675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Overseas scooter riding

Discussion in 'Riding Tips' started by Frequent Flyer, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Frequent Flyer

Frequent Flyer

Almost hired a scooter today in ibiza, but thought I'd be family friendly and get a car instead so we could go back to the sunset strip and do cafe mambo tonight/do a lap of the island tomorrow.

Great evening - but found out the hire car (ford fiesta circa 2012) hasn't had new brake pads since it was built and the locals see 9:30-10:15 as the local GP... Some poor scooter rider got knocked over (t-boned and thrown onto the kerb) right in front of me when a local did a quick fire u turn in front of him... I stopped the car just behind to help/shield him from his compatriots - luckily for him, it happened outside "Ocean" nightclub and the bouncers/ocean paramedic were there helping him within minutes.

Kids and the missus are naturally quite shook up having seen that - just what I need before a Trackday, but tbh I'm just glad the pizza delivery guy was conscious and had paramedic help immediately at hand.

And not 100% unhappy I didn't hire that scooter now, especially considering the sponginess of the fiesta brakes - and that's before thinking of the condition of the rental lid/lack of gear...

2. emma-lou

emma-lou

Oh heck that's dreadful, specially for the kids to see. Good on you for the Good Samaritan act. My friend jake moved to Spain and started riding around in shorts and helmet on his sports bike, within a year he'd gone through a shop plate glass window, and ended up on life support, 71 stitches in his face alone. His girlfriend was half clothed on the back and she was equally badly scarred. Awful. Still, he made full recovery of sorts. He, for sure wasn't so beautiful after the accident, but as it happens he was killed on motorway slip a year later, jeans, flip flops t shirt helmet. Live fast...It's mad not wearing protection, but when it's that hot I suppose you get caught up with the need to be cool? I'm glad you didn't bother hiring a sub standard veloped.

3. scaramanga

scaramanga

i dont ride in leathers all the time but i hate seeing people in shorts and t-shirts
    i always were a jacket but jeans atleast on the bottom for sure
    and no matter how hot i always ware glooves and boots

4. D41

D41

So......who delivered the pizza????

I'd always recommend the trauma class....this one is a bit different, but you guys & gals know the drill...we're usually out riding in remote areas, and it's one of our mates who falls off and needs assistance, so we're the ones who render it first.

Visit a fire station and ask for tips etc.....I've helped in a few classes, and even wangled a helicopter ride out of it for my efforts (outside, on a stretcher, in a fecking freezing cold capsule!)....worst they can do is say no....but these rescue/fire/ambulance types know their sh*t, and what they most definitely don't want is people wading in there and doing the WRONG thing to an immobilised accident victim.

PS....the cold outside the chopper is actually good for the patient...slows the heart rate down to optimum levels or some crap....OR, they just didn't want to let me inside. B@stards.

5. Stu675

Stu675

^^^^ The Iam club I'm in has offered courses in Guildford Fire Station, should be some more in the future if anyone is interested.

I can safely promise you no choppers :eek:

6. emma-lou

emma-lou

^people or bikes stu?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Frequent Flyer

Frequent Flyer

The S.Wales fire service did them last year for free - called Biker Down and well worth doing for accident management, how to safely look after a dower biker until professional help arrives and how to call for help - note all the biker beware/route signs have numbers on the back of them. The emergency services know the location of each of them - beats "by the reservoir/under the mountain".

• Like Like x 1