675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Pillions

Discussion in 'Riding Tips' started by OnlyOneWayHome, Jan 17, 2009.

1. OnlyOneWayHome

OnlyOneWayHome

Hi,

Went out with my wife on the back today. She loved it (thank goodness) but said that the "seat is a bit slippy" and she didn't feel as safe as she did on my GSXR.

My questions are:

Have any of you had this problem?

Could it be due to the cleaner I use (MuckOff Bike Cleaner)

How can I get round this problem?

Thanks

2. hi mate, had the same problem with mine so i got myself a triboseat pillion seat cover on ebay for about 12 quid, peice of cake to fit and works a treat...stops the pillion headbutting the pilot every time he brakes..well worth the money

3. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

To be fair I've yet to find the first 'victim' as a pillion with me; it'll be an interesting ride that's for sure :shock:
    Before you ride with a pillion do you go through the saga of adjusting the suspension, tyres and head lights like they drill into you whilst learning to ride? Or do most of you not bother? Also any tips to avoid scaring the crap out of the pillion? :p

4. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

I take my 7 year old to school every day, when not raining or snowing that is and he just slips in behind me :?

Just have to remeber he is there some times so light, bt I like the idea of the non slip seat. :ugeek:

Regarding Pillions, I used to have a belt that went round me and the "ex-wife" on the CBR1000 as when we use to come back from Hartz Mountains via Callase she used to fall a sleep lying on my back :eek: Did it a fair few times :x

Just a thought as anyone tried or used the "Sisi Belts" thought of getting one for the little en so I can take him further afield:?:

5. OnlyOneWayHome

OnlyOneWayHome

I have always had my wife as a pillion on both bikes I've owned (unwritten condition for having one). She is about 9st and I have never bothered with suspension settings (partially due to being too scared to mess with them) or tyre presure. The things I notice are are braking is massively different, I seem to find myself applying the back brake harder; slow manuvering is OK till she moves slightly and then the bike suddenly goes very heavy or very light for what feels like no reason.

She tends to tuck herself in behind me, rather than just sit up, so on motorways we are ok up to about 80 but you can never tuck in and just go for it.

To avoid scaring the crap out of her, a lot comes from her experience. She tends to know whether I am going to overtake or not and if she is not happy with something (normally excesive speed in a bend) she justs squeezes and I slow down.

I have took others out on the back of my gixer, my daughter and friend just screamed every time I accelerated (not hard) and my brother never paid enough attention and ended up in the saddle with me under some heavy braking!

6. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

I only ever had this problem when my pillion wasn't wearing leathers, so that was the solution!

7. Stu

Stu

Tie wrap her to the foot pegs. She won't go anywhere :)

8. OnlyOneWayHome

OnlyOneWayHome

mm good idea but then I would have to get off and close the garage door and pay for brews when we stop!

9. Stu

Stu

I see your point. :( You could get the brew money off of her before you set off. I'd also get her to install a remote garage door for you. Problem solved :)

10. OnlyOneWayHome

OnlyOneWayHome

Thanks to nigelaustin2. I've bought a Triboseat (£12 on ebay) and fitted it today. The quality seems quite high but fitting it so it looked as good on the picture is another matter. I've put a pic in the gallery of it fitted and I'll be interested to see what its like after a few hundred miles.

Thanks again nigelaustin2 for the recomendation.

11. you are most very welcome, glad to be of assistance..i agree it was a bit fiddly but they dont look too out of place once theyre on...hope you get on with it ok...youll have to try some stoppies with your pillion on to see if it works :twisted:

12. OnlyOneWayHome

OnlyOneWayHome

Good idea, though I'll try it using my teenager rather than the wife, it'll give him something to be specifically grumpy about rather than just generally grumpy!!!

13. Chris

Chris

My girlfriends the inflatable kind ... problem solved! :eek: ;)

14. Im supposed to be taking a girl friend out on the back, but ive never taken a pillion before. any Tips please, should I be worried or is it not as bad as I imagine?

15. hi mate, my advice would be to tell her to lean with you, Take it slowly at first till you both get used to it and get her to hold round your waist, speed comes with practice and confidence so just take it easy to start...you never know, she may get a real thrill out of it ;)

16. OnlyOneWayHome

OnlyOneWayHome

She needs to know some very simple rules...

Don't get on till you tell her
    Don't get off till you tell her

I asked my wife for some thoughts from the pillions view. She says.....

Tell her to relax as much as possible and be wibbly (I presume she means go with the bike!!). The one thing that she says is the most important is this:

Don't do anything silly / show off! If she gets scared and loses confidence in you then she will just stiffen up and you are further back then when you first started.

We have a a signal that if she sqeezes me then she has a problem. If she does this, I first slow down, it she carries on squeezing I pull in.

17. Hi Godzilla,

My top tip would be to tell her that if she sees you approaching a junction (roundabout, turn etc) or thinks you will slow down (she should be able to see quite well perched on the pillion seat as my girlfriend says she was quite high up, but then she is almost 6 ft!) then do the following (I am assuming that she will be holding on around your waist):

1. keep one hand on your side/waist to stop her flying off the back should you accelerate again.

2. put one hand on your lower back to stop her headbutting you in the back of the head! (it is really annoying when that happens as it always throws my head forward so suddenly you aren't looking at the thing you were slowing down for!)

You will probably appreciate how good the brakes are....and when you brake with just you on the bike you will probably slide forward....so imagine that with extra weight perched on top.

The other big one is that she will probably slide around a bit, but tell her to keep fidgeting/re-adjusting to a minimum, especially at low speeds (my girlfriend told me she thought it would be better for her to re-adjust herself at lower speeds....but it affects the bike more).

Hope this helps.....I'm sure there are many more opinions on this!

18. OnlyOneWayHome

OnlyOneWayHome

To stop the sliding around, get a Tribo seat cover. They are really good and the wife says she is a lot happier since I fitted it.

19. Thanks guys for the info, Im hoping some of the info wont be needed as she is learning to ride herself. It was really for me to know what to look fort in the way that the bike handles 2 up.
    Im gonna tell her if she nuts the back of my lid she can buy me a new one. :)

20. OnlyOneWayHome

OnlyOneWayHome

The only difference I notice to my riding is that if she stiffens up the bike won't turn and you have to sometimes lean off.

The best thing is, when we come back from a ride, she gets off and goes in and I go out for another hour. The bike feels so light and a lot more responsive. You really appeciate it having just spent however long on what felt like a heavy bike.