675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

oil top up

Discussion in 'General' started by burt, May 14, 2009.

1. burt

burt

just got myself ready for this weekend jaunt to Northern Ireland , and thought i should check yhe oil . Well considering she was only serviced two weeks ago , i had to top up about 30 ml of shell advance . Has she used the oil OR did the mechanic not put enough in . The dipstick was just showing on the lower mark . Also one to look out for is tyre pressures , both were down quite a bit , well i shall see how it goes , 750 mile round trip , and its not good weather forcast either .

2. sorry if I'm asking an obvious question... Did you have the bike vertical or was it on the stand? It needs to be straight up, when measured (daft I know).

3. Rowly

Rowly

Sorry to quote from the manual again but Triumph state that an accurate
    indication of oil is only shown when the engine is at normal running temperature
    as well as been straight up on level ground, once normal temp is achieved then
    switch off and wait for three min before checking level with the dipstick fully
    screwed in ;)

4. Thanks Rowly, I've always checked mine when stone cold.

5. towser

towser

This has always wound me up. Why can't they just use a dipstick that measures with the bike on its sidestand!

6. SteveH

SteveH

I've often wandered that to! I mean how many times have you nearly dropped the bike on yourself checking the oil? I know I have especially in 'ye old days' when bikes weight almost as much as aircraft hangers.

Steve

7. This is the only bike I've known with a dip stick (I'm sure there are others). I've always used that little window in the past and it was easier, less messy and you could do it at any time or place.

8. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

Mrs Edski is tasked with holding my bike level, I can't hold the bike, hold the dipstick and wipe the oil off all with two hands. She is getting quite good at it. I doid once suggest that she should use a spirit level but she threatened to drop the bike there and then :lol:

9. Mrs OneWay Home had the same job until I got a paddock stand and she was fired! It seems to give the same reading on the stand and off, so I'm fairly happy with the accuracy.

10. Rowly

Rowly

I find using my Abba stand and tilt the bike so that both wheels are of equal
    distance from the ground, that way I'm certain the bike wont fall over and
    make sure the bike is level both vertically and horizontally :idea:

I apologize in advance to her indoors but there's no way on this earth would
    I entrust her to hold the bike up for me to check the oil :eek: :lol:

11. SteveH

SteveH

Mine flat refuses to touch the bike at all. Suits me ;) the garage is the only room I get to choose the colour and light fittings to lol.

I may wear the trousers in our house, but she most certainly chooses the colour ;) I find it makes for an easier life in the long run.

Steve

12. Rowly

Rowly

Her indoors calls herself the garage widow, she's even offered to put me a bed
    and table lamp in just to make me feel at home :lol:

13. My garage leaks very badly, so I only go in there to get the bike out! I even have an out door cover for the bike even though it is inside!!

14. SteveH

SteveH

:shock: :eek: :shock: I'd have to get that sorted out asap!

Steve

15. It needs knocking down and re-building....

the roof is white asbestos (safe until it needs removing), the walls are cracked concrete panelling and the concrete floor gets wet from underneath when it rains as when it was built (before I was born) they didn't sort the drainage! If I had the money to buy a new garage, I'd be buying something else first!

16. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

I did suggest that Mrs Ed did it nekkid but I got beaten about the head withthe utmost severity :evil:

17. SteveH

SteveH

WE NEED PIC'S LMAO!!!!!!

Pretty sure mine would show me a similar response ;)

Steve