675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Mallory Park

Discussion in 'General' started by Godzilla, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Godzilla

Godzilla

Just wondered if anyone has ridden Mallory Park track? If so what is it like?

Asking because I have booked a Rider Skills Day there, in April 2010. Never been on a track before so I'm excited, but a little nervous at the same time.

:)

2. T9Steve

T9Steve

I did my one and only trackday at Mallory in 2004, on a 2001 955iDaytona. It was good fun but with 35 other riders out on track not very fast. It took me a couple of sessions to stop thinking about what other riders where doing and just get on an enjoy the day and I did!.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I used to race and instruct there. Its a great little track. Plenty of time to correct your lines between corners and every corner can teach you a different skill. It doesn't flow as well as some but its still fun. Listen to what they tell you and don't try to run before you can walk and you'll have a great time.

4. paws

paws

done mallory and hated it, too small and crap surface imo

5. D41

D41

....Understandable - the prospect of riding on the track for the 1st time can be quite daunting, - as I so recently discovered!!

A few pointers (which I hope others will add to, or correct me on if I'm wrong)

1. Eat a good meal, loaded with carbs, the night before - you're gonna need your energy!
    2. Take plenty of water and/or energy drink such as Gatorade - hydrate frequently between sessions & throughout the day. If you eat, eat lightly - avoid turkey sarnies & other foods that are high in MSGs...they will only make you tired.
    3. Check everything TWICE on your bike beforehand & make sure that you take ALL your tools with you.
    4. Don't forget your keys (sounds silly but you'd be surprised how many forget).
    5. Ask someone familiar with the track what tyre pressures you should be running...on the street I run 34 front/38 rear - at the track it's 28 front/25 rear!!...it's a BIG difference & one you wanna get right...!
    6. Take your time...the wannabe Rossi's will more than likely be eatin' turf in the first few sessions...learn the track at YOUR own pace and then begin to ramp up the pace as you get more comfortable.
    7. IMPORTANT - If someone does go down in front of you (& they will!) - be VERY decisive in your actions, - don't look at them or fixate on them - pick an escape line & commit yourself to it totally.
    8. Enjoy yourself..sounds simplistic, but if you're not having fun then your mental approach is wrong!!
    9. Almost forgot!! - Forget the rear brake...you won't need it on the track - unless you run off, in which case you WILL need it!
    10. Do your last session at 70% - you're not gonna be setting any records on your 1st trackday, so don't be tempted to risk it all at the end of the day when you're tired!
    11. Put tape over the speedo - there's absolutely no need for you to be lookin' at the speedo on the last straight thinking "oh, - just a few more seconds & I'll be at 140mph!!" - 'cos a few seconds after that you'll end up going into Turn 1 about 20 mph faster than you know how to take it...usually doesn't end well!!
    12. Again - Enjoy yourself!! - That's why you're there!!

Hope that helps a little.

6. Godzilla

Godzilla

Thanks for that D41, some good tips in there that make obvious sense when read but may not have popped into my mind.

The reason I went for this track time first is that it isnt an open track day. It is a rider skills day. The participants will be split into 3 groups, experienced intermediate and noobs like me :). Each of these groups will be divided into groups of 4 with an instructor assigned to each group for the day. Then each hour is split into 3 20min sessions.

My tool kit comprises of an allen key and a mobile phone :/ - oh yes i do have a little tyre pressure gauge, will pack that.

Will tape up the speedo, been told to do the mirrors as well.

Wont be able to forget my keys, bike wont start to get me to the track without them ;)

Thanks again

7. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

Are you a member of the Institute of Advanced Mortorcyclists godzilla? cos this is what they call their what are essentially 'track days' lol

8. Godzilla

Godzilla

Yes I am Justin, 10 out of 10 for observation :)

9. D41

D41

Oh, -didn't realise you were riding to the track - defo tape over your mirrors, better yet - take 'em off completely if it's practical.

Oh, & don't fall off - pushing a bike home is no fun !! LOL

10. I did Mallory this year & loved it, but I'm used to the poorly maintained minor roads in Cornwall, so it was like being at home with out the fear of the local plod nicking me! If you are going to fall off any where it will be at Edwina's. I had a guy on a RSV thou fall of in front of me & a mate of mine did it as well, but as it is a slowish chicane, both went back out on the track, with nothing more than minor scuffs to lower fairing panels. It sound advise to not get fixated by some one elses crash, when the RSV went down in front of me, I just kept my line & carried on. You'll love it & will be waiting to do another as soon as you get home. I can't want for spring to start planning the next one!
    Taking the mirrors of is easy, just make sure that you have the right size allen key with you & be careful not to loose the washers when you take them off & of course be sure to tighten them up enough when you put them back on.

11. Mallory gets lots of criticism because it isn't very flowing but it has some big advantages for your first trackday.
    It is the easiest track to learn out of the 6 or 7, I have ridden. And as you mentioned knee down on a previous thread it has Gerrards - possibly the best corner I have ever ridden and a brilliant opportunity to get your knee down by gradually taking it quicker through the day.
    Cheers Rich

12. Mallory is an ideal track really, really quick to learn so you can concentrate on your riding. Try to ignore everyone else and just concentrate on your own ride.