675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

my trip to france

Discussion in 'General' started by andysjt, May 25, 2009.

1. andysjt

andysjt

Hi & greetings to you all ,
    Just thought id share my trip to France with you ,
    Thursday 21 may kicked off about 4pm ish & headed to Folkestone , traffic was horrendous, had to filter down m6 & m25 most of the way, ( was bank holiday to be fair ) got to Folkestone about 7.45, stopped for the night at holiday inn, which i can recommend fully, nice new motel with good breakfast lots of fellow bikers there all sorts mostly b.m.w. tour’s but a good bunch .
    Here’s my bike parked for the night at Folkestone

Next morning i was off at 7.30am for an early run to the tunnel along with some of the b.m.w gang , tunnel is about 5 mins form holiday inn so easy peasy , got on 8am train even though i had booked on at 10 .30 its no problem to swap & change to an earlier train once you get there, provided they have room ,

Here’s a pic of some of the bikes on the train

The Train takes about 20 mins & then you are let lose in France . So first stop from Calais is a 2 hour run to thiepval memorial nr Albert in the Somme region , for those who are interested the thiepval memorial is a massive monument containing some 73,000 names of British & empire troupes killed in the battle of the Somme , but this is not the total dead ( that runs to hundreds of thousands ) no this is just the ones that were missing after the battle & have no known grave , this sort of puts the scale of the immense sacrifice & waist of life the Somme was for all participants .
    This region of France is particularly beautiful, and looking around on a sunny day its hard to imagine the events that took place here some 90 odd years ago . This memorial is well worth a visit & is a very powerful & moving place , I for one am glad i visited .

Here is a pic of bike parked on the front line position of the British line on the eve of the battle

Then on to la Havre for lunch , the weather was fantastic , and the A road are empty & very fast
    Then on to Caen , got there about 6.30pm and had enough for one day ,so stopped in a motel , bit expensive but it was bank holiday & nothing much was open .
    Food was good ,and i met six bikers from Holland going to Spain ( i think ?? ) language was a bit of a barrier but we exchanged the basics & i had breakfast with them next morning .

So off at 7.00 am next morning to arromanches & saint come ( d day landing beaches )
    Bit of a mistake as the French are not early risers on Saturdays & the small towns & villages were dead , and i had done about 120 miles since last fill up , eventually got lost and by a stroke of luck found a Carrefour supermarket with petrol garage just what i needed ( and it was open )

Then from saint come to benouville ( pagasus bridge )
    This is a fascinating place & the site of a daring raid to capture a vital bridge, by a small group of British airborne troops prior to the main invasion , thus preventing German reinforcements from reaching the invasion beach’s . They were totally on their own and had no idea of the enemy resistance they would meet , the plan consisted of crash landing gliders in the field next to the bridge then quickly running onto the bride & capturing it . The plan was a success & this action saved many lives on the beaches
    I read the book about this raid on holliday last year & this was the basic idea for the trip

After the trip to the bridge i just had the palace of versalis to go , but that was a full day visit so i decided to leave that for another trip and headed back to Calais , to either stop the night or get an early train
    The early train was no problem & i shared the journey back with another b.m.w tourer & a nice couple from Kent on a road king both had been away for more than a week , the bmw guy had toured Holland, the black forest & northern Germany and the road king couple had toured the whole of France
    Made my little trip seem like small beer, but i still enjoyed it .
    When i got to Folkestone i decided to head for home even though i had already done over 280m that day , so i shot up the m20 towards London , missed the m25 turn( as my sat nav had packed up )
    So ended up going via Sidcup past the 02 through the black wall tunnel ? m11 – m25 –m1 –m6
    A long detour but got home about 9 ish after a 500 + mile ride stopping only for fuel & a quick snack from caen - Stafford via central London what a ride
    In all i did some 1400 miles between thus night & sat night , i was pleased with the trip & the bike never missed a beat

Good points
    bike fantastic on the trip
    weather superb
    euro tunnel fast & cheep considering the alternative
    French A roads largely empty & very fast
    In the whole trip only saw 2 speed cameras & no cops at all ( French speed cameras are not like ours ,its just warning sign ,then camera , job done )
    Most French drivers are considerate to bikers
    Other bikers of all nationality’s and types are friendly

Bad points
    toll charges are a pain and are too frequent , you seem to be stopping every 20 mins to get ticket or pay toll , ( some are automated & only except visa if it won’t read your card or ticket you are stuck with cars piping behind you . happened to me twice .
    French D roads are country lanes with little or no markings & often in poor condition , hard to spot the give way markers .
    Don’t try and use a car satnav like i did you can only hear it not see it & you don’t know if its still on or not ( as i found out to my cost a few times ) i am going to get a proper satnav and gel seat for the bike as soon as funds are available

other pics
    outside hotel in caen
    arromanches
    saint come
    the cafe at benouville
    the bridge
    horsa glider
    flys on bike

Attached Files:

2. andysjt

andysjt

Attached Files:

3. andysjt

andysjt

Attached Files:

4. andysjt

andysjt

Attached Files:

5. andysjt

andysjt

Attached Files:

6. andysjt

andysjt

Attached Files:

7. andysjt

andysjt

8. andysjt

andysjt

Attached Files:

9. andysjt

andysjt

Attached Files:

10. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

Glad you had a great time Andy! Looks a really good trip.

Nice pics too - thanks for sharing :D

11. great stuff Andy.
    I really must get myself organised this summer and get abroas. Thinking of a RAT trip to belgium, 16th-21st July, staying at the motorcycle barn.

12. Andy,

Thanks for this, this will be realy helpful for my trip in July.

13. andysjt

andysjt

godzilla ,
    sounds great , i am planning a trip though france to the black forest ,for later on this year , there are some fantastic bikeing roads there , also arden regon of belgium is suposed to be ace , ill post the planned route later on when its a go'er for sure

one way ,
    thanks for that , please let me know about your trip , its great to have some feed back & some ideas for further trips
    should start a recomended place to stay or things to see list ( one for craig i think )
    cheers
    andy

14. RICH675

RICH675

SO THEN. ANYONE FANCY A EUROPEAN RIDE OUT ???

15. Gel Seats on tour - Absolute must son! :lol:

16. Stu675

Stu675

Good to meet you on the Fest Andy :)

17. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

Holy thread resurrection!!!! Nearly 5 years to the day!!!