675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Next Mod - HIDS

Discussion in 'General' started by andykb, Sep 29, 2009.

1. andykb

andykb

Well its coming to that time of year when the bike spends a little more time in the garage and its the mod-season.

So being a complete anorak ive started researching upgrading the stock light to HID's. But i have a worry about their legality.

Ive been looking at various sites and they will willingly sell them but according to the DVLA they are ilegal and will be a MOT failure.

Has anyone who has these fitted ever had issues at getting pulled or had an MOT failure?

Personally i think they are probably one of the better mods you could shell out on as far as a safety feature.

This is me taking the moral high gorund as i dont have a dark visor or smaller plate officer ;) ;)

but then again i could just say fook it and put them on

Andy

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I had a HID kit fitted to a car, not a bike yet, Loads of people will say the run hotter than a standard buld and damage your lamp but I never had this problem. Also the legality is that a HID or xenon lamp should be projector lamp not open beam cut lamp. The Beam pattern of a projector lamp in a car headlight was not affected by the hid it gave exactly the same light pattern which a normal lamp won't. As far a MOT is concerned Most mot's are issued if the lamp is working and not excessively high. The only issue you will have is mounting the ballast for the lamp. I would definately buy a kit designed specifically for a bike. Also don't be fooled into bying a main beam HID upgrade as flashing your headlamp will not give the bulb enough time to strike up. HID kits warm up before full brightness. Also if your going to run HID you will may want to change your sidelight bulbs to LEDs to match the colour. As for colour of the lamp all factory fit xenon cars run the 4300k colour lamp. the 6k is blue as seen in most xenon colour halogen bulbs.

I hope this helps.

3. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

No they aren't legal - they're legal only if the bike was designed for them - ie you have the whole shebang.

I have a set (4300s) which I haven't fitted yet, they're on the 'to do' list. And then I found some uprated H4 bulbs that I had forgotten I bought (for my old D650) in pandora's box in my garage so lazy me has installed one on the nearside light - why don't you try an upgraded bulb first, it's much better than the crap stock stuff. However I did look in Halfrauds and I couldn't see an upgrade H9 for the offside.

Edit - well I farked up this,. I meant an H7....soz!!!!!

I think the HIDs will go on though. I bought them after I had to crawl home on the old A5 after a jaunt over to Derbyshire last January. It was freezing, my hands were ice cold despite proper gloves, and I was so stiff that I could hardly move, but the biggest problem was I couldn't see worth a damn.

4. andykb

andykb

I understand why they are not legal i was just polling to see if anyone has had any issues with plod and the same problems arise when you fit them to a bike with the beam dis-placement.

I know what you mean about the warm up as i have factory fitted on my pathfinder this is another reason why i want them as they are so much better than the halogen, i can honestly say i wont buy another car without factory xenons

this is the main reason i want them on the bike better night time vision and in theory spotted better by other road users

5. Edski675

Oh I don't think you'll have any probs in being spotted by other road users :lol:

6. andykb

andykb

thats the idea

but if it gets me stopped by plod its darkvisor and small plate discussion as well

7. spike

spike

you can always say you where wearing a dark visor because your lights are so bright andy lol :)

8. andykb

andykb

LOL

somehow i dont think that will work

9. andykb

andykb

ok i went to halfrauds at lunch and picked up some running lights and im kinda pleased with how they look. They will be excellently complimented once i get the HIDS

stock
    ai634.photobucket.com_albums_uu63_andykb999_DSC_0039.jpg
    3 stock and led running
    ai634.photobucket.com_albums_uu63_andykb999_DSC_0040.jpg
    2 led running and stock dipped
    ai634.photobucket.com_albums_uu63_andykb999_DSC_0043.jpg

10. Edski675

I like those. What's the name of em?

11. andykb

andykb

they were the prism 4 led pure white £9.99 liitle pricey i think they do a cheaper one at £6.99 but it took me so long to find a retard in the shop to help i took the first pair of 5w5 R501's i could find.

dead easy to fit 2 screws and pull out the rubberbung/connector and replace the bulb, make sure you give the rubber bung a real good push when you put it back in

12. andykb

andykb