675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Justin Vs. Sussex Traffic Cop

Discussion in 'General' started by SV_Justin, Jun 15, 2009.

1. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

I went to court today over my alledged offence last summer where I got stopped for "contravening solid white line markings", and due to "insufficient evidence and the lack of merit which the case had" the case was thrown out and I got to walk out an innocent man with a big grin on my face leaving the big fat miserable Sussex Traffic Cop sitting behind his desk. Yippee! Right, time for a beer I think! :D

2. SteveH

SteveH

Nice!

Well as long as you really 'didn't' contravene solid white line markings! ;)

Have one from me!

Steve

3. Good man - well done. I'll have a lager cheers.

4. Stu

Stu

Nice one J. I'm interested in what you mean by "insufficient evidence and the lack of merit which the case had". How did you beat them :?:

5. andysjt

andysjt

everyone likes a winner ,

well done its time someone took them on & won , they rely on folk just rolling over & taking it . if you can be botherd to take em on some times it goes your way

but only you know if justice was done :?: :?

6. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

Well due to a technicality in the highway code, I was actually riding within the law.

Part of rule 129 of the Highway Code states "..provided the road is clear and it is safe to do so, you may cross a solid white line to pass a stationary vehicle or object..." And as there is no definition of the word stationary in the Highwa code, taken from the oxford english dictionary it means "Remaining in one place, not moving"

SO the long and short of it is, that if you happen to wonder over the lines when passing a stationary line of traffic, provided the road is clear and it is safe to do so, you are well within the law. Hah! Shove that in your pipe and smoke it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. andysjt

andysjt

yes, i knew that allready as you say its in the highway code , but what puzzels me is why did it go to court in the first place ? if its what you say then they had no chance of winning ,so all they have done is waist your time & cost everyone of us ( who pays tax ) some money .

like alot of things today no common sence used

but its a good result for you & motorcycling in general

8. Stu

Stu

Nice one. You can cross a solid to overtake a tractor too if it's moving less than 10mph. I've been trying to find some info on the web as it could be useful to read up on.

9. spike

spike

10. Not sure how reliable this site is as this quote is from it :

Surly that part at least is wrong.

11. Good one Justin - about time someone saw sense.

I think (from what i've been told) you are allowed to cross the solid white, if another vehicle is stationery or going 5pm or less

Othewise everyone would be stuck behind push bikes, going down roads with solid whites.

12. think its 10 mph, but not sure off top of my hean, maybe we all should know our highway code better lol

13. Ha never - they keep chaning to too much :lol: :lol:

14. Highway code rule 108 - Double white lines where the line nearest to you is solid. This means you must not cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or side road. You may cross the line if necessary to pass a stationary vehicle or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10mph or less.
    Laws RTA sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 26

15. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

Yep thats the one. And no it shouldnt have gone to court. I couldnt believe it when I got the summons 5 months later!!!

If i'd done wrong then I would have put my hands up, but as I hadn't done anything wrong, bring the stubborn barsteward that I am, I didnt give up and took the a**holes to court and then they didnt even bother hearing it!

Like you said a big fat waste of time, my money and the tax payers money.

Go chase the pikeys that rammed my gate down and stole my caravan wednesday night rather than trying to nick the easy target!!!!!!!!!!!

Grrrrr!!!!