675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Proposal to increase MOT fees as of next year

Discussion in 'Rants & Raves' started by paws, Nov 18, 2009.

1. paws

paws

2. jimjam39

jimjam39

Barstewards :evil:

3. D41

D41

Let's face it - the fees are never gonna go DOWN now, are they???

4. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

I didn't know that the max permitted fee was £54! - I've never paid that!!!! But if you did pay £54, a raise of 85p is hardly significant, so not worth complaining about IMO.

5. kingfixer

kingfixer

+1 :|

6. ive noticed some of the big car dealers doing MOT's for £20-£30 i've never paid full price for one, ive yet to have an mot on the bike so i cant comment about the price for the bike yet!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My memories of MOT’s in the UK are very mixed as it’s a lottery of what the garages deems is passable or not.
    I recall one of the first (oldish) cars I bought had a 3 week old MOT and it turned out to be a right shed with no comebacks on the MOT station as ‘it was ok when it was tested’.

MOT stations here are state/government run and are immaculately maintained with fairly helpful staff who will top up your water or adjust your lights etc.
    The test involves a rolling road that shakes the car from side to side and the whole test is done with you next to the tester if you choose.
    If it goes on the road, it has to have an mot/number plate so things like trailers and caravans are done every other year. (Bikes are every other year too)
    (All the profits go directly into ‘road projects’)

8. D41

D41

No testing of any kind for bikes in CA...registration is higher comparative to cars, as bikes are classified as recreational vehicles. Car & truck testing consists of a "Smog Check" every 2 years once the vehicle is over 5 years old - basically just checking the exhaust emissions.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My bike will be 4 next year and will have its first MOT and it will actually be ridden by the tester! (I took my XL500 for its test a few months ago and the tester couldn’t start it :lol: )

Recreational vehicle hey, losing out on some money there aren’t they?

10. redseven

redseven

I think you lot are hard on the girls on here. Behave! All the same what what happened to the "pink slip" The so called proof of security with Yanky doodle vehicles?

11. I'm sorry but I haven't got a clue what this means. :roll:

12. D41

D41

"Pink slips" are the ownership documents, - as to red7's 1st remark I'm as much in the dark as you, Godzilla. :?

13. henrymc

henrymc

count me in on that one also lads, not sure what that is about but you should be ashamed of yourselves anyway :scramble: :scramble: :scramble:

14. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

I'm not really too fussed. I never hold on to a car long enough to have to worry about getting an MOT lol!

15. Rowly

Rowly

I'm afraid this small increase in the mot charge is just one of the many proposals not yet in the public domain but as sure as the sun come up every day we will all paying more for everything in 2010 to dig this government out of the great big black hell hole they have got us in, vat rise to 20%, income tax 2p in the pound rise, national insurance contributions between 1 and 3p rise to try and plug the pensions crisis, in fact if it moves they will tax it!! so enjoy your wonderful life now before 2010 starts, you've been warned the gloom will descend on us all
    May I take this opportunity to wish all the members a happy new year????????? :D

16. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

Nah I quite like 2009 thanks, i'll stay here!