675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

PAINT HELP!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by OLLIE, May 12, 2009.

1. OLLIE

OLLIE

HI ALL

ITS BEEN A WHILE SINCE IVE POSTED BUT MY REASON IS A GOOD ONE. IVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO GET OFF MY BIKE IM PRETTY SURE THE D675 IS THE REASON THE WHEEL WAS INVENTED! LITTLE DID THE CAVE MAN KNOW HE WOULD PLAY SUCH A MAJOR ROLL IN THE BIGGER PLAN.
    IVE NOW COMPLEATED 800 RUNNING IN MILES IN 2 WEEKS ALL IN THE AIM TO GET THE THE BIG 1000 ASAP. AND ALTHOUGH THE FISRT SUB-4000RPM ONE WERE PAINFULL, I CAN NOW SAY I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THE WAY THIS BIKE RIDES AND LOOKS. AMAZING! AS IM SURE YOU WILL AGREE ( ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE A BLACK ONE AND HAVE FITTED THE BHP BOOSTING STICKER SET.)

BUT..............................

I HAVE JUST DISCOVERED THE BLOODY PAINTWORK!
    AFTER A BIG RIDE THIS WEEKEND AND THE USUAL WASH AND POLISH I NOTICED THE PAINT SEEMS TO HAVE BEEN RUBBED BACK WHERE MY LEGS TOUCH THE BIKE. THERE ARE TWO PATCHES OF MATT BLACK.
    AFTER LOOKING AROUND IT SEEMS THIS IS A COMMON PROBLEM AND I WAS WANDERING HOW FAR ANYONE HAS EVER GOT PERSUING THIS WITH A DEALER OF HEAD OFFICE IM ABOUT TO KICK OF TOMORROW AND ANY INFO OR HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPREACIATED.

I KNOW I COULD COVER IT UP WITH PADS BUT IM BEING PETTY ON THIS ONE AND SAYING THATS NOT THE POINT.

ILL POST AGAIN AS SOON AS I HAVE ANY NEWS.

IN THE MEAN TIME 200 MILES TO GO. THEN BRING ON THE NOISE!!!!
    OLLIE

2. Stu

Stu

Hi Olllie

I'm glad you're enjoying your ride. ;) Mine goes matt but poishes up. Are you sure it's not residue from you kit. If not, let us know how you get on with the claim.

3. JDB

JDB

I found the rubber buttons on my jacket rubbed on the tank - and gave black marks - so fitted a carbon tank protector.
    The other options is I could lose 4 inches off my waist/chest.......

4. andysjt

andysjt

hi Ollie ,
    yes paint is a bit shit , but it looks like that’s the way things are going , my new car is the same soft as putty , also my mates R6 is the same ,as is mine bike , I think is some eco thing that means they can’t make the full fat paint anymore
    after my first ride i was shocked to see how flat the paint had gone on the tank ,but as stue said it dose polish out , after 5k miles it hasn't got any worse , fitted tank protector ,but didn’t bother with stomp grip
    if you are going to have a magnetic tank bag get some clear stick on carbon sheet , because the paint will defo scratch , it doesn’t look all that good but it saves your tank & you don’t see it when the tank bag is on
    the other thing is black will always show the slightest mark , my car is black and i don’t clean it anymore ,i get too pissed off with it , so my wife dose it , i just stick to my bike & the van

5. RICH675

RICH675

HI GUYS.
    MOST AUTOMOTIVE APPLICATIONS NOWADAYS USE WATER BASED PAINTS. WHILST THEY ARE KIND TO THE ENVIROMENT, THEY DO NOT LEND THEMSELVES TO A DEEP GLOSS 'TRADITIONAL FINISH'.
    GO TO YOUR LOCAL VAUXHALL DEALERS AND CHECK OUT THE NEW STOCK SHINE.ALSO ONE HAS TO APPRECIATE THAT CLOTHING RUBBING AGAINST PAINTWORK WILL HAVE A 'SCOURING' ACTION, THUS LEADING TO A DULL/MATT FINISH.
    THE FITTING OF A SURFACE PROTECTOR [TANK PAD/STOMP GRIP/ETC] WILL MINIMISE THIS BUT NOT FULLY ALEIVIATE IT.
    I PERSONALLY POLISHED THE BIKE EVERY OTHER DAY WITH A SUPERIOR GRADE POLISH [ SUPAGARD. AUTOGLYM. SIMONIZ. ETC] FROM NEW FOR THE FIRST MONTH. THIS PUT A PROTECTIVE SHELL/COATING ON THE PAINTWORK WHICH MINIMIZES THE EFFECTS OF RIDING UNDER NORMAL CONDITIONS.
    THE MOTOR TRADE HAVE TO DEAL WITH COMPLAINTS ALL DAY WITH REFERENCE TO MALFUNCTIONS OR DEFECTS. IF YOU TAKE YOUR HOME HI-FI AND SHAKE ABOUT AND BANG CONSTANTLY YOU WILL SOON FIND IT FAILING. . . . . . BUT YOU EXPECT YOUR CAR OR MOTORCYCLE HI-FI TO ENDURE POT HOLED ROADS AND EXTREME CLIMATIC CONDITIONS AND PERFORM FAULTLESLY. AS YOU DO YOUR AIR-CON [THOSE WITH POSH CARS]. THIS IS BASICALLY A FRIDGE YOU HAVE AT HOME. . . . .TRY THROWING THAT AROUND A LITTLE AND SEE IF IT STILL OPERATES CORRECTLY. BIKES ARE SERIOUSLY COMPLEX MACHINERY NOW INCLUDING ALL ASPECTS OF DESIGN AND BUILD. JUST CHERISH AND LAVISH THE LOVE AND CARE ON THEM THAT THEY DESRVE. THINK OF IT AS A MEMBER OF THE FAMILY OR A LOVER. POLISH THE BIKE REGULAR POLISH THE HELMET REGULAR. . . . . . . . SO TO SPEAK. CHERISH THE BEAUTY THAT IS THE 675.

6. Graham H675

Graham H675

use a polishing wax not a stright polish as a normal polish has a high cutting compound in it and low protection as a polishing wax has a low cutting compound enough to remove them water stains and minor marks but puts and good portection coat on the paint. I personally use autosmart platinum wax followed by carnuba wax this set very hard and if u get minor marks eg leather marks etc normally u mark the wax finish so will just polish out.

7. andysjt

andysjt

just a thought ,

moved in to our present house 2 years ago had it off a couple in their 90’s ,so you can imagine what we found in the garage :eek:

amongst the oddments i found some car polish with a picture of a early 1980s rover on it , smells lovely ,full of god knows what
    i tried it on my bike as a top coat & it dose shine up noticeably better than ,the modern stuff i have .
    so maybe its not just the paint that has less effective but more eco friendly products in it ,perhaps its the polish as well ?

8. Hi,

I noticed that the tank on the demo bike i rode before i bought mine had 'wear' marks on the side if the tank, so as soon as mine arrived i got the tank covered in a clear plastic film called ventureshield. The tank is now protected and its almost undetectable.

http://www.ventureshield.com/

btw: using caps is the internet equivalent of SHOUTING and it is actually harder to read.

9. i am going to get mind ventureshielded (if there is such a word lol) soon! certainly within the first month of ownership!

10. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

Can we please stop shouting. Upper case is difficult to read.

Paint - grr. My leathers have scratched the tank, by the knee grip. No fancy titanium sliders, just leather. It sort of disappears a bit with polish but comes back.