675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

New Lid Advice

Discussion in 'General' started by DaytonaSparky, Aug 2, 2009.

1. DaytonaSparky

DaytonaSparky

Hi All,

I am just in the process of trying to decide on a new lid to buy, and just wondered if there was any advice that anyone had on the best options.

What I am looking for first and foremost is a quiet lid that doesn't let the wind noise in.

I was looking at the Arai Chaser, so just wondered if anyone had any experience of this helmet?

If anyone has any views on AGV's as well I would be interested to hear.

Cheers all.

Mark

2. if you want quiet, dont get the shark rsi :D

3. Quietest on the market re apparently Caberg but I have never owned one. I have and arai Condor and it is not the quietest nor is my previous lid AGV V-Flyer.

4. SteveH

SteveH

1. Get one that fits right.

2. Spend as much as you can afford (£10 helmet = £10 head right). Also cheaper or cheaply produced helmets tend to be bigger and heavier which will increase fatigue on longer rides.

3. Ignore brand names (to a certain extent).

4. Try as many helmets as you can back to back to compare fit.

For example I can't even get my head in an AGV lid, to narrow. Shoei's seemed to put a little pressure on my forehead. Arai's worked for me. Constant pressure all over my head etc. I have a Viper GT and find the venting superb, really can't fault it.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Steve

5. As SteveH said

But i must be lucky I can fit Arai AGV and Shoei.

And have one of each.

IMHO:
    Arai - awkward visor system, and creates wind noisy
    AGV Quite like this one. (till i trashed it)
    Shoei best of the 3 for me quietest and gives me most freedon of mevement, due to the high cut.

But best advice i could give is:
    Get one that fits
    then
    Pay as much as you can afford, your head is worth that

6. D41

D41

I must have the same shape head as SteveH because I have the same issues with each of the brands he mentioned. I currently have an Arai which is fairly quiet, a Suomy which is quite loud but very light & an OGK which I find to be very quiet

7. DaytonaSparky

DaytonaSparky

Cheers guys.....after taking your advise I have just got an Arai Viper GT for £290.

Decent reduction due to old colour scheme I think....

I went to Hein Gericke yesterday and tried several makes and models on.....all seemed to fit OK, but the Shoei was the worst for me.....didn't quite fit nicely all the way around......The lady in the shop said I must have a generic head....(I think she was flirting!)....as I didn't really have a problem with the others.

I have got a AGV GP Pro at the moment, so fancied a change as this has got very noisy inside with age.....so we shall see how the Arai fares.....I guess different helmets will be quiter/louder for different people depending on how well they fit!

Any how....thankd for all the advice...I will let you know how I get on.

8. Nice :cool:

I have an Arai head - have the Guardian Chaser.

Does it have pin lock insert fitted ???

Arai's are a nice lid, but mist up in any condition.

So if not - I'd recommend getting a Pin Lock insert fitted.

9. SteveH

SteveH

I second that. Pinlocks are a must! Sorry forgot to mention that. I got a regular pin lock with my Viper GT which I duly fitted. However I changed my visor for a tinted one (only place to go www.racevisors.co.uk) and on this I have the 'sports' pinlock fitted. It has a higher top edge than the standard one for when your head down ar5e up and looking out the top of the visor ;)

Which colours did you go for mate??? Mine's the italian flag model. I didn't think I'd see many in this colour and I was right to :) only seen 1 since I bought mine over a year ago.

Steve

10. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

I have only ever had Shoeis. Current is a XR-1000. Very quiet, but strange that Steve has referred to pressure on forehead as it does press slightly. Can't say I notice it day to day, only when I think about it. Bought it at the NEC bike show 2 years ago.

11. andysjt

andysjt

agreed xr1000 is a good lid i have had two ,i also like roof they are a good helmet but not realy a winter one t/b/h

12. D41

D41

Er.........What's a 'pin-lock' ...?

13. DaytonaSparky

DaytonaSparky

I am not sure if it comes with the insert as standard.....but that is definitely something I will be investing in.

The colour is called Spiral Red......(pic below)

awww.sportsbikeshop.co.uk_product_images_viper_gt_spiral_red.jpg

Managed to find it cheaper than I could get a Chaser for...so went for it.....

I will just have to wait and see if it is as good as I hope!

14. Like a double glazed visor, if you look at the pick above you can see a white blob in the visor when the second layer of plastic fits too

15. SteveH

SteveH

Hi,

Not wanting to scare you mate but, that pressure point you feel is going to be the first point of contact that your skull gets smacked in should you (god forbid) have an accident. Obviously they can't produce a lid for every head as that would be totally inconceivable, but you should feel an even pressure round your head when wearing your lid. It's really quite important. All to do with spreading the load of impact evenly should your head hit something.

Of course there is a totally different train of thought these days to, in that helmets are so good, the impact is the least of your worries when your head hits the floor. The biggest thing you need to worry about, is the fact that the helmet grips the tarmac as it hit's it, spinning the lid on your bonce and essentially trying to spin your head off your shoulders, causing lots of spinal damage in the process. This obviously would be increase if you have a larger or heavier helmet due to the unsprung mass of the lid, which comes back to my point I made earlier about cheap lids being heavy and big.

Sorry if it seems like I'm ranting but I did LOADS of reading on this a while ago and read a lot of research so I'm probably going on a bit hahaha.

On a lighter not DaytonaSparky, really like that design. Don't see many in those colours.

Cheers

Steve

16. Most of what you said I think is very good, but I have to strongly disagree with the first bit sorry.

17. spike

spike

shoei and agv for me but my last two lids have been agv's
    present one is an agv stealth dragon
    a bit noisy but very comfortable and nice and light

18. DaytonaSparky

DaytonaSparky

I do like my AGV...it's just that I seem to have more room inside than when it was new! Hopefully my head hasn't shrunk....but ultimately I want to avoid the situation where I have an off and my head rattle arouns inside the helmet before my head "spins off" as Steve so accurately suggests!

Will let you know how I get on when it arrives....but the website still says "waiting for shipping".........grrrrr

19. SteveH

SteveH

My Arai has removable padding from the inside that can be washed then put back in once it's dry. Infact IIRC in the instructions it tells you to do this periodically as the cushioning is like memory foam so it puts it back to where it should be. Does your current lid not do this mate??

What do you disagree with Godzilla?? It's probably the way I worded that but basically if you have a pressure point that is going to take the bulk of the impact force as opposed to having even pressure all round your head to 'spread the load' so to speak :S

Cheers

Steve

20. DaytonaSparky

DaytonaSparky

From my point of view I would be happier with a helmet that had even contact all over. My thinking is that if there is a space inside the helmet, if something was to hit the helmet from the outside, the inside would be accelerated towards yourhead before it makes contact.....no space means the force should be distributed more evenly....

Likewise for having 1 point that touched more than the others....I assume that this would then take the initial blow should anything hit your helmet.....most of the time (for me) I find that the pressure point is on the forehead with a helmet that doesn't fit....so I would like to avoid that impact working it's way through to my frontal lobe!

Whether this thinking is correct or not....I have no idea....but it works for me!

My AGV does have removable pads....so I may try to wash them to "reset" them....it would then do as a decent spare helmet.