675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Paint blistering in tank filler

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by markirel, Sep 18, 2009.

1. markirel

markirel

Caught the edge of the filler hole with a fuel nozzle the other day and look what's started to happen. :eek:

[​IMG]

The fuel has gone under the paint and now its blistering up. No guarantee now that with this process having started that it won't come past the cap and make a mess of the top of the tank. Any thoughts on what I should do to stop this getting worse? There was an identical tank on ebay which ended yesterday but it went for £323, well above my budget as I thought if I had 2 I could use one for trackdays and possibly paint in a different colour to match fairings.

I could take the cap off, remove the damaged paint and paint the area in something like black hammerite (won't matter at the cap will cover it). Anyone know if the screw in race caps would cover this better? Do they have a tube which aligns with the hole in the tank, i.e. you can't see any paint?

Cheers, M

2. markirel

markirel

Doh! Just realised I've posted in the wrong area. Can one of the admin kindly move to "maintenance and technical help"?

Thanks.

3. jimjam39

jimjam39

Ive read about this happening on earlier bikes (06 and 07's) on another forum, and I think it was covered under warranty. As to how far the paint would bubble, I would suspect not that far, but dont quote me on that ! :(