675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Lest we forget

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by henrymc, Nov 8, 2009.

1. henrymc

henrymc

Just thought i would post this so everybody who is on here this morning remembers all the brave Men and Women who gave their lives for a better world for us all to live in, :salute:

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Nice words and of course to the ones who are still alive / serving as the current demands are overwhelming their ranks.

3. D41

D41

Are you referring to "Americans", Henry??? ;) :lol:

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Americans are not referred as ‘Brave Men and Women’ but as Heroes ;)

5. henrymc

henrymc

Come on D41 is nothing of limits to your wit?
    Two of my dads cousins fought in the American army during the WW2 both Irish born,
    One was with Pattons 8th Army in the Ardenns (battle of the bulge) Both survived but the one who served in the 8th Army had a lucky escape as he got a six inch scar on his neck from a German who got a bit close to him. Both lost mates. seems to me the young lads in the British and American armies these days are being asked to fight not for a better and free'er society but to further the ambitions of polititions and the greedy multi nationals who will give them well paid jobs on their bords of directors when they give up politics, Its not right to exploit service men and women this way, :(

6. D41

D41

Er....Nope!!

Seriously though, you posted on what is a very serious subject so if I was out-of-line then I owe you an apology
    - you're not getting one, mind you, but I owe you one & it's the thought that counts!

Disagree with you on your other points, Henry. The military has ALWAYS been a tool of the governments who run them, it is after all the very purpose of a military to act in this way. - Even during WWII, which we, as victors tend to view as a fight against Nazi tyranny & that alone - politics was still the underlying reason for British involvement - not so in the case of the United States, whom Germany declared war on, & not the other way round.
    As to current events in Afghanistan & Iraq; Well, the respective governments of both the US & Gt. Britain can claim all-day-long that they were looking for WMD, terrorists etc. - But Iraq has HUGE oil reserves....& in essence, war in general is simply armed robbery on a global scale - "They have it - We want it - Let's go get it!!"
    Afghanistan is different; this is where, in my opinion, the big showdown between Muslim radicals, terrorists - call them what you will - & "The Great Satan" (us) will take place. The war there is not going to end anytime soon, in fact I think it will continue long after US & British troops have left the region. The Middle East & well, countries whose name ends with a 'stan' have been volatile for centuries, much like the Balkan States & it always comes down to the three "R"s as mitigating factors - RACE, RELIGION, & gREED (Ok - that last one was a stretch!).
    Don't forget also, that Britain's reputation throughout the world has largely been built upon the exploitation of less developed countries - again, a case of HMG using the military to ensure a "better and freer society" - for Britons, & no-one else!!

But YES!! - the thread is dedicated to those who have fallen serving their country & they should NOT be forgotten - venerated, more like!

7. Rowly

Rowly

[​IMG]
    Simply, We honour them, all of them, always.

8. henrymc

henrymc

+ 1.
    Nice picture Rowly.

9. kingfixer

kingfixer

+1 my brother fought in the first gulf war just glad i got him back !!

10. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

I have no answer to the political mess.

I just read of the ongoing loss of life and I despair that Brown and his homies seem to be so out of touch with how ordinary people like me feel. Wife & I attended a Remembrance service at Sophie's school today, it was simple and moving, and they read the list of names of old boys killed in WW1 and WW2 - there must have been 200 or more - and this from a small school in Ellesmere, in rural north Shropshire. Even now, the school roll is only 600 or so, in 1939 it was a lot smaller.

We will remember them.

11. MAD675

MAD675

They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning, We will remember them... Lets show our respect to all the brave men and women that have lost their lives for our country, and to those still serving. Thank you everyone.

12. crj

crj

13. Edski675

We are doing the two minute silence at work, hope you are all doing it too.

14. henrymc

henrymc

Yes I did, although I am here all alone again, getting paid to sit and mess on the computer and read books all day how the other half live. sigh!

15. T9Steve

T9Steve

I agree with theme, but while we remember our brave men and women in the forces past and present lets also remember the group of b.....ds who ordered them over the top in 1914, 1939, 1950, 1982, 1991 & 02. Whenever their investments are threatened we have to put on boots and tin hats and take a trip abroad to sort it out for them. And theres every likelyhood we will get bombed by the yanks while were doing it.!!

16. You complain more if you didn't have electricity in your house or petrol for you car/bike.

17. D41

D41

1939 - Britain was honouring commitments made to other countries (not Czechoslovakia, though) when it justifiably declared war on Germany - unless of course you like the sound of jackboots marching through Trafalgar Square.

1982 - British Sovereign Territory was invaded by an aggressor & British subjects were held captive - was HMG supposed to ignore that???

18. henrymc

henrymc

I got to agree with you Darren the Argentineans did raise their flag first on part of undisputed British terratory and that was the island of South Georgia.
    As to hold the people of the Falklands captive I think that they were not captives just told that they had to sing a different National anthem,
    The cynical amongst us would say that the Govermint of the time had withdrawn the Royal Navy protection from the Islands so to let the Argentineans the chance to invade, because the Argentinean's had always clammed they belonged to them it was a good bet they would try. Maggie won the next election on the back of that war, so was it worth all the young men who died (from both sides) its not exactly the Bahamas,

19. Edski675

Bahamas or not - if you lived there how would you like to be invaded?

20. henrymc

henrymc

Sorry Ed that is funny you asking ME that :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :wave: :wave: