Jean’s bike broke down last week and she thought it was the battery. Replacing the battery didn’t help so that meant it was either the alternator or the voltage regulator. The easiest way to check is to take the alternator cover off to see if any of the winding are burnt. They weren’t but the gasket was shagged and needed replacing at £13. Jean bought a second hand voltage regulator from Triumph-ant at a cost of £75 plus vat and p&p. Triumph wanted over £150 plus vat for a new one. To fit it needs the tank off and to be honest the rear shock should be undone at the top. To undo the shock an abba stand is needed or the bike on axle stands on the footpegs. Anyhoo I managed to get the bolts from the regulator bracket out with an 8mm ring spanner. Putting it back was the time when I was wishing I’d undone the shocker The reg just needed the two plugs disconnecting then the new one could be fitted. On inspecting the old reg I found that it wasn’t faulty but the wiring was. Two wires had corroded and separated from the plug. A job for another day but I will be getting it re plugged and keeping it as spare. Putting the bike back together is just the reverse. Plug the new regulator in and try to get the bolts back in for the bracket. Removing the rear brake fluid reservoir makes the off side bolt easy but the near side bolt is a twat. Pop the tank back on and jobs a gud’un. While all this is going on the old battery was on charge on the Optimate. It’s not quite full but it has 12.6 volts in it. Jean pops the battery back on and fires up the bike. I pop the volt meter on and it reads 13.98v – Success.