675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Nurburgring Report

Discussion in 'General' started by StuRowcliffe, Sep 3, 2008.

1. StuRowcliffe

StuRowcliffe

Well im back, and i survived, here is my tale of events for a great weekend!

We left Southampton at 6.30am on Saturday, heading for a 9am checkin at Dover to Dunkirk ferry, got there bang on 9am with a fuel stop being necessary on the way! :roll: The weather gods were shining on us, as it was warm and sunny the whole way, the ferry was late, both departing and docking, and we werent on the road in france until 2.40pm, and i had 280 miles of Belgian Motorway to look forward too, not alot happened really, 2 fuel stops and a whole lot of traffic later we arrived at 7 o clock and pitched up our tents and went out for some grub! The Renault World Series was on at the main GP circuit the same weekend and by chance we managed to stumble on a massive street party that had been put on for the event, so had some dinner and a beer and went to bed!

Sunday morning came and the weather was again perfect, headed down to the ring at 8am and bought my ticket, and went straight out for my first lap, i had done the ring in a car a couple of years ago, but first time on a bike, nervously went through the barrier and hit the first few corners, taking it easy i went into a corner which tightened more than i remember and on cold tyres slid wide, at which point i see a Subaru in my mirrors about to occupy the space i was sliding into, which shit me up a bit! managed to recover it and the rest of the lap went without a hitch, tyres were warm and gripping well and the bike really showed me what it could do, i managed to overtake a few cars and bikes, whilst being overtaken by people, mainly in 911's who knew the place inside out and were gunning it, was very impressive to watch actually!

Then i took the opportunity to take a passenger lap in a mates Lotus Elise, he wasnt hanging around and really enjoyed the lap, until coming round a corner i see two bikes had been taken out by one of those porsches i was talking about, a BMW which came out badly wrecked and an R6 which had literally been cut in half, both riders were ok but that proper shit me up, i really didnt feel like doing another lap on the bike, and further round the lap seeing 2 more accidents didnt help, the track was closed when we returned which seemed to be the theme for the morning, closure after closure, i took a decision to leave it till later until i did some more laps, there just seemed to be to many idiots out there to risk it.

After a really long closure which involved multiple police cars and an air ambulance, the track reopened just after lunch and it seemed people had realised that people were pushing it a little too much and everything seemed much sainer, so i took the opportunity and completed 3 laps on the trot, the bike impressing me more and more and making me feel more and more comfortable until i got to the point on the 3rd lap where my footpegs were grounding out quite regularily, which then lead to my first 'oh shit' moment, overtaking a merc estate i went into a corner quite tight and the peg ground out and seemed to dig in a bit too much, this made me pull out of the lean a bit and the bars got a bit unsettled and wobbled, time for a break!

I got chatting to a few other bikers there, who had overtaken me on the previous lap, they said to me that they made up most of the ground on the straights and my corner speed was comparable to theirs, so i asked if they minded if i tagged behind for a lap, to see how fast they were going on the straights, which gave me alot more confidence under braking.

Then i went out for my final lap and had a real blast, not much traffic to over take or be overtaken by, and everything flowed and came together nicely, until rounding the final corner i opened up full throttle in 3rd to head over the finish straight, which is right at the top of a blind crest, which on the other side somehow on a straight a M3 & several other cars had managed to hit each other, and stop right in the middle of the track, 1 emergency stop later and i made i finished the day unscathed!

The bike did really well, tyres survived surprisingly well, torn up quite nicely but still plenty of tread, and didnt square off with the 400miles of motorway each way.

The journey home sucked, it rained and was long and cold and boring.

I don't think i will be going again on the bike, its just to dangerous for me, it has definately pushed me towards trackdays in the uk, that are bike only and a bit more controlled!! :)

2. Stu

Stu

3. Stu

Stu

Glad you made it back unscathed. What tyres were you riding on?

4. StuRowcliffe

StuRowcliffe

Am trying to see if anyone of the professional photographers got any photos of me out there, none of my mates did! gays! Will post them up as soon as i find some

I was on Michelin Pilot Road 2CT's

5. ustt

ustt

Sounds like you had a great time all in all.
    Been riding over 20yrs but never been abroad on it maybe one day :D

6. StuRowcliffe

StuRowcliffe

[​IMG]

First picture i have found! and its not even that great lol!

7. Stu

Stu

Ah, black, the fastest colour :)

8. Daytonadave

Daytonadave

Nice write up..............shame about your mates being slack taking pictures...............

9. glad u had a good time m8, i really really must do that one day.

10. I'm thinking of heading to Europe next summer to ride around France, Germany and the Alps. The Nurburgring sounded appealing but I think I'll give it a miss after reading about your experiences! It sounds more dangerous than the A23! I used to drive to work and saw two accidents a week on average. Sounds like the Nurburgring racks up several a day! Yikes!

Are there any regulations you need to comply with when riding in Europe?

How did you manage to carry all the clothes and stuff you needed on your Daytona? Luggage space and overheating in my leathers in the sunshine are my biggest concern about making a European road trip!

11. StuRowcliffe

StuRowcliffe

I didn't manage to deal with it at all! Fortunately i had a group of friends going along in their cars so managed to chuck all my stuff in with them. :)

I wouldnt trust throwover panniers straps not burning on the exhaust and flying off, tank bank is a poss and rucksack i guess?

There were at least 5 accidents that day, of which 3 i remember being multiple car/bike, although there was one lap where i only saw one or two other vehicles and thats it, i will be going back for sure, just in a car not a bike! :?

12. mattg

mattg

hi, i live out in germany as work out here with the british army, so ride home (UK) quite often. you dont need to worry about the rules over here too much, mostly there the same as the uk, except in switzerland. avoid gettin caught speeding in holand/belguim tho as they get pritty excited :lol:
    if you can make it out to germany then its well worth a visit, their are some really good roads, espically down south plus its good fun opening the bike up on the autobahn chasin sports cars. it is the only place where i've been flashed to pull out of the fast lane by a car (porsche 911 gt3, doin 160 mph+).
    as for carryin kit, i bought kriega bags. their really good, can atach stright to the seat and really comfortable over long distance, recomend the R35 and the US10. their website is http://www.kriega.com/pages_uk/home/topframeset.html i'm not sure what they'd be like for tourin but can fit a fair amout of kit into them plus their 100% waterproof.
    hope this helps encourage some more uk riders over this way. i've yet to make it to the nurburgring on my bike but have been round in a car, and was really good fun, its much more quiet durin the week, plus they do bike only weekends.