675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Oil Change and Engine Flush?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by Noob_675R, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Noob_675R

Noob_675R

Hey Everyone

Hope everyone is safe and well, and having a great day.

Just wanted to get your thoughts on whether I should do some kind of flush of the engine before changing the oil and filter?

I've just ordered the following:

• 4L Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T 10w-40
    • K&N Powersports Filter
    • K&N Air Filter

Working from home at the moment means I can find time to tinker!

It's not due for a service for a little while yet, but wanted to give her a breath of freshness. Can't do any harm giving a little extra TLC can it!?

So a few pointers would be great:

- Should I do anything special to drain out the oil and any particles?
    - Oil is the correct one isn't it!!!

Anything else that you might recommend?
    Spark plugs?

Sorry for it being a little open-ended, but I don't mind spending a bit of time and energy in making sure it's running as efficiently and smoothly as possible.

Ah (in Colombo style) one last thing!

She runs very hot, 1 indicator less than maximum when she's stood still for any time. Once running and the air is flowing then I can get down to 2, sometime 3 bars under maximum. Should I drain and replace the coolant with anything super-special?

The bike is not tracked, just ridden round North Yorkshire and for as much pleasure as possible.

Thank you for any and all guidance; much appreciated.

;)

2. Oil is fine but there was a batch of K&N oil filters leaking due to poor welding - I've stopped using them a long time ago and now use these...
    Coolant should be swapped ever 2 years ago, along with brake fluids, is yours over 2 years old?

Does the fan kick in when it runs hot and does the thermostat operate ok too?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. I've never bothered with engine flush, I don't like the idea of it, regular oil changes are far better, just get it nice and hot before dropping the oil.

The oil is the correct one.

I tend to leave the plugs alone if it's running well, as its standard you won't gain much from swapping to anything fancy.

But while you are at it install a new sump drain bolt with a magnet on it, it collects metal particles from the oil, cheap as chips of eBay.

As for running hot, have you checked your coolant level? It should be on min when cold.

It's probably worth changing it as you have a bit of spare time (and its cold up north) and coolant is cheap, I use halfords advanced, does the job, you can get fancy waterless or wetter water types but there is a theory that anything without corrosion inhibitor can cause the heat exchanger to implode.

Don't over oil your K&N filter it can cause issues with the mass air flow sensor.

Have fun, I find the 675 nice an easy to work on.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. StephenP

StephenP

I'll chip in with the coolant and suggest Evans waterless coolant. If you're flushing it out this stuff is great. Will last the life of the bike.

Never had to top mine up since putting it in, lowers pressure cause it doesn't boil.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Amazing stuff and I have this in most of my bikes, high boiling point = no burst hoses due to the system not being pressurised.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Noob_675R

Noob_675R

Ooooo .... good advice and seems like a decent price too....

The fan does kick in when it's running hot, just noticed how hot the bike runs and thought about asking whether there is anything fancy I should be doing with the coolant :)

I agree with the potential of damage to seals and such like. I usually (in cars anyway) would drain the oil and fill the engine with oil as a cleaner, run it for a bit and replace it with my final oil change!! (Overkill I hear you scream!!)

Ok, that sounds like a great idea.

Yes, It's just above minimum when cold (room temperature).
    Ok, thanks for the advice on the "waterless", don't like the idea of an implosion!

Ok, didn't know about that at all, so thank you so much for the advice.

Hey Stephen - Will have a look into this..... I'm completely uneducated in this domain. The lower pressure sounds like a good advantage. In light of what 675peggy says about inhibitors, does the Evans one have them?

Thank you all so much.

7. Evans is all good, think it's water wetter that is the problematic one.

8. Noob_675R

Noob_675R

Will definitely have a look into this as that's another shoutout for Waterless.

Ah thanks for the update 675Peggy

9. Stu675

Stu675

Triumph dealer for my last oil filter.
    Was way cheaper than that £7 + VAT = £9 odd plus came with 2 !!! free sump plug washers.

edit: Ignore me, just realised you got 2 filters for that!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Stu675

Stu675

How muddy are the fins of your radiator?

11. Noob_675R

Noob_675R

Not at all really:

IMG_4988.JPG

Although I have noticed a little oil weeping from this :

IMG_4979.JPG

The bolts needed a quarter turn to nip them up:

IMG_4989.JPG

Wondering whether I need to replace the gasket?
    As I'm doing an oil and coolant change might as well.....

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  12. Noob_675R

Noob_675R

Any recommendation where to get this?
    I'll need to get the prep fluid too I guess.

1. Steps are probably something along the lines of:
    2. Drain Existing Coolant
    3. Fill with prep fluid (and run the bike for a bit?)
    4. Drain Prep Fluid
    5. Fill with the Evans PowerSports R
    Appreciate all the fantastic advice and how quickly everyone has answered......Thanks so much.....

Feel blessed y'all !

13. Stu675

Stu675

I wouldn't change the gasket. Those bolts are notorious for being loose. only need 8-9Nm but you might need to tighten them up to that.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Noob_675R

Noob_675R

15. Noob_675R

Noob_675R

16. StephenP

StephenP

Should be good to use out of the box. Dunno what it's made of but the foam ones tend to come pre oiled anyway.

• Thanks Thanks x 1