675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

old style r1

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by 675 hooligan, Dec 2, 2009.

1. 675 hooligan

675 hooligan

ive just sold my masterbike and i bought myself a blue W reg R1 has custom R1 exhaust hangers and a unknown can,sounds rly gd tho i love it 2 bits any1 on her had1 b4? wats your thoughts on them? cheers :mrgreen:

2. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

Any pic's of the beast? I love Yamaha's they always sound great, new or old. Whats the condition like?
    The thing I find with older bikes, you grow to love the newer models then the older models loose the appeal. However my old R6 will always look great in my eyes :D

3. lost

lost

there great bikes mate but i always found myself the wrong side of 3 figures to have any real fun

4. 675 hooligan

675 hooligan

dunno how 2 upload pics onto websites,yes im sad i know haha :) i just love old bikes and ive always wanted a R1 since they came out,its alot more practical 4 me aswell the missus prefers it alot better than the 675 and it used 2 give me a sore back aswell,the r1 is rly comfy and i feel alot more relaxed on it :mrgreen:

5. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

Image uploader tool -> https://www.675.cc/upload/ ;)

How tall are you 675 hooligan? It's interesting to hear that some people have issues with their back with the 675's where as with other bikes they're fine and same the other way around, people who are fine on 675's get bad backs on other bikes. I wonder whats the optimum height.... *ponders*

Sounds like you've made a good choice, did the insurance go up much? :)

6. 675 hooligan

675 hooligan

im about 5 "9 5 "10 i think, lol im rly chuffed with her,i was down at the dealers today gettin a brand spankin dainese 2 piece laguna seca suit they were after 670 for it but i got it for 540 cuz i bought the r1 last week :mrgreen: anyways bak 2 the subject haha i always found with the 675 as soon as i sat on it i was in full race mode and it didnt matter how hard i tried 2 cool it i was always flat oot or on the bak wheel even in places where i knew i was askin 4 trouble but i feel alot more calm on the r1 becuz the riding position is completely different and alot more settled

7. I must agree - I bought a new 2000 spec R1 and thought it fantastic until one day I found myself at 155 without trying! I only kept it for 3 months!
    I reckon that it was, and still is, the fastest, most powerful machine I've had but not necessarily the most enjoyable
    Great bikes in the right hands. ;)

8. 675 hooligan

675 hooligan

Well to be honest i really cant take it anymore!!! ive got a R1 in the garage and i cant drive it till summer im pullin my hair out i can normally cope with no biking in winter but this year im so frustrated!!! any1 feel the same? haha

9. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

I couldnt agree more. I havent been out on my bike for waht seems like a lifetime. Its hard enough getting the car out in the snow. Theres no way I would get further than a yard out the garage without falling off the bike

10. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

That and its bloody freezing!

11. bladebiker

bladebiker

I had a 1999 R1 fir about 3 years. It was the fastest thing I have ever ridden. A real missile. Funnily enough it was really easy to ride and fitted me perfectly. Although you do need a steering damper. The only thing was I was always scared of losing my licence. Most of the time you can only us half of the throttle movement and anything above that, virtually in any gear, would spin 3 numbers up. I wished I'd kept it really as it was such a great bike. The 675 is more rewarding though because it's nearer to my abilities than the R1 was. I think the R1 just tolerated me to be honest.

12. 675 hooligan

675 hooligan

well i went for the r1 becuz 1 ive always loved them and 2,with the 675 i just couldnt calm down on it,i was going to lose my license so im just hoping with the r1 being a more relaxed seating position it wont gode me in2 ringing its neck 24/7 but i think im just kidding myself haha time will tell :mrgreen:

13. bladebiker

bladebiker

Your kidding yourself there buddy !

14. T9Steve

T9Steve

I went out for a ride on Sunday morning with a friend who is running in his new Buell 1125cc and while out we stopped at the local Yamaha/Triumph dealer for a coffee, we walked in and had a look around at the new bikes and stopped at the R1, you could have knocked me over with a feather when I saw the price tag !! £12,499. I know the Japan bike industry is in crisis having produced less bike last year than they did in 1959 and the Yamaha industrial group lost over 400m but surely they will not turn it around by trying to sell at European bike manufactures prices for a mass produced Japanise product?

15. D41

D41

The Jap bikes have jumped up in price over here too, though not quite as much - I read somewhere that the weak Yen is the cause of this. The current strength of the Euro vs US Dollar is leading to the European bikes being sold here holding at a fairly steady price - in some cases even lowering it

16. 675 hooligan

675 hooligan

well my group of guys have booked a rolling road day for the 5th of june,its all fireblades,r1's,blackbirds,zrx11 and 12's etc etc every1 is going mad buying cans and power commanders 1 guy is thinking of turbo'n his tuned up zrx1100 haha so ive orderd a dynojet kit and k and n for my r1,ive also spoken 2 MTC exhausts there going 2 make me a full on race system aswell,im hoping for 150 at the back wheel! :mrgreen: will keep u guys posted