675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

MOT'S!!

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by SV_Justin, Dec 16, 2009.

1. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

Ok folks, does anyone know if theres any restrictions on noise for the MOT?

It was my SV's 2nd birthday yesterday. Awwww.... And after the trip to the hinckley factory and drooling over the new triumphs it had me thinking about my bike. When it comes to 3 years next december, i'm going to need a MOT of course, bear with me.

Last spring after having the bike about 2 months, i bought a (what was at the time) road legal Micron slip on. The baffle was off before it even came out the box, but then we got a bit anglegrinder happy and chopped it in half, took the wire wool out and put a bigger end cap from a similar akro exhaust. As a result it bellows out a nice throaty 99db at 5000rpm.

Is there a restriction on noise for the MOT's. But also do we think the bike would fail on exhaust emissions?

2. Whats am MOT?

Buy an old standard can from somewhere and swap them over for the MOT, problem solved :)

3. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

I think i've still got the standard can somewhere in the barn, i'll have a look

4. kingfixer

kingfixer

5. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

erm did I say barn? .....i meant shed, no garage

I dont live on a farm, really! :?

6. Davetona

Davetona Moderator Staff Member

My MOT'er was happy to pass "not for road use" full Ackropovic exhaust on the Bandit. I enquired before taking the bike in. He just asked if i had the original to which i replied yes! I did actually have it, but he didn't know for sure. That bike passed 4 MOT's in the time i had it, so it's worth asking around

7. Deegee

Deegee Moderator Staff Member

Seems to vary mot station to mot station. Bit of a lottery if you don't know anything about who's testing it.

My Local Triumph dealer - Lings Ipswich, won't pass anything except unmodified std. But the place I use is cool as long as "not for road use" is not visible anywhere.
    Oh,- and as long as you don't turn up revving the tits off it like a frustrated speedway rider. :lol:

As far as I am aware there isn't a specific checked noise level, - that's done pre-production. Just a check to see that there's no leaks or similar signs of deterioration from original manufacture.

Any leniency is at the disgression of the tester, my brother had a Duc that could break windows, and that passed ok because it had std can casings. Heavily doctored internally, but still std casings, and stamped with all the numbers etc for Plod.

Good luck with it. DG