675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Replaced the exhaust valve cables

Discussion in 'General' started by Stu, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Stu

Stu

I changed the exhaust valve actuator cables today on the wife's bike. What a bitch of a job. Everything was corroded, jammed, stuck and just unwilling to move. I managed to get one of the screws out that hold the cover on at the valve end but I had to grind the other one off. I was hoping the stub left would be long enough to get the mole grips on but it wasn't :( The cable ends were welled in so I had to remove the wheel and spring assembly and punch them out. Fortunately the sping went back quite easily. Then where the outer cables are mounted wouldn't budge so I had to cut them off with the Dremel. Not much fun I can tell you - in all it took me 6 hours.

Fitting the new cables was relatively simple but things to note for anyone doing it themselves are: Have only 5mm of thread showing where the outer cables 'poke' through the mounting points. LIne the arrow up at the 9 o'clock position on the cable wheel and line up the accutator end so the cables look even. Tighten up until there is 12-14mm gap when the cables are pushed towards each other.

The engine light is still on so it will be a trip to the dealers to clear the light if 3 heat cycles doesn't clear it.

Good job it was raining today as I would not have been happy stuck in the garage when I could have been riding. My back is starting to hurt now even though the bike was on a lift.

2. Thaibite

Thaibite

Thank you my lovely hubby for sorting my bike, I'll massage your back later :)

3. Stu

Stu

There was a reason for my post. How do I get the screw thread out of the hole. :D

4. Stu

Stu

Looks like I'm on a promise :D

5. never done it myself but you can get tools that will do it, you drill into the remaining bit of the screw with a very fine bit and then screw this tool into the hole you made (like a tap and die set) then when you unscrew it, hopefully the screw will come out with it :? sorry mate, wish i could be clearer.

6. mattg

mattg

the tool you need is a reverse thread bit, called an extractor, so instead of a clockwise threaded drill bit its anti clockwise, so as it screws in it will force the thread out. it might be an idea to heat it up and/or coat in wd40 to help release it. however if its as stuck in as you discribe then this probibly wont work. your best bet is to cut the remaining thread square off then find a drill bit that is slightly smaller than the bolt size. then you can 'tap' out the remaining bolt thats left hopefuly leavin the thread. it might need rethreading using a tapit set

7. Stu

Stu

I've had the fairing off Thaibite's bike again to set the cables. A bit of frigging about and I've managed to set them correctly. Three heat cycles and the engine management light is now out. A ball ache of a job but I don't like paying people to do things I can do myself:)