675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

number plates

Discussion in 'General' started by spike, May 10, 2009.

1. spike

spike

for info.............
    for those that like to change there number plates apparently they have tightend up the law now :eek:
    theres an article in junes issue of bike magazine and it is illegal for companies to make plates that dont conform to BS AU 145d legal standard and have now closed the loop hole on 'show plates'
    apparently police can now seize equipement of companies not conforming to the legal standard and will be liable to a £2500 fine :eek: :eek: :eek: this applies to only companies based in the uk though.

so here is the standard as quoted in bert simmonds article.......
    bikes registered since september 2001 must have a number plate with letters 64mm high and (with the exception of '1'and 'l')44mm wide.
    the space between characters is 10mm. the space between groups of characters is 30mm. top, bottom and side margins must be a minimum of 11mm wide.
    they have to use the approved type face.
    current standard motorcycle plates are 228mm wide by 178mm high (around 9in x 7in)
    the latest guidelines from the association of chief police officers state that the plate should be readable from 20 metres.
    now heres the the sinister implication :evil:
    behind the new legislation is the move towards the automated plate reading :eek: :eek: :eek:
    you can also bet that instead of a 30 pound fine for an non standard plate they will be coming down hard on us :( :( :( :( :(
    this country is seriously starting to f**k me off :evil: :evil:

2. andysjt

andysjt

as i understand it , its still only a £30 quid fine for small plates at the moment ?? or have they actually changed the law yet ? coz i for one cannot afford any more point , i also agree with you that this country is taking the piss , having said that I have just been having a look at French road signs, speed limits & laws for my impending trip in two weeks & to be honest its even stricter there

, I said this before on here but I wish we could go back in time to the 80s before speed cameras ,when provided you were driving at a reasonable speed & not taking the piss big time, the cops would level you alone ,& no one was interested in load pipes & small plates so long as it wasn’t ridicules .
    But alas there in no money in this so its not going to happen , I wish they would just put up road tax & have done with it .

3. I'm going to France on the bike in July (with Pillion). What insanity do I have to be aware of for over there?

4. andysjt

andysjt

just a few points i didnt know the speed limits are roughly the same as here ,but you ant got much to play with + 15kph & you could get a fine you must stop at a stop sign as in stop rolling or another fine ( if spotted ) im sure you wont but dont drink & ride as there limit is lower than ours & the penty is tough

they also have a trafic from the right has priority rule ,even a side road joining the main road has priority if there is no white markings not so common now but still law & is mostly used on rural road

googled tip for riding in france got some good advise back a comon point is the lack of petrol stations in some parts of france & the fact that some shut for sun / mon

where are you planning to go ?

5. Going round Normandy. All my mates that ride, live no where near me (East Mids and Kent) so this is a chance for us all to meet up and have the bikes. In fact I think that this is the first time ever that we will have all been together and had our bikes, so really looking forward to it. My mate is organising it, I just have to ride to Dover with the cash to pay him back!

6. andysjt

andysjt

im going from Calais- to -Albert ( Somme area ) -to- bayeur-to -reoun -to- amies -to- chepell-to-caliss again

booked on euro star on the 22may first light stopping at bayeur then at amies come back on 24th
    looking forward to it

excuse spelling cant spell in English let alone French

7. I'm going at the end of July, so would welcome a heads up on any good roads you find.

8. andysjt

andysjt

9. Rowly

Rowly

Any fines you get for daring to break the laws of this country should be offset
    with a expense claim on your tax return, if Gordon Brown & all his thieving
    cronies can get away with stealing from us the tax payer then why can't we.

Its a case of do as we say but not as we do I'm fcuk and pis..ed off too :x

10. andysjt

andysjt

if you get done for speeding in europe do you get points on yr uk licence ?

11. Ahh but the French just ignore laws when they don't suit them! ;)

12. andysjt

andysjt

well when in rome ? ?