675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Power Commander

Discussion in 'General' started by kingfixer, Jul 10, 2009.

1. kingfixer

kingfixer

Has anyone got a power commander fitted to their 675 and if so how much difference does it make :erm:

2. SteveH

SteveH

Honestly, with the way Triumph are with remapping at every service and having maps for all their accessories. I wouldn't bother mate. You may get a slight difference but I wouldn't have thought it worth the hassle and expense of fitting one. Having said that, if your running an aftermarket exhaust system from a different manufacturer then it may be worth while. But any of the Arrow gear or the TOR can, Triumph already have developed maps for these with it's own ECU so I wouldn't have thought it worth it.

Steve

3. What about a quickshifter,is it simpler to fit if you have a PC fitted? Or will the new conversion kit from Triumph to fit a QS to the street triple fit on the 06-08MY Daytonas? That would be just too easy... wouldn't it?

4. SteveH

SteveH

Not actually fit one but I'm pretty sure on the loom there's a break from the factory for fitting Triumph's quickshifter kit, making it plug and play into the OE ECU. As the PC is just a piggyback ecu essentially I can't see how this would effect the use of a Q/S kit, but it's an expensive experiment to try and if things don't work it leaves you with either a useless PC or a useless Q/S kit.

However if it works ok your onto a winner but I still think for the amount of money spent to achieve this against the time you save using a Q/S or the power you gain using a PC for road riding it's just not worth the ££. Your money would be far better spent in rider training if you want to go quicker. But that is of course my opinion so the choice is yours to make ;)

Cheers

Steve

5. Agreed, not sure how much benefit I get from the quickshifter in time, but it it s lot of fun and makes the bike sound awesome, just imho.

6. henrymc

henrymc

Hi Kingfixer i got a Power Commander fitted to my 675 also got a Zard full system. In my case it has made a big change as i was running the bike on the Triumph race map for a while untill i could get the pc111 fitted. it filled out the mid range by 8bhp and the top end by 5bhp now throwing out 114.24 at the back wheel up from 110bhp. Chris Gunter from Grimsby who done the tune for me rekons thats not bad as he tuned a 675 for the T3 with the race set up and it was makeing 118bhp at the back wheel. i would say that if you have the standard or just the TOR then the triumph maps are fine . In Performance Bike, issue December 2007 there was a article on a very special 675, tricked up by a Germam company called G-LAB, its giveing out 142bhp and thats it revving out to 1400rpm and not to 15500rpm as the super sport bike. G-LAB say that they built it not to German super sport rules but as they wanted, just as a what if project, a sort of a 675R?

7. kingfixer

kingfixer

Very interesting Henrymc, cheers :D

8. SteveH

SteveH

Perfect case in point Henrymc. Yes you'll see some gains using an aftermarket (or free-er) flowing exhaust once the engine management has been remapped (ie a PC fitted) to suit that specific system, as with the increased ability to flow more exhaust gasses out the back you can afford to whack more fuel into the mix, acheiving more power as more fuels being burnt. To maximise this type of modification though you need to up the airflow really, so you'd be as well to put a free-er flowing airfilter on before you have the bike mapped.

The result of this mod in your case (ie with the Zard & PC I assume the airfilter is OE) is increased midrange. Altering the inlet stacks, modifying the inlet/exhaust valves and changing the cams can have the same effect but depending on the type and scale of the mod depends on where your power gains will be.

IIRC longer inlet stacks create more low end torque, short inlet stacks create more top end power. It may be the other way round I can't remember, but that was the case on my old track car running Jenvey quad choke fuel injected throttle bodies with an Emerald M3D ecu. so I presume the same principle counts for bike tuning. After all an I C engine is an I C engine right!

The next bit is just my opinion, it may be right, may be wrong but it's an opinion and not meant to offend so please don't start flaming it.

I still stand by the fact that for the sort of money it costs to get this sort of work done you'd be better investing your money in some rider training (which incidentally is not bike specific so you only need to spend the money once for repeated benefit whatever bike you own in the future, but each to their own ;) You need to be a seriously talented rider to even notice the minimal gains you get from tuning a bike this mildly and riding on the road. It's not like suspension or chassis tuning where the difference is noticable at all speeds. So in essense this type of tuning is all about (and this is not a *derogatory* (*spelling) comment) but bragging rights down the pub about bhp numbers, and doesn't my bike sound great :p Which I totally agree it probably does, but I'd rather be a little quieter and be able to do evening trackdays in the summer lol.

Cheers

Steve

9. henrymc

henrymc

No prob Steve i know exactly what you are saying, yea money spent learning better skills is more important than tuning as i have done. The tune was only done to marry the can and engine, to get 8bhp in the mid range was a bonus, I got the Zard can because i liked the look of it it also means that my leg does not get cooked when i am in slow traffic on a hot day, as for the sound it is pretty good, i had a TOR can fitted before the Zard and while the Zard is not that much louder it has a far deeper sound, the way i look at is if you buy a good music system you would not hook it up to a naff pair of speakers would you? :lol:

10. kingfixer

kingfixer

Well i bit the bullet and had the pc fitted anyway, along with a new air filter as well which they said would benefit the bike with the pc fitted.This was all done at JHS Racing in bristol. I am not technical at all when it comes to bikes, but what i can say the difference to the bike is amazing. As much as i love my 675 i always found 1st & 2nd gears very unforgiving very snatchy, i don't know if they are all like this. but now after the pc has been fitted the acceleration and the 'feel' through the throttle is so smooth it's like riding a different bike.Like i said im not technical so i don't know if an ordinary re map would have got the same results, but for me it's fantastic. it did cost a lot nearly £350 all in but you have to spend money on the things you love don't you ? oh yes i also have a fiance but we won't go into that :whistle:

11. henrymc

henrymc

Hi Kingfixer good to hear you noticed a difference in the fueling of your 675 after you fitted your pc, was it a pc3 or a pc5? also what air filter did you fit? Also agree with you no harm spending money on your bike , its your money after all. As the Triumph slogan says ,GO YOUR OWN WAY.

12. kingfixer

kingfixer

Hi Henry,

PC3 they fitted and it was a DNA filter, would i have got the same results from just a re map, i dont know !!!

13. henrymc

henrymc

Hi Kingfixer just read a article in Fast bike magazine in the August issue page 80, not a big fan of fast bike mag but they have a 675 as a staff bike and i will read anything to do with a 675 that is printed.
    They explain it better than i can, a pc plus dyno and a free flowing filter means that you get to set up your bike so you get optimum fuel efficiency rather than a average setting that you get when you use a pre set map its not about more power but the bike runs better and as you have noticed on your bike, crisper throttle response with better fuel efficiency.
    Have you been down the Cheddar Gorge on the 675? bet it would sound good in there with the Arrow can no the 675?

14. MAD675

MAD675

Hi, when I had my Triumph TT600 I bought a thing called a "Tuneboy" as an alternative to the PC. It enables you to do everyrhing yourself by conecting your laptop directly to the bikes ECU. It also gets info from the ECU like any fault codes etc. I found it a good bit of kit and the connection is the same for all triumphs, just need to buy a software key for each individual ECU. They have a good website with all the info on it, may be worth a look as an alternative.

15. kingfixer

kingfixer

Hi Henry,

Yes i agree it's not really about extra power but how the bike is handling etc, after the dyno i did get a extra 3.5 torques :eek: . But i think you would have to be a brilliant rider to use this extra bit not just an average rider like me :D :D

16. SteveH

SteveH

Only problem with that would be if you tune it yourself and it's running to rich or to lean you could end up with an UBER expensive bill or worst case scenario you'd need a new engine. Rich I guess would kill your catalytic convertor at best and clog up your engine. Lean would just destroy your engine, and probably your exhaust and cat also as you'd be firing bits of piston through it.

Steve