675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Radiator protection grill

Discussion in 'General' started by Rowly, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Rowly

Rowly

Anyone any opinions or thoughts, worth the money, anyone got one fitted?
    Seen em on Ebay ,Just seems a good idea to protect the rad an oil cooler
    from crap thrown up

2. Stu

Stu

After riding 675's for 3 years all year round I have never found a requirement for a rad protector. I know Bandit riders like to have them and to be fair the rad is little more exposed on an undressed bike. Now a exhaust actuator valve protection grill would be a good idea. I've been attacking Jean's exhaust valve today an managed to get her management light off. This time it wasn't the cables but the axle that the cable attach to. A bit of oil and a bit of a wiggle sorted it out :D

3. Rowly

Rowly

I would have to agree with you on the actuator grill with all the pain it seems to cause.
    Haven't experienced it yet but judging from yours, Japs and a few others on here
    it wont be long before I do. As for the rad grill I'm thinking of the expense of replacement
    if needed they look very pricey around £250 and thats second hand, considering the price
    of a grill seems money well spent if the rad gets damaged, but thanks for your advice
    Stu ;)

4. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

I like rad grills, and if you have a little creativity in your personality and a little time to spend on it, you can actually make quite a nice one yourself rather than paying for a mass-produced one for an extortionate price.

I saw a few guys who had made a rad grill themselves, so I thought i'd give it a bash. So I trotted off to B&Q, where theres a nice selection or meshing that comes in about 3'x2' cuts and depending on the style between £10 and £15. I locked myself away in the garage and less than an hour later, voila! Better than any grill I found online (in my opinion) and its unique. And plus I made it fit the whole space just behind the front fairing. Small enough mesh to stop any stones etc from going though, but big enough to allow the rad to breath and not overheat. :D

5. SteveH

SteveH

Having had this exact problem on my last bike. Turned out VERY expensive when a piece of flint buried itself into my 916's rad I'm looking to do something like this myself on my 675. I'll get some pics up once I figure out what I'm going to do.

Cheers

Steve