675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Restricted Daytona

Discussion in 'General' started by ali.murison, Feb 14, 2009.

1. ali.murison

ali.murison

Hey guys,
    I currently have an aprilia RS 125, being just 17 and having passed my full bike test last august.
    However i was thinking of upsizing this year, but still have an imposed 33bhp limit, ovcourse.
    I'm reeeeeeeeeeeeeealy tempted to get an 06 or 07 daytona 675, with a limiter on it,
    but..... seen as this is taking off like 90bhp at the crank, i was wondering how the bike would ride?
    I've been recommended a Suzuki SV 650s, but much prefer the supersports style of the 675....
    So, any ideas on how a restricted one would run?
    much appreciated, thanks.
    ali.

2. Stu

Stu

Hi Ali

I don't know how a restricted 675 would ride but I can imagine it would be awful. I had a Mk1 SV650 restricted and that was very noticeable. I also had a restricted Suzuki GS500 which I could really tell that it had been doctored. It was quicker in 5th than 6th :) You'll still look good on it though :eek:

3. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Welcome to the forum Ali, There is a lad in Rochdale with a restricted 675. I will try and flag him down and get his opinion and let you know. Bit hit and miss as to when I will see him next s ocould be some time :(

4. ali.murison

ali.murison

cheers mate, big help, would love the bike but that 33bhp limit is gonna be a pest!

5. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

With an injection engine, the bhp is restricted electronically. You notice restrictions on carb bike big time, but injections, the only time you will really notice a huge difference is top end at higher speed. The top speed will be pegged, and revs will be limited in higher gears, but acceleration shouldnt change much in the lower gears. I wasnt aware that triumph did a restrictor for the 675, maybe its worth you looking into ali. The 33bhp restriction was a pest for 2 years, but it soon goes. Dont be tempeted to cheat the system, cos your insurance company wouldnt cough up if you had a prang.

6. ali.murison

ali.murison

That sounds like it wouldn't be too bad then, cos i'm not gonna need to be hittin 165mph on a daily basis anyway, lol
    i've heard triumph do do one, and the local dealer said they could fit it no probs, they just had no idea how the bike would behave with like a quarter of it's standard power. either way it'll be miles different to my little 2stroke 125!
    cheers

ali

7. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

Itll still be good for about 100. With the injected engines, the 33bhp is normally a different ECU which just plugs in like a game boy cartridge replacing the full power one, and then when your restriction comes to an end, you simply swap them back over, or sooner if you wish. But yeah it'll be quite a lot better than a 125 2-stroke. I wish I could of had a 675 when I was restricted! Keep us posted on what you do, and dont forget, we like pictures!

8. mike675se

mike675se

Hi mate, well done on passing your test! Well in my opinion the 675 is one of the best looking bikes around. A friend of mine was looking into the same thing as you, i'll touch base with him today and see how far he got. Also there's a really nice 675se for sale on here if you're interested! (my one)

9. ali.murison

ali.murison

thanks, dunno if i'm quite ready to upsize yet, still a bit short on cash, this summer some time, but it would be good to hear how your mate got on,
    cheers

ali

10. I'd wait. Ride something else and get a Daytona when you can ride it like as it's designed to be ridden. The wait will make it all the more sweet in the end.

11. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

Yeah i'd go along with that. Save the best until you can enjoy it to the full!

12. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

Triumph do make a restrictor kit but it's a throttle restrictor and nothing to do with the ECU.

TBH you are wasting your shekels. Get a SV650S, huge fun and you'll learn a lot - you often find SVs that have already been restricted on ebay. I can't imagine my 675 restricted. Sorry to lower the tone but it would be like sex with half a dozen condoms.

13. T9Steve

T9Steve

Ali
    If I were you I would consider spending your money on de-restricting the RS125 and getting the power output up to 33bhp. My son did this when he passed his test and had great fun running with bigger bikes and suprised many riders with how well it went. The handling of the RS125 & RS250 is on a par with many bigger bikes. The two years will pass much quicker if your out enjoying yourself.

14. ali.murison

ali.murison

ok thanks alot guys, sounds good to me, lol at the 6condoms!
    What's the best way to squeeze more bhp out of an RS then?
    think i will just wait, 125odd BHP....... just a year and a half! lol
    thanks again