675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Knee Down School

Discussion in 'General' started by Godzilla, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Godzilla

Godzilla

Hi, thinking of having a go at this:

http://kneedown.org.uk/

Anyone done this or heard of anyone who has?

Anyone got any opinions?

Cheers

2. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

Personally, I learnt by spending 45 minutes around a nice quiet roundabout in kent with a mate to tell me how close or how far away from the tarmac I was, and to take pictures so I could see what I was doing wrong. Much cheaper, and a greater sense of achievement when you feel your slider scraping the ground for the first time!

3. D41

D41

What an excellent idea Justin!! - Yep, photos are THE best way to figure out how to improve your body positioning etc.

4. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

I tried and tried on my own for a long time but it was no good so eventually gave up and got help from my mate. then I realised I had plenty of lean, too much in fact but my body position was wrong. Then after the first touchdown I was hooked!

5. henrymc

henrymc

I have been toying with the idea of going to Ron Haslam's school at Donnington park,
    you get to use CBR600rr's, It is lot cheaper than the CSS,
    I know it is a race school but you learn all about getting your knee down plus a lot of other good stuff, I think Haslam has a pretty good record on a bike, not sure what pedigree anyone at the CSS has :?: Another guy, with a good record and supposed to be a good teacher is a guy called Mick Boddice. He is a exTT racer and TT winner,

6. Godzilla

Godzilla

Ive thought about CSS one reason being insurance companies offer a discount when you have completed the CSS day.

7. henrymc

henrymc

Check out the price difference between say Haslam's school and the CSS Godzilla.
    At the CSS you use your own bike and it is still a lot dearer than Haslam's school, as to a insurance company giving you a discount because you have done a track school not sure I would buy into that, have never heard of that one before, not saying its not true just I would be sceptical about it.
    If you took every test and done all the courses, joined all the clubs that you could get a discount from your insurance for having membership of you would either be getting your insurance for free or you would be out a fortune in costs to get real cheap insurance.If you want a discount from your insurance you are far better off going for a advanced riders course with the police, track school's will not learn you road craft just track craft,

8. Mick Boddice is supposed to be very good! he is based down at darley moor derbyshire way, a mate of mine mum & dad and clerks of the course

9. henrymc

henrymc

I have been told that Mick Boddice employ's the same Instructers as Haslam but his track school is not as busy as Ron Haslam's.
    Either way IMHO either one is better than the CSS because both of them have as I said before proven race experience. All the theory in the world is no substitute for practical knowledge. Before anyone mentions the fact that Leon Cammier was having lessons from Andy Ibbot during the year.
    I know he was and I saw him with Cammier at a couple of the BSB rounds this season, Cammier is a s***hot rider anyway so why have your so called Guru on display at the meets?
    CSS is probably a sponsor of his, just a guess on my part as I am a old cynic.

10. Godzilla

Godzilla

OK henrmc, I should have worded it: the insurace company i am with now asked on the phone as I was getting a quote, and told me they gave discount and when the form arrived to complete is was mentioned on there as well. Didnt mean to imply all policies were the same.

11. Having done the Californian Super Bike school, I would highly recommend it. I've seen a mix of people there from successful club racers to wobbly ladies on Harleys. Everyone thinks it's pricey before they do it. Then afterwards your opinion changes.
    I haven't done the Ron Haslam school but when I compared it to CSS it seemed more expensive as the courses were half days! Something like £260 for a half day.
    If it's just getting your knee down then CSS may be a long road. They don't teach body position until the 3rd level I think. And then it's taught as a happy accident that comes from keeping your spine and shoulders in line when you hang off (bum crack to the edge of the seat). They spend earlier sessions on things like where to look, what to do with the throttle and when to turn.
    I'm still slow and a bit crap but getting my knee down always cheers me up.
    If you are not sure you could get the new DVD by the CSS or the second book - the whole system is in there.

12. Godzilla

Godzilla

Thanks richtea, how many CSS days have you done?

Just nociced you are in Chorlton, not a million miles from me, do u ever get to the barn?
    Maybe have a chat about it sometime if u do?
    Cheers

13. having done both css(levels 1,2 &3, will be doing level 4 nxt year) and ron haslam i can say that i found css much better than haslam but haslam is still worth doing especially if your new to track riding....as for using your own bike thing....id rather learn on my own bike as its that bike that i ride and the guys that run and teach at css are all ex racers of some kind and i found their way of teaching much better.

14. SteveH

SteveH

I guess that makes you, single, living at home with Mum, or minted then mate ;) lol

I'm currently toying with the idea of one of the european trips with CSS. Have heard nothing but good things about them, and after all if they are good enough for Leon Camier and the such like then they are plenty good enough for meager SteveH :)

Cheers

Steve

15. redseven

redseven

Party pooper talking! Mike Hailwood was never a knee down merchant. Yet a race winner.Maybe bikes back then were not fast enough? On a track at high speed I think It's possibly a good idea? Slow steering yet stable bike?? As a lot of jap stuff is. I have seen peeps getting their knee down under 30 mph. Great pose value, hardly necessary. :?

16. minted i wish just have my priorities sorted and not to mention a g/f that is also a biker :D.........o n yes i live at home still :D

17. Afraid to say I have done all four levels, then about three extra level fours over about three years. I am a slow learner. Very slow! But basically that was where I learned to ride a bike for the first time. I aim to go twice next year and would also love to do a Spanish one but they are really, really pricey. When you do level four they just work with your personal set of problems so it helps me improve every time I go.

I have the latest DVD if you want to borrow it.

I don't really go to bike meet type things, I don't know what to say to anyone. I don't even know much about bikes - just like the feeling of razzing around on them. But always happy to go out for a ride if it ever stops pissing down.

18. henrymc

henrymc

no problem Godzilla which Insurance company do you use?
    I know that some insurance company's give a discount if you have done a IAM course or if you have done a Police road safe course, also some Insurance company's will give you a discount if you are a member of the BMF or a affiliated bikers club eg TOMCC (Triumph Owners Motor Cycle Club,) costs £17 quid a year to be a TORCC member for one year,

19. redseven

redseven

Cheapest discount with insurance companies is Alphadot. Ten or fifteen pound for 5 to 10 % discount. If you are a new rider go for the IAM or equivalent, for experience. For seasoned riders, I dont think It's worth it. A good book to read is Motorcycle Road Craft. Allbeit the Police Officer who wrote it died on the road severall years back. Best thing is read the road and the twat in the BMW /GTI in front of you. Forget about knee down, it's for posers and track merchants. Also,nothing wrong with living at home,wait till you get a mortgage.

20. Godzilla

Godzilla

I have passed my IAM and read that book. And no, getting any sort of extra training is not for posers and track merchants, its about improving your skills on the bike and therefore improving your chances of not having an accident.