675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Race Starts???

Discussion in 'Riding Tips' started by Pablo Pirate, May 19, 2016.

1. Pablo Pirate

Pablo Pirate

Race start technique???
    I have just competed my first race with NLR and had a cracking time.....however it became apparent I can't do starts. 9th to 18th first corner.

So I'm sat on the grid 7000 revs (This is my first 600) - red light out - ease out the clutch and open the throttle.....watch everyone fly past = Bugger!

2nd time blipping the throttle at about 7-9000 same again

3rd time blipping throttle 8-10000 - Better result but slight double wheelie (If that makes sense?)

So is it best to hold constant revs then let the clutch go while opening the throttle to try and maintain the revs? Or blip the throttle like a mad man on a 2 stroke?

Any advice welcome

Cheers Pablo

2. I hold the revs around 10k, where peak torque is and then let the clutch out quickly but smoothly. I have the clutch just below the biting point and stop it creeping with one finger on the front brake. I usually wheelie in 1st but as I shift up to 2nd it drops down. At Donny I was up to 4th by the end of the straight so change back down to 3rd for turn 1.

Have you practiced much?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Launch control and anti wheelie. Does the job

4. And thats why he's called the snake! lol

5. Pablo Pirate

Pablo Pirate

Nope only on the actual race. Not had the bike long, need to find a deserted bit of road to play on. Bike was running the wrong gearing as well I think? +2 on the rear, should have just gone for +1. With my fat carcass and poor throttle control it was wheeling of the start instead of driving forward.
    I'll give that a go - 10,000

Cheers Pablo

6. Pablo Pirate

Pablo Pirate

If it could have launch control I'd have it!! Can the 2013 run launch control or do I have to stick to clown control?

7. Watching guy Martin on his F1 challenge he used the rear brake off the line to keep the front wheel down while pinning the throttle.

Only watching not tried it myself.

8. You know you can practice at the end of qualifying too?

There are a few systems available, Grip One seems to be popular at he moment....

Last edited: May 19, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Bigmac

Bigmac

I've got the oddest starting technique now but it works for me.
    Just keep trying different methods and see what is comfortable for you

• Like Like x 1
  10. Pablo Pirate

Pablo Pirate

Didn't realise about the practice initially, just carried on round Coppice.
    Did stop the 2nd Qualifying and made an even bigger hash of it.
    Will just keep practicing.....as long as I don't end up like that bloke on the M1 Yamaha, flipping it on the line :eek:

11. lean forward over the tank..that will stop the front coming up too much. You want it to lift a little for the perfect start.

starts are the best part of the race for me...gain a few places then go backwards after the first corner!

12. D41

D41

Yep....I managed a magnificent stall on my first race...I er, wanted to give the other racers a bit of a headstart....

10K or thereabouts worked better in the 2nd heat...as did much less nerves, as the bike was working fine, it was me that was the problem. Frequently is.

13. In gear, over the front, front brake on, clutch just biting, forks compress slightly, 10000 rpm, lights out, go, feed clutch smooth as, front hovers, 2nd gear, elbows out for first turn madness ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Pablo Pirate

Pablo Pirate

Thanks for all the tips gents!
    I'll see what happens at Anglesey.

15. come and say hello mate

• Like Like x 1
  16. U want too see a bad start wait till I'm out there at Anglesey #4. Try not to run into me

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rear brake & blip for me seems to be working at the minute.
    I do need to try this 10k & go tho to see what I'm missing out on.

18. Bigmac

Bigmac

I can't hold a brake, it gets all messy so I lock my right leg against the foot peg, left leg up so I'm stood up and over the tank
    bike at around 8-10k and the clutch out enough so it's trying to go, it hurts my calf but it seems to work for me

• Like Like x 1
  19. Pablo Pirate

Pablo Pirate

Will do.

Had a look at last years TSL and there seems to be some cracking time!

20. Have a look at the race 2 result ;)

• Like Like x 1