675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Modified to Fit the Owner

Discussion in 'General' started by midgeman, Jan 15, 2009.

1. midgeman

midgeman

Hi there fellow 675 owners.

I have owned my Black 675 since September 2007 and I have to say that it is a brilliant piece of kit :D (NOW).

You see for the first month of ownership I was not a happy bunny at all :( as I found it too focused for my liking as although I was not new to sports bikes having previously owned ZX6, CBR 600RR and prior to the 675 an R1 I just did not feel comfortable with the bike so much so that I considered asking the dealer to let me have my R1 back even if it meant loosing a large amount of money :( but by the time I had decided to do just that he had sold it.

The main problems that I had were (A) the rear of the bike was to tall resulting in the riding position being such that I felt that I was being pushed forward onto the low bars resulting in painful wrists after only twenty or so miles :evil: (B) due to the tall seat height I did not feel in control when stationery as I was on the balls of my feet (I am not vertically challenged at 5' 8") and (C) the standard colour of the rims (how could the people who designed such a good looking machine come up with such a shite colour for the rims) :? .

Solution:
    Raise the bars, Lower the rear of the bike and get the rims polished and painted and the the jobs a good un.

So how: :?:
    Well the standard bars were replaced with Gilles Variobars which are fully adjustable and look the part the only thing that had to be changed was the Master Cylinder Reservoir mounting which is a simple fabrication from a strip of Aluminium which is then secured on one of the existing tapped holes on the underside of the Top Yoke.

The rear of the bike has been lowered by fitting a Drag Link (AKA Dog Bone) from the 1999/2002 model R1 which is longer than the Triumph OE part which when fitted raises the rear wheel resulting in a reduction in ride height of approx 1.5 inches. The purists would argue that by lowering a D675 you will ruin the handling well OK if you put Rossie on it he would say that it does not tip into the corners quick enough but I doubt that the average rider would notice I certainly have not found any difference.

The Rims have been professionally polished and the centres sprayed Gloss Black.

I have to say that after carrying out these alterations there has not been any noticable reduction in terms of handling or performance and I now feel relaxed and comfortable on what is a fantastic machine.

The only negative point to lowering is that the D675 sits a little bit to upright on its side stand so I purchased a 2nd stand off Ebay (lots of them available as most race bikes take them off) and I had it shortened at the foot end by 1" which sorted the problem. I spent about 2 hours polishing it when I got it back which I think compliments the rest of the polished bits on the bike I also got rid of the standard mounting bolts which I thought looked like Triumph had bought a job lot from a Farm Gate Manufacturer (See Pic later)

Apart from the Polished Rims all other modifications can be reversed in about 2 hours.

Any other owners had similar problems ??????.

Midgeman.

Attached Files:

2. I like what you have done, the wheels look great. My couple of points are...

I have the same aching wrists (and base of thumb) on my right hand after about 5 miles. I've started doing wrist exercises (I'll let you all insert your own jokes here) to try to overcome this.

I keep reading that the bike is tall but I'm also 5'8" and my feet are almost flat on the ground when I sit up at the lights.

My car is off the road due to a puncture (no spare wheel due to crappy run-flat tyres that then weren't in stock), so I used the 675 yesterday for all my meetings, which resulted in a lot of motorway miles (the first since I got the bike). Doing this, I noticed that the bike feels very light at the front when accelerating hard, at one point, I thought the front end was coming up.

3. Stu

Stu

I'm glad you have got your bike to suit YOU. Can you post a pic of the bars please.

4. midgeman

midgeman

Sounds like the exercises on the right hand are working already resulting in lashings of fuel being delivered to the injection system :lol: On a serious note I found that before lowering the rear the front felt very light compared with other bikes I have owned even the manic 600RR felt more planted under heavy acceleration.

5. midgeman

midgeman

I will try and get some pics on the site over the weekend if I get the chance. ;)

6. andysjt

andysjt

the story you tell is the same as my exsperiance of first rideing a 675 coming form a 955i the rideing position of the 675 was a nightmare & a killer of the wrists & neck , it was i too thought of taking it back to the dealer within a week ,but then gave it some time & then thought about modifications to the ride position ECT also thought the front damping was very hard .
    however having just bought a new bike i found myself without the money for heli bars & drop links ect plus my gaffer ( the wife ) had an eagle eye on my spending i did non of the alterations planned

8 months on & the bike feels fine i guess you get used to the rideing position after a bit , i did a 10 hour ride in the late summer only stoping for fuel & a bite to eat with my mate on his R6 & my 675 didnt feel that bad no worse than the 955i even after 10 hours of fun
    what im trying to say is if it feel odd at first just give it a bit of time ,just dont try & fit a tail pack if you have short leggs like me cos you will have to pole valt onto the bike .
    Going on a 3 day tour around france in may with my buddies one on an R6 & one on a ktm 990 so we will see how we get on

7. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Well Best I fess up................

I had an Aprillia Mojito scooter for 12 months before coming home with the 675.............. :oops:

3 years ago went to Claycross MC Shop was going to bye a 600 Bandit on way back to Rochdale over Matlock Backwell Buxton road witnessed a rider wipe out 100% in front of me and the wife in a Honda Prelude. 6 foot in front of car then his "mate" rode over him at 80 mile an hour smashing his collar bone and a few ribs ta boot. :shock:

Needless to say "her indoors was put off" me gong back to my first love of 2 wheels.

Having come home from the first service for the Aprilia on a 675 she realised I was keeping the 675 ....... :geek:

It is the best 2 wheeled machine I have ever riden and I've had a few, 125 Stinger 380 GT, 650 Z1 , CBR1000 first out ZXR 750 L2, Zxr 1100, Grxr 750. the list goes on.

To get to this conclusion I rode the CBR 600 RR 5, R6, 600 Kwak and the 675 back to back over 3 days........ mamoth task in its self but to hit the nail on the head, once you are phisically and mentlly dialed into the 675 no one nore nothing can stop you riding them into the ground, 10 miles or a 1000 miles the 675 in my humble opinion is a work of pure genius. :cool:

So do too it as you like, but at the end of the day it will still be a 675 Daytona Poetry in Motion....... I F****g Love it................. now were can I get some one to fund my Carbon Wheels.............. :? :? :?

8. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

lol, oh dear - I suppose most of us has had embarrassing moments like that; what made you get the scooter? :lol: I think seeing an accident like that would be put people off enough getting onto two wheels, and I could imagine your wife worries even more! Still I live by the theory anything can happen anywhere any time; if it's your time then it's your time but touch wood it wont be. :p

9. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

:oops: Bought the Scoot to get in and out of Manchester City centre were I used to work, It was gret for that all through all the Football matchs and all that stuff. But was just too slow on the slip road 65 mile an hour on 15" diamite wheels is no fun :x

Mid I loved the fact it di 70 to the Gallon, and cost %5.85 to fill :D

Never again thow. :oops:

10. midgeman

midgeman

Hi Stu

I am now able to post pics of the Gilles Variobars fitted to my D675.

Midgeman.

Attached Files:

11. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Did you fit the bars yourself Midgman? And how much difference do they make to the ride and handeling :?:

12. midgeman

midgeman

Shortened & Polished Side Stand.

Midgeman.

Attached Files:

13. midgeman

midgeman

Hi Jap.

Yes I did fit the variobars myself and as far as ride is concerned I find them 100% better as far as comfort is concerned. I have not noticed any change whatsoever in tems of handling.

I have edited my original Post Modified to Fit the Owner.

Midgeman.

14. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Was it a big job and did ou need any special tools? O and were di you get the bars from?

15. midgeman

midgeman

You can order them through any decent Bike Dealer most Yamaha Dealers stock Gilles Products so they should have the catalogue. They will have to order them from the Uk Importer as they are bike specific (make sure they order the colour you want) BLACK/SILVER OR GOLD.

They took about 2 hours to fit and you will need a socket wrench, hexagon sockets, a torque wrench and the correct size socket to remove the nut that holds the Top Yoke in place. Jap I see that you have already fitted a Gold Top Yoke Nut so presumably you already have that socket.

As I mentioned in my original Post I had to fabricate a small bracket to fit the Master Cylinder Resevoir this was because my bars were originaly fitted to the R1 that I had before the D675. However if you look on the internet at http://www.gillestooling.com you will see that the kit for the D675 comes with the bracket to re site the Resevoir.

* It is best to remove the screen when doing this job as it aids access to all the fixings.

Hope this helps.

Midgeman.

16. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Spot on Midgeman, as for my Gold Top Yke Nut it was on the bike when I bought it. Sounds like a good project job so may well look into it after the trip.

Thanks for the notes and would love to see your bike to look and see whatthe difference is........ ;)