675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Listening to music and riding

Discussion in 'General' started by Falkirk300zx, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Falkirk300zx

Falkirk300zx

Has anyone ever riden whilst listening to an mp3 player?

I was thinking about getting an ipod with in-ear phones as I have previously ridden with ear plugs, but would music be a huge distraction or would you just block out the music due to concentration?

Any opinions?

2. Stu

Stu

Depends what you are doing. If I'm out for a ride then I don't want the distraction. If I'm doing 200 miles down the M1 then for god's sake get those bangin' tunes on.

3. Rowly

Rowly

Yeah go for it!! ............ some Nickleback or Kings of Leon coming through those
    ear phones will get you winding that throttle back :cool:

4. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Not tried it yet but do have an iPod Nano. I tend to ride like a "Nutter" :twisted: so the less distractions the better :?

Stu has a good point there though - so when I head down to the Smoke to meet up with my mate I will probably stick the tunes on....................."Music to make your ears Bleed"

Therapy, Murder Dolls, Marolin Manson, Rage Against the Machine & Linkin Pak to chill too............ Seen E'm All :cool: :cool: :cool:

5. Ye i do all the time, doesn't distract, what you can do that i sometimes do, is hav it in only one ear, so u can still hear the engine etc through the other, but you pretty much do jusr block it out. For balls out riding though....... maybe that extra 10% of concentration would come in handy!

6. Falkirk300zx

Falkirk300zx

I am pressuming it is like riding with ear plugs and just takes a while to get adjust to the changes in tones etc etc!

The next question is a Cowon S9, ipod nano or ipod classic? Has anyone tried one of those armstraps under leathers?

Ali, do you keep the player in your inside pocket, do you struggle with movement of leathers with the cable coming through the neck?

7. I'm toying with the idea of ear plugs with built in speakers 'a la ultimate earplugs' monitor uep 75

http://www.ultimateear.com/motorcycle.htm

They're 155 squids!! which does seem somewhat expensive for silicone bungs, however putting standard earplugs in and then positioning speakers in your helmet on full blast also seems backwards.

Your right about the M1 slog though Stu, you need music to take your mind of the fear when filtering through the jams :)

8. Falkirk300zx

Falkirk300zx

Well, I've bought myself a Cowon S9 with Shure 530PTH earphones. I thought the push to hear option would be quite useful on the bike.

Next is a good soundtrack.....

9. i just plug my ear buds into my phone....works a treat

10. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

I've done it a couple of times, though after finding myself tugging accidentally on the wires causing discomfort and the fact I happily listen to the purr of the bike I tend not to anymore :)

11. Stu

Stu

+1

12. Falkirk300zx

Falkirk300zx

I can't believe it!

I get a small Shoei lid because they fit perfectly, unfortunately the perfect snug fit screws up the earphones!!! :x

When I put on the helmet the in-earphones pop out cause my big lugs bend down when I put it on. To cure this I used my cold weather balaclava, keeps my ears from bending, but the internal padding pushes the earphones too close to my ears and muffles the sound. After a bit of playing around I managed to get them 90% un-muffled most of the time. But taking the helmet off killed my ears!!

Are you lot using the standard ipod earphones??

13. Ye i use the standard new style ipod earphones.
    I normally wear a Buff under the helmet, keeps everything in place, and chill off neck
    cable goes under jacket and ipod is is jeans pocket (make sure zipped up! lol)
    but sometimes if u don't leave enough slack, it can tug when you turn your head, which is annoying.