675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

lighter wheels?

Discussion in 'General' started by Richtea, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Richtea

Richtea

Does anyone know how much weight I would save with fancy aftermarket wheels? Can those carbon ones really be worth the price of a second track bike? And if they are worth it, where's the best place to get some?
    Thanks Rich

2. jim996

jim996

I've looked into this as well. I'm told the standard 675 wheels are already very light and you won't get much benefit unless you go for magnesium or carbon wheels. I club race my bike and I'm steering clear as the cost is just staggering and many of clubs won't allow carbon wheels anyway. Best mods you can make in my opinion are

1. Race shock and fork conversion.
    2. Full system and PC3

3. Richtea

Richtea

Thanks for that.
    I have the 09 bike and I believe the suspension is much improved over the 08 but Maxton have quoted me around £1K to sort both front and back and everything I hear about them is good. Richard there mentioned some alteration of height to improve turn in, can't remember exactly what.
    Also I have fitted the arrow end can and had the dealer re-map it. This made a big difference in mid range - certainly more than enough power for me.
    I was interested in the full system but at the time no-one had worked on the 09 bikes so they all seemed a little unsure apart what they were doing and how the new bike was different.
    Was there a number three?
    Cheers Rich

4. IIRC the latest bike are coming through with 1kg shed from the wheels.

5. jim996

jim996

Hi suspension depends what you plan to do with the bike and to be honest if its only the odd track day. Mine is a pure race bike so I have a Bitubo race shock and K-tech 25mm fork conversion. Luckily I bought it as a second hand race bike with all the bits already fitted because that gear alone would be about £2000 new. I've never used Maxton but K-tech are the daddies for race bikes and are generally higher rated than Maxton by the club racing scene. Worth giving them a call. If you've got a grand to spend then I would try to get a second hand Ohlins shock (about £450) and go for a K-tech 20mm fork kit, (about £450). That will give you best bang for your buck.

Full system probably only worth bothering with if you plan to track only or race the bike. Believe Arrow stage 1 was for road bikes and allowed you to retain the cooling fan. Stage 2 was for the 06-08 bikes and had bigger downpipes and collectors but you had to get rid of the fan and I beleive stage 3 is the race version for the 09 bikes.....but I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to correct me!

6. Richtea

Richtea

Thanks,
    I think the plan is do get a fair amount of days on track next year, try and get acceptably quick by doing some race schools and the following year find the softest race series and do a few rounds at tracks I know. I am thinking that just doing a couple of races at the lowest level would totally recalibrate my corner speed sensors.

7. SteveH

SteveH

I did a post on this sort of thing a while ago. It's all about reducing unsprung mass from the bike to sharpen it even more. Lightweight bolts (ala ProBolt) lightweight calipers, discs and carriers should all see some gains, especially if twinned up with some uber lightweight carbon wheels. As the others have said though without breaking the bank it's a tricky one.

I'm putting lightweight Renthal sprockets and a new posh DID or Tsubaki chain (to reduce drag) on my bike for next season as a start, then keeping everything crossed for some ££ for bday and christmas so I can get the unsprung weight kit from Probolt. Depending on how I get on next year I might try a race rear subframe on the bike to see how much lighter that is over the standard one. If it's light it stays ;)

For what I use the bike for I just can't justify the cost of carbon wheels so am creatively working around the bike trying to reduce UNSPRUNG weight elsewhere. Basically anything that moves, if you can make it lighter things will become more responsive. I'm starting with the cheaper end of things and doing a bit at a time to see the gains, and because I haven't got the cash atm courtesy of a 6 month old bundle of joy but I'll get there.

Cheers

Steve