675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

old A1 route

Discussion in 'General' started by andysjt, Nov 5, 2009.

1. andysjt

andysjt

i know its some time away but having watched a re-run of top gear the other day , i was wondering about doing a run up the old A1 route next summer start as near as practical ...say potters bar then stop at Edinbourough head back the next day ........... anyone interesdted ?

2. henrymc

henrymc

Hi Andy,
    That sounds like a good idea to me,
    have no idea how the old A1 differs in rout to the new one but would be a great day or two on the bike,

3. Rowly

Rowly

I can certainly recommend The A1 from north of Newcastle to Edinburg but I would also fit in the best coastal route from Alnwick to Berwick, if you're into history then this area will remind you all of the many conflicts and cross border battles over many centuries between the Scots and the English with its many castles inc Alnwick, Warkworth Bamburh Dunstansborough to name just a few, and of course the famous battle of Flodden Fields in 1513 after King James IV of Scotland declared war on England, how dare he!! but they were no 675's in those days only single horse power to get from A to B and many armies marched hundreds of miles to face certain death, OMG am I glad I live in this century :D
    BTW, its an area of natural outstanding beauty so will compliment the the lines of the equally 675 :cool:

4. well seing as potters bar is round the corner from me would be rude not too....keep us posted nearer the time

5. D41

D41

Yep, so would I!! You can take the B1340 through Christon Bank & Beadnell, then head North to Bamburgh where it becomes the B1342, rejoins the A1 at Belford. OR....if you like the country lanes stay on the A1 & turnoff at North Charlton towards Preston, run straight through Chathill and join the B1340 at Swinhoe. - There's a myriad of country lanes up there, but I've only ever driven them, not sure what they'd be like on a bike. Oh, & don't forget to stop in Seahouses for some of the freshest fish'n'chips you'll ever have...can't remember the name of the place, but the restaurant nearest to "The Ship Inn" is the best IMO. I LOVE that part of England, - know it very well indeed!!

6. could even follow it all the way in at the end to the ace cafe :D with only a little bit of the new a1 needed and a lil bit of the A406..just a sugestion

7. Rowly

Rowly

The Jolly Fishermans at Craster is a must for their home made chips and a nice pint of Black sheep, and of course the Peircy arms at Chatton, for a nice evening meal, and not forgetting Wooler the gateway to the Cheviots and the beautiful Harthorpe and Ingram valleys, wouldn't you agree D41??????

8. henrymc

henrymc

Sounds good to me Curtis if its ok with Andy, Ace cafe is near my old stamping grounds of Harrow and Edgware, biker mate of mine lives in Stanmore and may get him interested also, when we get to Edinburgh we could come back on the A68 all the way to Darlington, Good bike road but a few cameras on the Scottish side of the Border, You fancy the trip Rowly?

9. D41

D41

Yeah, but the Craster road is a dead end, a relative of mine owns the Craster Kipper Co. or whatever it's called...is Chatton right before you head up into Wooler?? - the name rings a bell. Yes, Wooler is a beautiful area in a rugged, harsh way.

10. Rowly

Rowly

Chatton is about 10 miles due east of Wooler, The smoke houses and the kipper production is run by the Robsons family but sadly their fish no longer comes from the once rich fishing grounds of the north sea.

11. Rowly

Rowly

That would depend on dates and work commitments Henry, but the A68 is a great biking road with of course the exception of the speed cameras.

12. D41

D41

They're me Dad's cousins or sommit...or they were - haven't seen 'em in many, many years - could care less really, don't eat kippers.

13. Rowly

Rowly

Another must visit in the Scottish boarders is the Hawick motorcycle museum to pay tribute to Jimmy Guthrie who was tragically killed on his Norton at the Sachsenring Germany and more recently Steve Hizzy Hislop double superbike champion and several TT wins who also tragically killed when the helicopter he was piloting came down in poor weather awww.discovertheborders.co.uk_uploads_images_hizzy.jpg

14. henrymc

henrymc

Did not know about that museum Rowly i was working not far from Hawick a few years ago, :( Hizzy's TT winning Norton is in the National Motorbike museum in Solihull.

15. Rowly

Rowly

When I was up in Northumberland in October this year I drove up to Hawick to see it but did not realize that the museum shut at 3pm off season so didn't get in to have a look, must go next year though, I also discovered that he has a room all about him in Drumlanrig Tower at the end of the High Street in Hawick as well.
    afarm4.static.flickr.com_3136_2590790954_c11b751df7.jpg

16. henrymc

henrymc

What a pity he never reached his full potential he had the makings of a WSB and MOTO Gp world champion,
    bet you knew that he smashed Rossi's lap record at Donnington.

17. Rowly

Rowly

Andy sorry mate seemed to have hijacked your brill idea, but just thought if you're going to go all that way you must take in some of the local culture along the way, it would be rude not to, but yeah it sounds like a good idea its just getting as many folk together at the same time. :wave:

18. andysjt

andysjt

Well now , there seems to be a bit of interest in this idea so i will look into the route a bit closer in the new year and incorporate some of the ideas suggested along the way , and see what we all think
    As suggested a more traditional start point would be the ace cafe but wasn’t too sure about congestion charge getting closer to city centre, I’m sure someone will know, I had the idea that those of us who wanted to could start at the ace or potters bar , others further north could join at a more convenient point along the A1 , the same on the way back next day .
    A suitable stop over point would be needed in or around Edinburgh , so if anyone has any recommendations ?

19. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

Sounds good to me - I'd probably join you somewhere on the way.

Place to stop in Edinburgh - what sort? Hotel? Bunkhouse?
    We're getting a lot of ideas for rides so we could do with a calendar/diary else we'll never fit it all in :D

20. andysjt

andysjt

all right Ed,
    trust you are well ,

a calendar is a good idea ( there is one at the top of the page ? )

place to stop over well something comfortable I guess, not over expensive , don’t mind bikes , but not a cesspit , a Monford bridge of the north would be ideal for me