675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Roundabout etiquette

Discussion in 'Riding Tips' started by Edski675, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Edski675

Edski675

Administrator Staff Member

I occasionally overtake on them - but when I can't, I apex them. In other words, approach left lane (if there are two lanes), quick right mirror and lifesaver, pull into right lane so as to flatten the curve, quick left mirror and lifesaver, indicate left in case some numpty hasn't recognised what I'm doing, and then straight on, cutting across the lane at the exit.

Anyone else do this? Try it, you'll like it :D

Edski

2. D41

D41

Do it all the time - the only major roundabout in the OC is about 1/2 mile from my house...if I wanna survive on it I HAVE to pass the retards who have no frickin' idea at all what a roundabout is - can't blame 'em really, the thing has parking spaces & crosswalks on it, really dangerous - I'll try & get a pic or two to post. :)

3. Doing this is part of the IAM way of riding roundabouts :)

4. Impressive Godzilla.....very informative!

5. D41

D41

Bugger! I read it like he was coming in the direction of the blue arrows :duh:

6. Thats coz u drive on the wrong side of the road and dont have roundabouts lol

7. Thank the IAM not me I just plagiarised it, hope they dont mind lol

8. D41

D41

Yes, we do have roundabouts!! Well, we have one.........[​IMG]

9. :rotfl:

Well at least you didn't disagree with driving on the wrong side of the road.
    ;)

10. Edski675

Edski675

One's enough. You can impress all the folks over there in Orange County with just how quick you can get round :D

I see so many riders trundling round r/bouts sticking to the far left. This is of course what you have to do on the bike test, I remember my instructor telling me to keep as far left as possible, and I did it on the test and the examiner seemed to approve. D41 - you will need to interpret references to the left as to the right ;) Now the instructor's advice was all well and good, but if some idiot pulls out or fails to stop at the white lines then you're toast. So it's much safer to apex them, and a lot quicker too.

11. D41

D41

I totally agree Edski, - so many of the things I was taught on my MSF course & DMV written exam are NOT what you should be doing out there in the real world. I had been on a permit for 2 years before I did the course, which only served to make it even harder. Still, the requirements in Cali are waaaay less stringent than UK requirements - I feel bad for you guys, as they things they want from you over there do not necessarily equate to good riding technique...simply what some bureaucrat THINKS is a responsible way to bring in more cash to the DVLC.

12. Deegee

Deegee Moderator Staff Member

^^^^^^ Yup we have a copy of this in Colchester, and another down at Sadlers Farm near Canvey, ( :flame: ) confusion reigns as far as lane control goes on these, and what's worse is that the poor sods taking their test in Colchester nearly always get that one as part of the test route..... :eek:

Still, ref Edski's o.p, I always take this line when there no competitors for space on the roundabout. Am I IAM?

Hey D41 - do they call em roundabouts or traffic circles out there in sunshine land? ( I've come across one or two english speaking countries that do refer to them as TC's is all).

13. Edski675

Edski675

Ha, I'd forgotten about this thread. If I tried riding round the roundabout in question at the moment I'd be off - it's covered in snow and ice still. But the general approach holds good, straight as you can across the r/bout, you have to be ultra careful if there's other traffic around and you must do all the necessary obbos, but it's the fastest way across (unless you like surfing the council flower bed in the middle) and you can use it to wake up a few dozy farts and to make very good progress :lol:

14. Apex this, you guys!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

[​IMG]

:scramble: :lol:

15. Edski675

Edski675

Oh wow that looks fun :lol:

16. Deegee

Deegee Moderator Staff Member

Moonwitch - that's a carbon copy of the "Greenstead" r/out in Colchester I mentioned, can you imagine how many indicator movements there are for that according to Test standards!! AAAARRRRGGHH!

The Trilby hats don't bother with any of course..... ;)

17. Used to live down that neck of the woods, and it was part of my commute... :eek:
    You have to kinda bully your way around :p and gesticulate a lot :erm:
    I can imagine the planning meeting when they designed it - half a dozen geeks and a Spirograph :rotfl:

18. You wanna see a bunch of clueless people try to negotiate a roundabout....well come on down under....we have plenty of them in West Oz and everyone kinda makes up their own rules each time they approach them.

My best mate over here is from Cov and he abuses the crap out of every user he judges as gormless and simply barges thru in his Toyota 4x4.....then you realise he hasn't indicated once himself. :shock:

The worst are the plethora of asian students here that just stop completely at the entries until they are sure there isn't another vehicle within a 3 mile radius.