675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Ram Air System

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by ESY675, Nov 26, 2009.

1. ESY675

ESY675

2. No downsides at all really. You loose the little flappy thing put in the intake by the noise police and gain carbon loveliness. Oh and a fair few hundred quid aswell!! More for the supersport spec engine really but putting it on a standard bike won't be held against you...(jelous)

3. How easy would that be to fit? And would it need a new map?

Thanks

4. ESY675

ESY675

Im looking to give it to the Boys @ T3 - Racing to fit, but i guess it will need a remap due to more air being forced. but i dont care as long as the result is more power.

5. Chances are a remap won,t be required as they are the same size as standard. The only thing they lack is the aforementioned flap. Fitting it requires the top fairing and head lights to be removed as one. Then the speedo, tilt switch and barometric pressure sensor are disconnected. Just fold and tape up the pipe for the flap actuator, cos when you come to sell, you will probably want to sell me all your carbon lovliness separately! 4x M6 bolts go through the air tube holding it on to the headstock and you can now swap black plastic for lashings of carbon(and incur my eternal jelousy!).

6. Thanks IG, have you seen the pic of my lovely carbon hugger?

7. henrymc

henrymc

So the only difference in the two air boxes is the flap on the standard one?
    the are the same size then?
    On my bike, since I had the Power commander 111 fitted and a custom tune done, the flap on the air box is open all the time!

8. Hi Godzilla, good taste in huggers...same as mine. Got a Nitron race shock and as the standard hugger was woefully inadiquate at keeping the road poo at bay I partook of some carbon lovliness!

henrymc
    As far as I can see they are the same size, perhaps smoother internally but not alot of scope to improve flow. You would have to port and flow the headstock ram air port and other more complicated stuff. Interesting thing about the flap with the custom map... What exhaust/air filter are you running and have you had it on the dyno yet?
    Appologies for the thread hi-jackage.

L,P&B

Colon

9. henrymc

henrymc

Hi gymnast, I got a K&N race filter, Zard 3>1 stainless steel full system, (track only) :smileup: power commander 111, and the bike has been custom mapped by Chris Gunter in Grimsby. it was Gunter who told me the flap would be open all the time now because of the power commander and the custom map? The bike was making 110 bhp at the back wheel before the map with the Zard and TOR map, its now making 114.24 at the back wheel, I think it was either 5 or 8 bhp he got out of it in the midrange thou, main thing is it has far crisper response now and is real smooth riding through traffic now at low speed.

10. Ooh..! Zard lovliness (hyperventilating!!!! sits down....) Interesting results for the mid range. I am currently building my own zorst. Standard down pipes with cat and valve removed. 2" link pipe to a SIDE MOUNT hexagonal Akro can. I am also going the K&N route, but am undecided on the PC/tuneboy/remap options. T3 will custom remap the standard ecu for about £250. Just remember to tell the Triumph garage to leave the map alone on the next service!

11. henrymc

henrymc

Hi IG there will be no prob with the lads in my local Triumph on the map issue as they were the guys who pointed me in the direction of the guy who done the custom map, if you are interested in the chart of my remap IG then pm me a email address and I will send it over to you.
    I have been thinking of getting some more work done on the bike but i was going to have a chat with John Trigger (JT Preformance) but i want to get the suspension sorted out first.

12. Hi henrymc, will pm you for the map, thankyou. I have the 20mm Ktech fork conversion with matching springs(standard weight) and a Nitron race rear shock. I love it! The previous owner had it set up by Colin at 100% suspension and I don't(for now) touch it between track and road. Am looking for a zx10r akro can with a 60mm inlet. Thats the only thing that is holding me up at the mo!

13. I LURVE the CF air tube but when I asked Tony (T3) about it for the road he said it wouldn't be stable enought to hold the clocks / lights in position. Has anyone bought one yet and tried this out or are they all on 'Track' only bikes?

14. Damn I was thinking about that as well :(. I thought carbon was supposed to be miles stronger than plastic :(