675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Riding on the wrong side of the road

Discussion in 'Riding Tips' started by Edski675, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Edski675

Edski675

Administrator Staff Member

Anyone do it?

I used to, to get better vision into a corner, but decided it was just too dangerous. Reason I ask is, I saw someone doing it on the Barmouth ride (no it wasn't Jap :lol: ) and just wonder if it's a widespread practice.

2. I will cut across a corner if I can see what's coming.

On another note, I was on my way back from Chesterfield on Mon and watched a car go into a blind bend on the wrong side. If there had been a bike coming the other way, he's have been dead.

3. only on the odd occasion, if it's purely for the sake of better visibility then fair enough but if it's to carry more speed round a corner with bad visibility then you're just asking for trouble.... one day the luck will run out.

4. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Hi Ed, your right it's not something I find I need to do as if I cant see where I'm going I back off end of :geek:

Just out of interest where in Chesterfield were you Only and which way did you head back through Bakewell/Buxton/Glossop per chance :?:

5. I was at Doe Lea (visiting the mother in law again). Came back through Chapel en le Frith, Stockport and then M60 home.

6. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Know it well I am from Temple Normanton................ Dad still lives there ;)

Nice ride over tops, bit boring once past Chapel though :shock:

We really need a good Derbyshire Run out organising, Bakewell, Buxton, Monsal Dale, Matlock Bath, Belper........... Alfreton could even call in at the Micron Factory there :geek: :ugeek:

7. Edski675

Edski675

Administrator Staff Member

Let me know when and I'll hop over :)

8. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

The Police Drivers Handbook encourage motorcylists to move over to the other side of the road to maximise visibility around bends, however just remember you do not have right of way, and so make sure you always leave enough time and/or space to tuck back in.

I occasionally wonder over the other side on a nice long bend but normally i'm quite happy staying where i am supposed to be.

9. andysjt

andysjt

i always think that if you gain speed by moving into the other lane ,will you be going to fast if you need to get back into your lane especialy on bends ?

10. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

Only if you are riding to the limit of the bike, which lets face it is hard to do on public roads in this day and age. It's your personal limit that is 99% of the time reached and breached before the bike. It's all about your reducing your thinking time in the event of something unexpected occuring like a tractor round the bend for example.

11. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

I onl have one problem with the last statment SV_Justin.......................if I wen round bends at my personal limit I would have found myself in a lot mor sticky situations han I do. It having the comon sence to know when and when not to give it a little rice :?

The chap on our last ride out is living proof we all have different limits and skill levels. Ride fast, ride safe, enjoy ever minute and if you don't get it right first time, turn round, go back and do it again & again if need be till you come out the bend with that "Gut feeling" that says "That felt right"...............followed by the "Big Grin" Factor :D :D :D

Happy Riding Folks ;) :cool: :ugeek:

12. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

Yeah I agree, I hardly ever ride to my limit anymore as i've realised it leaves less room for error, and then i'm more likely to get caught out and either a) hurt myself, or b) get a fine lol

And yeah, totally agree with you on that one;

Although I would say this is more skill and experience rather than personal limit. I consider a personal limit to be breached when you get yourself in a situtation you cant get out of and end up having an off and damaging your poor baby in most cases.

13. It's referred to as 'offsiding'.

14. spike

spike

i had two get offs on my last bike and both times i was riding well within my personel limits and the bikes :eek:
    one on a fast bend and once on a roundabout and both times i had no chance as i low sided and lost the front :cry:
    both times were caused by DIESEL :evil: :evil: :evil:
    but i agree it is best to ride well within your limits, unless your on a trackday of course ;) :D