for all the kit. But I'm going to buy a kit from Wilkos and get it going again.

12. Stu

Stu

Funny this thread has popped up now as I've been thinking of starting some home brew :cheers:

I have an ambition to be an alchofrolik :binge:

13. Edski675

Edski675

It's now starting to clear. Smells very alcoholic - I used a high tolerance wine yeast. Should have taken the specific gravity to calculate the alcohol content - damn. Once clear next stage will be to bottle it - will add a dob of sugar and yeast to cause a secondary fermentation in bottle to make it fizzie. I will use two two litre sparkling water bottles from Netto - 25p each!

14. Edski675

Edski675

It's still going :eek: So I've moved it to a cooler position and it's slowly starting to clear. It smells very alcoholic and I think it's going to give me a headache :D

15. Edski675

Edski675

I drank some today - it was most excellent :D Very much cider, rather than apple juice. Only had a bit mind, as I was siphoning it into another demijohn to let it clear completely before I bottle it, although as I'm going to start a secondary fermentation in the bottles I don't spose it really matters whether it's clear or not. I didn't measure the specific gravity but I'm guessing at around 7% alcohol. Not at all bad for £2.50 for 4 litres of apple juice and an ickle bit of caster sugar. So good in fact that I've started #2 today, I used some yeast enzyme this time to see if it makes any difference. It's already got a nice froth and is bubbling away, the reaction started very quickly so maybe that's the yeast enzyme, dunno. I'm thinking about getting a pressure barrel and doing some beer next.

If you've never tried it, do give it a go. It really is very easy. You only need a basic bit of kit, a demijohn (£5.49), a funnel (99p), a siphon with a stalk thing on the end to stir the brew (can't remember price but about £1.50), a sachet of wine yeast (69p), and an airlock (can't remember price but £2 for 2 from memory). You can buy it all in Wilkos for about a tenner. You must wash and sterilise everything first, I use normal wash up liquid followed by diluted normal sterilising fluid, and then rinse it all out thoroughly. Pour in 4 litres of apple juice, 250g white sugar (golden gran is OK), and sprinkle in the yeast, stir it all up, fit the airlock and away you go. It's terrific fun to watch and the proof of the pudding really is in the drinking :D

Ed

16. Edski675

Edski675

...and now just started 40 pints of beer. Mmmm :D :D :D :D

17. Edski675

Edski675

I'd had only a few drops before (promise!). I still haven't bottled it so it's still flat. Anyway, this evening I shared it with one of the Spanish lads next door. I thought of it cos he was wearing a T shirt with 'las efectos de la sidra' printed on it. Javier and I drunk quite a bit of it - I reckon it's 7 or 7.5 per cent - and we got moderately pished :evil: It was pretty good, very drinkable and not at all bad for a first attempt.

18. c4rlos

c4rlos

am tempted to give this a try myself !

19. andysjt

andysjt

20. Edski675

Edski675

Just invetsed in a pressure barrel to store my beer. Didn't want to wash and sterilise 40 beer bottles!!! The brew is done, I'll start a secondary fermentation in the pressure barrel, and it should be ready to drink fairly soon :D