675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Let down Help!

Discussion in 'General' started by Ff6022, May 7, 2019.

1. Ff6022

Ff6022

For the first time in 10yrs of ownership the Daytona finally let me down.
    It was Mayday run yesterday and I spent the last few days preparing it.
    Hench clean
    Fixed indicators (temporary brought triumph LED’s)
    Also had a few idle issues. So I tried the ECU reset thing (running it for 12mins and allowing to cool right down x3)
    However went to start it yesterday morning ........ dead.
    Was short on time so I jumped it.
    Left it running, after 5mins idle revs increased a little and engine died.
    I think this is indicating RR is dead. I haven’t multi-metered it yet but is there any other suggestions?
    Also if it is RR issue, would it have given me these idle issues I have had? Idle issue being, when engine gets warm idle revs drop low to the point the engine would cut out at lights or junctions.

A little background why I think this.
    Bike is on a battery tender generally. Been off the tender the last week while prepping and last run the bike on Sunday (just gone).
    Battery is less than 2yrs old.
    Also I have noticed in late that the headlight would change in brightness (not a dramatic change but wen parked in front of a wall you could see the beam change in intensity).
    Also I have had a new stepper motor fitted in the last year as I thought that was the issue.
    The bike did have the RR recall done, twice I believe in its lifetime.

Any advice would be greatly received.

2. StephenP

StephenP

Dunno about the idle issue but the battery was clearly toasted by the reg/rec for it to die.

Had a similar idle issue from a faulty idle stepper motor but I'd say it's your reg/,rec that has gone.

You've now joined the elite group of having it fails so nothing to worry about

3. Legacey

Legacey Moderator Staff Member

Not uncommon for the RR to fail more than once unfortunately. May be worth checking the ex-up valve as well. Mine was stuck open and I had issues with idling during that time.

4. Ff6022

Ff6022

Thanks for the suggestion but I don’t have one anymore.
    Any suggestion where to get an RR as they are like £250 on world of triumph.

5. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Pop a wanted ad' on here, there have been a few listed over the last year or so.
    Fwiw that sounds like a battery to me. Not saying it's not the R&R, but may be worth checking the output of the current one first.?
    Also was the 2nd (current) replacement a MOSFET one.? -The original failed ones were replaced like for like with the old type, and we all know they seem to have a finite life.
    Lastly what type of battery tender do you use.?

6. Ff6022

Ff6022

It’s an optimate tender.
    I must admit I dunno what it was changed for. All I know was I had the recall on it soon after I got the bike 2009. Then about a yr later got another letter about it and was done again. But not sure what it was change from and too (I’m not that clued up on this area).
    I have a multimeter turning up tomorrow and bikes is on trickle charge, so I will test the voltage tomorrow.

7. Red675

Red675

Someone should do a "how to spot if your reg/rec is f*cked" thread and make it a sticky. Especially as its that time of year when bikes are coming out of hibernation.
    Good luck with yours, it drove me nuts when mine was "playing up".

8. Red675

Red675

...and kind of puts me off buying another one if truth be told, especially as i would be looking at the earlier models too.

9. Ff6022

Ff6022

Cheers pal.
    Yea I love my bike but this issue is a nightmare

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Astrav6

Astrav6

I've had several battery's cooked by the optimate's especially if they are rest as they go back to full charge current even when it's not needed. There is a bit on there site about the charge cycle and it's a long time before it goes into maintain mode and even then it still keeps the battery warm and drys them out

11. Ff6022

Ff6022

My multimeter is supposed to arrive today. So if I test the bolts on the battery and it’s good, then I start it and it jumps to 14.5v RR is good and Battery is fried, is that right?
    But if it doesn’t Jump up the RR is bigger, yea?

12. Ff6022

Ff6022

Volts, not bolts. The battery has been on trickle since Monday afternoon so should be up to full oomph.

13. Astrav6

Astrav6

Should be around 12.5 when not running or on charge and then up to 13.5 to 14.7 when running depending what you have switched on. May take it a min or so to jump up the voltage when you first start it

14. Ff6022

Ff6022

Cheers for your help everyone. Wen I find out what’s happening I let you know.

15. Ff6022

Ff6022

So got round to testing today. Battery run 12.5V little less with ignition on. On start up went to 11.95V and never climbed.
    So consensus is RR?

16. StMarks

StMarks PTG

[​IMG] That,
    ,, or the stator coils,
    ,,,, or a fault in the wiring/connectors between them.

17. Ff6022

Ff6022

Hmmmm. Any ideas on how to test this? The engine management light stays on now too. Does that help with diagnosis?

18. SW73

SW73

Test the output from the stator first. There's a how to on here and what voltages to expect.
    Then check the wiring between it and the rectifier, paying special attention to the connectors.
    Then check the output from the rectifier.
    Then if all is well, attach a new battery.
    Use only genuine triumph parts to repair.
    Triumphs warranty dept now know how to do it too.... having tried several half baked answers costing much more in the long run.