675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Pillions

Discussion in 'Riding Tips' started by OnlyOneWayHome, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

In the days when I saw more of him *sigh* my godson was so good on the back that I used to forget that he was there and I used to have to check that he hadn't fallen off. Lots of good tips up above, but no fidgeting is important as even a small movement can upset the bike. Be as smooth as you can, bashing lids aren't good. Brake well in advance, but you'll find that a heavier bike slows quicker anyway.

2. Thanks for the reply but how do you work out that bit? It goes agains all the laws of physics.

3. I guess that a heavier bike will technically have more traction when upright (due to the extra download force of the weight), so you could (in theory) brake harder......however, that might result in the pillion ending up in front of you!

Not recommended!

Always leave more time for braking is my advice.

4. Edski675

It has more drag, so more friction, so Newton's first law is going to be displaced, the (increased) friction here being the unbalanced force needed to displace. have I got that right? O level physics was a long time ago.... :lol:

5. No, More mass = more momentum and higher kinetic energy for the same speed. Therefore brakes need to get rid of much higer enrgies, so assuming that the brakes dont suddenly get better when a pillion sits on the seat, braking distance will be longer.

I can do it with number in more depth if you want me to.

PS. Degree in Physics/Astronomy (and no Im not a rocket scientist lol)

6. jimjam39

jimjam39

The maths may be correct Godzilla, but I agree with Edski. When I'm out with the missus on the back it certainly FEELS that it slows quicker :?

7. Just seems really odd to me, thats all. Will let you know my opinion soon, when Ive had someone on the back :)

8. Do you think it could just be that you are subconsciously slowing sooner as you know you have someone on the back....hence seems like you stop quicker?

PS. Degree in Psychology!

9. jimjam39

jimjam39

Could be ;) , the missus keeps telling me my head needs seeing too :lol:

10. Edski675

Am happy to accept I'm wrong :D

11. You may not be, I just dont understand it if you are right. But that wouldnt be surprising.