675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Poor Quality Riding Gear

Discussion in 'General' started by Simon Humphreys, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Simon Humphreys

Simon Humphreys

OK, not Daytona specific but I need to vent this somewhere. Just back from a fantastic ride into Wales but got caught in some rain on the last leg back. My textile kit leaked top and bottom. The jeans in the crutch and the jacket at the cuffs and main zip (which to be fair could be wicking rather than waterproofing failure).

Anyone having trouble with wet weather gear? In recent times I have had the following:

Oxford Montreal 2.0 jacket faulty x 2 (Original and replacement, both as waterproof as a teabag).
    Oxford Montreal 3.0 jacket also not even a bit waterproof.

Spada Latitude Jacket - faulty, leaked
    Replacement Spada jacket - also leaks

Spada Turini Trousers x 2 original and replacement not waterproof

I add that leaks occurred in light to moderate rain on relatively short journeys.

Typically I try to avoid wet weather riding these days and no longer having a job to commute to means that my wet weather gear doesn't get put to the test.

To add insult to injury:

Oxford heated grips - intermittently don't work, auto cut off feature no longer works.
    Oxford Optimate - failed last week when i tried to recharge the failed battery due to the grips not turning off.

OK, I may be unlucky but I think the real picture is that motorcycle accessory stuff is of very dubious quality. Manufacturers should be held to account I believe.

How much do you have to spend to get a dry ride I wonder? Any recommendations?

2. Well, I do find that the deeper your pockets the better off you’ll be in this department. To be fair work have provided me with a cheaper set of RST goretex kit. (And I mean ‘cheap’ in the scale of things as I believe no motorcycle kit is cheap really) I’d say the outfit was probably around £600-£700 for jacket and trousers and they are ok but V. bulky, which I’m not a fan of.
    But I also brought a Dainese in 2013 which I have used for multiple Europe trips which included torrential down pours and has performed brilliantly. However that was brought at the NEC and was £1000 which was a show price (that was 8yr ago). This summer was the first time I cleaned it and re-proofed it with nikwax. Shall see how that goes.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SW73

SW73

I find nothing to be truly waterproof. Resistant yes...but it always finds a way.
    The heated Oxford grips, I find excellent. Much better than manufacturers rubbish.
    Optimate...I have 3. All work fine.
    I don't doubt it's getting worse as the chinesium becomes more prevalent.
    I'm in the lakes for 5 days on the two fiddy so everything is getting a work out! PXL_20210915_124545558.jpeg PXL_20210915_161219381.MP.jpeg PXL_20210914_112810773.jpeg PXL_20210915_160451854.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using 675.cc mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  4. cpszx

cpszx

Cheap or expensive, doesn’t really matter. once it gets to about 3 years, it just starts to leak, in my experience.

When it comes to extreme biblical amounts of water, you get what you pay for and stay drier longer, but will eventually get wet.

i had bks laminated which was brilliant until it leaked at 2 years then never stopped leaking.
    I had rukka laminated which was brilliant for 3 years until it started leaking.
    I now have hideout laminated for 4 years which is also brilliant, but has leaked however, as they are uk based i can go and see them and get it repaired.

i dont think anything beats simple plastic overs for value for money and performance though.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Out of interest did you ever re-proof your gear? I only ask as this is the first yr I’ve done mine and wondered wat the results might be. I haven’t experienced leaks to be honest but figured it was way overdue.
    Was seeing if you had done it and if the result was still leaks.
    Cheers

6. cpszx

cpszx

I have done a couple of times, normally when the distributor or manufacturer were stalling before taking it back for repair…
    Never made any lasting difference

7. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Oversuit ftw.
    I've also never had any "waterproof" gear that has lived up to expectations. A long time ago I was brought an one piece oversuit as an Xmas present, and never bothered relying on any other method since.
    Having said that I just default to a cage these days, if it looks like rain.:oopsoops:

Looks brilliant fun mate. :green:
    I hope you're not damaging any of those beautiful lake district rocks, with your Honda levers.:pp

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. cpszx

cpszx

i’m over that way too, staying in Kendal until Sunday, where are you based?

am getting a workout chucking my bmw gsa elephant around the back roads, with wife pilly

9. SW73

SW73

Apologies I missed this Craig. I'd moved on when I saw it.

10. SW73

SW73

LOL...I had it straightened by MHB motorcycles in Kirby Stephen who were excellent. They're the AJP dealer so interesting to call in. I suspect I've bust a few rocks with my knees, helmet, back and shoulders but the lever was too femur

11. Hi Simon

I had a Hein Gericke Master V Suit 12yrs ago (they’re available on Fleabay for a lot lot less than the £750-ish I paid for a new one!)

I dug it out last weekend after being in a protective suit bag last weekend (I’m getting back on the road after a long break) & tested it by letting my kids blast me with the garden hose for 10mins.... amazingly, no leaks anywhere.... worth the money in my book!
    I commuted for 300+ days a year for 2 years in it & it was flawless then too.
    Id certainly consider a decent second-hand set of jacket/bib trousers.

Hope this helps