675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Overtaking on roundabouts

Discussion in 'Riding Tips' started by Edski675, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Edski675

Edski675

Administrator Staff Member

Shrewsbury has an inner bypass - one lane each way but fairly wide, with 5 ace r/bouts dotted along it. On the r/bouts the road is 2 lanes wide. I occasionally overtake on the r/bouts, which means cutting in a bit smartish to get the exit. Normally goes OK but about a year ago some old boy got very upset - lots of horn and flashing lights etc, surprising for an old goat really, I didn't know geriatrics knew such things - and just recently, a few weeks back, I upset some chav in a Corsa who chased me down to the next r/bout - traffic light controlled and on red so no escape. I had my earplugs in so didn't hear exactly what he was yelling but the gesticulations of the tattooed hand were enough...

Safe? Not safe? Would you overtake on a roundabout?

2. I had a bad experience a few years ago doing simular in a car,ended up clipping the N/S rear corner of my car on a Landrover bumper (they are bloody hard,put a sizable dent in the car,no damage to the Landy) I would only do it on the bike if I can be well clear of the scene of the crime by the time the dozy cager has woken up :lol: :!: Ere on the side of caution,I would say ;) :!:

3. It's down to the drivers attitude. Not proud but I'm rather an agresive driver (I put it down to the 30,000 miles a year I do for work). I've found that it depends on what you are driving to how people treat you and therefore how I aproach a situation.

In my big estate car, people tend not dive out on you, tend not to cut you up and generally give some respect.

When I'm diriving my wifes fiesta, I get cut up, pulled out on, flashed to go faster even when I am 20 over the speed limit

On the bike, it's the same thing, the only difference is that when you come up behind someone on the motorway, they generally move over to let you past, where in the cars they tend not to.

So, to my point.....

I will over take on a roundabout in my car as most of the time no one is going to challenge it. Never do anything like that in my wifes, as they will try and ram me and on the bike, just remember that old people think bikers are a menace with loud exhausts, chavs are generally pissed of with us cos even the rich ones (most do drive their mothers car that looks like it just crashed into halfords) who have imprezas still have a slower machine than we do. They are just bitter

If its safe do it, if it's not don't.

On the point of road rage, if they kick off and offer to get out of their car, just graciously accept but point out that you have a helmet on, an armoured suit and kevlar reinforced gauntlets for gloves. It's amazing how quickly they calm down.

4. mike675se

mike675se

I would have twa**ed the little chav for gobbing off like that! Like you say, we're wearing the armoured suit. I'd overtake if I thought it was safe, every situation is different. But I have witnessed many car drivers doing it when it isn't safe, and it's usually them who beep when it gets done to them.

5. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

All I can sa on this is get your self out to Germany, they have no idea how to go round a round about as every junction has traffic lights. Do or die and if you do do it fast.............very fast :geek:

If there is a gap get your self through it and dont look back. UK is a doddle after Germany. Overtaking is all part of the ride, just take care and be safe for everyones sake.

;)

6. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

I think it all depends on the situation and location really. From my point of view I find road users are more unpredictable when it comes to roundabouts, with the majority of drivers in the wrong lane. Roundabouts are the one thing that the majority of new drivers hate; that'll always be a mystery to me; never had an issue myself with them! :lol: On a bike obviously it's easier to get past and out of the way of the drivers so if you know you'll pull it off I'd go for it, however it may come of a shock to other road users as they probably wont be aware of you until you're past making them think they could of hit you when 9 times out of 10 they wouldn't providing you've made the right judgment call. The only other thing to consider is the speed, gear and angle of the roundabout...

An interesting read is: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/ ... EPI-102380

7. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

99% of the time I havent got a problem with overtaking on roundabouts, especially if there is more than one lane. My rule is if I can overtake without causing the jam jar driver to change his/her speed or direction, then it's perfectly safe and shouldnt cause offence. Every now and then you get a pillock that god only knows what goes through their minds, be patient, hold back and then blast past them as fast as you can on the straight!

8. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

I have two round abous on way to work, the first is straight forward take the inside line and stick with it then peel off, no sweat.

The second is the ypical leap of death, no one indicates and then you just ahve to go for it :? :? :?

Twice a day I have to blast out and hope the prat comming at me at 50 can turn the stearing wheel, mad but trure as for overtaking I'm just glad to get on and off the thing in one piece :eek: :? :geek: